User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basement smell coming into MB room

This is our first rig. We bought a 2016 377MB. There is an odor coming into the mid bunk room through the vent to the basement. We are trying to locate the source. We suspect we need to replace insulation. Until we can do so, can we tape off the vent? I’m also wondering if we can install a vent from basement to outside that has a fan to push the stale air out instead of venting to the mid bunk.

Advice? We cannot find any leaks. Been full timing 6 weeks now. Pretty sure the fix is going to be getting underneath and pulling out the undercarriage to get a proper look.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernovamama View Post
    This is our first rig. We bought a 2016 377MB. There is an odor coming into the mid bunk room through the vent to the basement. We are trying to locate the source. We suspect we need to replace insulation. Until we can do so, can we tape off the vent? I’m also wondering if we can install a vent from basement to outside that has a fan to push the stale air out instead of venting to the mid bunk.

Advice? We cannot find any leaks. Been full timing 6 weeks now. Pretty sure the fix is going to be getting underneath and pulling out the undercarriage to get a proper look.
    I am having a similar issue trying to track down the source of a intermittent odor. In my case I believe it is a layer of water between the layers of coroplast and reflectix. The topside of the reflectix is completely dry. The odor increases as we camp, so I think I have a clandestine leak somewhere. I plan to tear into it more thoroughly next week I wish you success. Frank. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a good chance a vent to the basement is actually a furnace air return vent. If that’s the case, you can block it off during AC season.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    I am having a similar issue trying to track down the source of a intermittent odor. In my case I believe it is a layer of water between the layers of coroplast and reflectix. The topside of the reflectix is completely dry. The odor increases as we camp, so I think I have a clandestine leak somewhere. I plan to tear into it more thoroughly next week I wish you success. Frank. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Hey Frank, Since you can't find any leaks anywhere else, Do you maybe have a clothes washer installed in the front closet in the MB? Just a thought, get into the front closet near the floor and take the panel off and check the washer drain line and that special valve they have on the drain line, i forget what it's called. Maybe its leaking water and running down into the underbelly. Here is what you are looking for. If not at the valve, maybe a leak is lower down on the clothes washer drain line as it goes down into the underbelly. You'll probably have to remove the coroplast just a little in the front to find the washer drain line and follow it to the grey 1 tank.. Just a thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2578.jpg   IMG_2580.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You probably have an air admittance valve that has failed. It is located under the bath room sink next to the bunks, and just screws off. Look for a tall black pipe with a large round fitting at the top.

Home Depot carries replacements https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...s/N-5yc1vZca2v

Please let us know what you find.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not familiar with the 377 but I see no reason why you can't block the vent for the time being until you can find and correct the source of the odor.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Hey Frank, Since you can't find any leaks anywhere else, Do you maybe have a clothes washer installed in the front closet in the MB? Just a thought, get into the front closet near the floor and take the panel off and check the washer drain line and that special valve they have on the drain line, i forget what it's called. Maybe its leaking water and running down into the underbelly. Here is what you are looking for. If not at the valve, maybe a leak is lower down on the clothes washer drain line as it goes down into the underbelly. You'll probably have to remove the coroplast just a little in the front to find the washer drain line and follow it to the grey 1 tank.. Just a thought.
    Thanks Steve, a good thought, I will check out those valves. We do not have a washer in the rig but the odor is more prominent in the front storage bay.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression