User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank outlet not draining completely

I bought a new 295RL this spring and taken it out around 6 times so far. Either at a full hookup site or at home, where I have a connection to our septic system, I get a complete drain of the gray tanks and a good flush and drain of the black. I let the tanks run till nothing drips from the outlet and sometimes at home I just leave the cap off for a whole week. All three tank levers are closed before I hookup to either go home or move the trailer. After very little movement, I notice the outlet is half full of liquid because I have a clear extension at the outlet. I'm guessing there is a low spot somewhere in the outlet line. I'm thinking that if there was a problem with the valves, there would be constant dripping. Anyone ever experience this? Note: I have owned 5 other units, this being my second Grand Design. The previous unit was a 260RD and none of them had this behavior.
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2018 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Bed Duramax
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When home and dumping, are you level? Even a slight tip away from the discharge could cause a substantial amount of water/material to sit back in the pipes or tanks. You might even try raising the curb side with the levelers just a bit above level to help things flow out.

It's a questionable design. There is almost always a surprise amount of stuff sitting in the pipes when you remove the cap. Best to be using one of these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	35597

to avoid a mess.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your suggestion to "tilt" the trailer and I need one of those waste valves. As I mentioned, I have not had a need for a valve because I have not had this problem on my other trailers. I always level the trailer (either at the full hookup site or at home) to get the best drain of the tanks. Maybe auto-level is not giving me the best angle to drain the outlet in combination with the drain line has very little slope.
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    I like your suggestion to "tilt" the trailer and I need one of those waste valves. As I mentioned, I have not had a need for a valve because I have not had this problem on my other trailers. I always level the trailer (either at the full hookup site or at home) to get the best drain of the tanks. Maybe auto-level is not giving me the best angle to drain the outlet in combination with the drain line has very little slope.
    Be sure to check the "level" according to the "auto-level". When our 295 was new we found that the nose was below level after the trailer finished its little leveling jig. It's an easy thing to recalibrate the system after you manually level and check with a good old fashion bubble level. It's been fine since.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the unit back to the dealer for warranty fixes. One of the problems is this draining issue. They determined the gray water valve from the bathroom is leaking. I don't think that explains fluid in the outlet after I move the trailer because I can let the trailer sit for a week with all valves open and still had fluid come out. They are waiting for warranty work authorization from Grand Design to drop the underside cover and fix the valve. The dealer had the trailer for 10 days and still no progress on getting the work authorized. I have the trailer at home now until warranty work is authorized, with plans to try what you suggested. I've checked the trailer level after auto level and it appears to be ok. I would rather go to the dentist every day for a week than take my trailer to this dealer.
    B&W Companion Hitch