User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Check out this link.....Your info in not accurate about ebikes on National Park Trails...
    https://electrek.co/2019/09/02/elect...0park%20trails.

Specifically, this paragraph...
    The new law allows all three classes of e-bikes to ride on cycling trails in national parks, though Class 2 and Class 3 e-bikes are not allowed to use the throttle control. Those e-bikes must be pedaled like standard Class 1 e-bikes while on national park trails. Thus far it appears this will be handled on the honor system.
    So... "effectively" only class 1 bikes can be used. I suppose disabling the throttle on a class 2 or 3 renders the bike as pretty much a non-ebike.
    I think we're splitting hairs here. And I doubt most class 2 folks will actually disable their own throttles (personal experience).

Interestingly enough, when visiting Zion NP one can rent a class 2 ebike at dozens of places in town and enter the park unchallenged. However, those rental companies are required to disable the throttles or face punitive action (supposedly). When I spoke to a ranger there last year he talked about how there may now be too many bikes in the park (electric and non-electric) as the hoards of them at The Narrows is causing bike parking issues on busy days/times (think weekends and holidays). So much so that they were studying the problem with eye on how to get control of the situation.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would unplugging the throttle render and ebike useless? We rarely use our throttles and if needed will just jump up a level or two.
    Just me but I'd have no problem unplugging my throttle to be able to ride my ebike somewhere.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many laws are enforced when something goes wrong. As long are you are responsible, they are not going to pull you over for throttle control. Ride at 50mph without pedaling and then, if they catch you, you will be looked at more closely.

Same way with drinking in some City/State RV parks. Be normal and everything is fine.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Many laws are enforced when something goes wrong. As long are you are responsible, they are not going to pull you over for throttle control. Ride at 50mph without pedaling and then, if they catch you, you will be looked at more closely.

Same way with drinking in some City/State RV parks. Be normal and everything is fine.
    Exactly. The other instance where someone could standout is riding on bike trails/paths that don't allow ebikes. Unless your ebikes battery is really well concealed you'll standout like a sore thumb.
    It's really unfair IMO that ebikes are banned on the same trails/paths as regular bikes. It's mostly because of ignorance on the part of those making the rules along with a few ebike owners that ride half hazard without regard for others.

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    So... "effectively" only class 1 bikes can be used. I suppose disabling the throttle on a class 2 or 3 renders the bike as pretty much a non-ebike.
    I think we're splitting hairs here. And I doubt most class 2 folks will actually disable their own throttles (personal experience).

Interestingly enough, when visiting Zion NP one can rent a class 2 ebike at dozens of places in town and enter the park unchallenged. However, those rental companies are required to disable the throttles or face punitive action (supposedly). When I spoke to a ranger there last year he talked about how there may now be too many bikes in the park (electric and non-electric) as the hoards of them at The Narrows is causing bike parking issues on busy days/times (think weekends and holidays). So much so that they were studying the problem with eye on how to get control of the situation.
    I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion about "effectively" only class 1 bikes can be used. Not using the throttle doesn't stop an ebike from still offering "assist" or power, but only when you are pedaling also. My bike and my wife's bike have 0 - 5 levels....0 being no assist, and 5 being the most assist offered.....but only while you are pedaling. It has nothing to do with the throttle, that is a separate control operated by your thumb on our bikes. So my class 2 and her class 3 would be perfectly fine as long as we are not using throttle only to ride....no pedaling whatsoever. Also, on our bikes, the throttle cable has a plug to it and can be disabled if needed and even removed physically from the bike in about 1 minute or less.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion about "effectively" only class 1 bikes can be used. Not using the throttle doesn't stop an ebike from still offering "assist" or power, but only when you are pedaling also. My bike and my wife's bike have 0 - 5 levels....0 being no assist, and 5 being the most assist offered.....but only while you are pedaling. It has nothing to do with the throttle, that is a separate control operated by your thumb on our bikes. So my class 2 and her class 3 would be perfectly fine as long as we are not using throttle only to ride....no pedaling whatsoever. Also, on our bikes, the throttle cable has a plug to it and can be disabled if needed and even removed physically from the bike in about 1 minute or less.
    I see. So just don't just use the throttle. That works for me. I guess I figured that it you disconnect the throttle it effectively makes it a class 1.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL....that's pretty funny right there...50MPH First of all, the throttle only cuts out at 20 mph. Pedal assist cuts out at 28 mph, so you better be either all leg muscles the size of tree trunks, or on a downhill section and not using the brakes.....and if that' the case, you surely don't need pedal assist or the throttle.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I see. So just don't just use the throttle. That works for me.
    Yes sir, that correct. I know that not every one rides like we do, but my idea of bike riding is to get some exercise and have some fun doing it. I keep my pedal assist on the lowest setting I can and still be able to ride like I want to ride....many times I'm at 10 to 12 mph....or slower if there is lot of walkers/runners/other bikes. I do use the throttle sometimes if I'm taking off from a dead stop and that is only because of all the weight. I'm just under 200 lbs, the bike weighs 74 lbs, and I tow a two wheel dog cart with out furry friend in it....So to take off from a dead stop, it is just easier to push the throttle down to get moving, then let off and back to pedaling. It's really quite flexible as far as options
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just joking about 50mph but my wife's Costco Jetson Bolt Pro now get to 24mph and my AWD Jetson Bolt Pro gets to 27. It's amazing what software, batteries, and controllers will do to a regular ebike. Tim the tool man would be proud.

There is no throttle police. Rules are made to be easy to write. It's so much easier to just say Class 1 vs several pages of do's and don'ts.

None of this really matters. Be courteous, keep the speeds down, use a paper cup, and just enjoy camping. I've never met a Ranger that discouraged having a good time.

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just joking about 50mph but my wife's Costco Jetson Bolt Pro now get to 24mph and my AWD Jetson Bolt Pro gets to 27. It's amazing what software, batteries, and controllers will do to a regular ebike. Tim the tool man would be proud.

There is no throttle police. Rules are made to be easy to write. It's so much easier to just say Class 1 vs several pages of do's and don'ts.

None of this really matters. Be courteous, keep the speeds down, use a paper cup, and just enjoy camping. I've never met a Ranger that discouraged having a good time.
    I'm with ya on that.....we would be the folks that everyone else is passing. We ride courteously and always let others know that we are coming around them....walkers and such, although some of them are totally oblivious of their surroundings because they are blasting some tunes on their earphone or headsets. It makes me want to buy an electric horn instead of just using a ring-a-ding bell to alert them. Hmm, maybe I could make a portable air horn for the bike, the ones on my truck seem to be pretty effective!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast