User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to pack the bearings

Hello all. I've never packed the bearings before and I'd like to do it myself. Any good instructional videos on this? I have a 2021 reflection 260rd 5th wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Hello all. I've never packed the bearings before and I'd like to do it myself. Any good instructional videos on this? I have a 2021 reflection 260rd 5th wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYDYO...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There is a video on the Amazon page for this bearing packer. Easy, peasy!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Packing bearings is the easy part, but do pay particular attention to setting the tightness of the axle nut. The bearings do not require preload, just the opposite, there needs to be a little clearance for the bearing to operate in the manner it is supposed to. This is very critical, too tight and the bearings will overheat, too loose and the bearings have too much clearance. Not hard, just follow the directions and you should be good.

Installing new seals is probably a good idea too. And check the sear and bearing seating areas very closely for nicks and gouges. My last trailer had several gouges in the seal running area. IMO many of the issues with grease in the brakes is improper installation. Good luck, and just take your time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    First, buy a bearing packer and seal puller. They will make things much easier. Only use high quality seals...I just use Dexter OEM seals. Use a high quality grease. Lots of love for Lucas red and tacky on this site. I have always used Timken grease with great results. Keep everything clean and use lint free shop rags. I use a torque wrench on a 1 1/2 inch socket to load the bearings...but I'm funny like that.

Second, there are loads of you tube videos...skip em all except for the Dexter axle bearing maintenance video.

Dexter axle has written instructions and a very good video on the process.

Axles with ez lube require the use of red atv on the rear seal to avoid grease contaminating the brakes. It's all in the video and instructions. It's the perfect time to inspect your brakes. I've never had to replace mine, but if you do it is much easier to replace the whole backing plate assembly...just 4 screws.

It's not difficult. Some people soak their bearings in degreaser. I don't...I just wipe them clean and do a good inspection. If all is well, then I push the old grease out with the bearing packer. Not something you can do packing by hand. After years of experimenting, I found that repacking every 2 years or 20000 miles works for

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For years and years I packed bearings by hand.....the grease in the palm of your hand method. This last time, when I repacked the bearing on my triple axle Toy Hauler (12 bearings total) I decided to buy a bearing packer and OMG....I wish I had done it years ago. Just goes to prove you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! And yes, always use quality bearing seals and always replace the seals whenever you pull the hub off for repacking or even just brake maint. It's cheap insurance and keeps you off of the side of the road with brakes and or bearing issues.
    Last edited by xrated; 07-22-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to pack the bearings

3min video from etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...-rg06-050.aspx

Text write up. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx

18 min video showing how to in more detail including remove/install races https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYyiozgR4w

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ermmm, how often should I be repacking these bearings? Thanks for the info thus far gents!
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    For years and years I packed bearings by hand.....the grease in the palm of your hand method. This last time, when I repacked the bearing on my triple axle Toy Hauler (12 bearings total) I decided to buy a bearing packer and OMG....I wish I had done it years ago. Just goes to prove you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! And yes, always use quality bearing seals and always replace the seals whenever you pull the hub off for repacking or even just brake maint. It's cheap insurance and keeps you off of the side of the road with brakes and or bearing issues.
    Ermmm, how often should I be repacking these bearings? Thanks for the info thus far gents!
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least once a year, one main reason is to check everything behind brake drum you can't see, brake shoes, magnetic wear, grease leaks on brakes, electrical wiring, etc. Made mistake this year off doing this when it was cold outside; grease doesn't move very good when it's cold. Better to repack wheel bearings when it's warm outside if you have that option. Always replace seals. Tighten castle nut slightly with pliers and turn drum about half dozens times to seat everything properly and then back off castle nut until loose and barely figure tighten - better to be too loose than too tight.
    Bearing packer makes it much easier.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...7898776&sr=8-6
    Good grease to use.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oi...0301/202521548
    Seals:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Buckskin; 08-02-2021 at 04:15 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the mileage to a certain degree. Many miles, do it more often. IMO the main thing is to make sure the bearings are good from the beginning. I did
    mine after 6 years and they were fine. I'll probably do the new-to-us trailer after 2 or 3 years if we put a lot of miles on it. Just think about how often you
    repack the bearings on your car.

FWIW, seems to me a lot of issues arise with bearings right after they've been worked on, either by an owner, or a shop.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S