Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy detour to Grand Design XLS ownership

I’m a new member and fairly new to camping. I’m 55 and decided to tent camp back in May with my wife here in Connecticut. Purchased $2000 in equipment and it rained the entire weekend and it was very cold. The following week we purchased a 2021 Retro 135 that could be towed with our 2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT (3500lb capacity). First camping trip in the new camper was over the recent July 4th weekend. Again, rained all weekend (this time in New Hampshire). Spending so much time inside we decided the camper was just too small. The following week we traded the Subaru for a 2021 Ford Ranger (7500lb capacity). Our garage is small so we went with the smaller truck. This past weekend we traded the Retro 135 for a 2022 imagine XLS 22MLE. The dealer has one coming in around mid-August so the wait will be short.

Of course, this has given me time to read everything I can find online about this awesome trailer. I do have some concerns that the truck may be too small for the weight but I have seen multiple reports of smaller tow vehicles handling the unit just fine. Time will tell. With the shortage of vehicles right now I don’t even want to think about another upgrade.

Super excited to be joining the Grand Design family. Just wish I had taken a more direct approach to get her.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group and the 22mle gang. We really love ours. As for your TV, it all depends on your payload. Loaded for a trip with 1/3 fresh water, our tw is around 760. Look at your yellow door sticker inside the driver door for your cargo capacity.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m told the tw is 750lbs. We don’t plan on traveling with any fresh water as all booked sites for the next 15 months are pull-thru full hookup sites within about an hours drive.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the cult.
    Last time out, our tongue weight measured at 775 lbs. using a Shuline scale. I pull fine with our half ton so it will be interesting to see how your Ranger works out.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful folks here. My crystal ball tells me you will upgrade your truck, and then a little while later you will contemplate the fact that your truck could haul a bigger camper...
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I’ll give you another year and four more trade ins until you end up with the biggest Solitude!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're towing a 21bhe with a Colorado (7000lb tow) and it tows fine so I would think your Ranger will be fine with the 22mle.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, welcome to the GD family!
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS