User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle upgrade and disc brakes complete.

Here was an interesting project. I ordered the complete kit for an upgraded axle, suspension and disk brakes from performance trailer braking co. The upgrade for my 2019 303 RLS 5th wheel went fairly smooth, although I took my time and spent a week getting it done. Stock axles on the 303 are 5200 each. So easy to overload your rig with all the add on and general stuff that is thrown on board. We were pretty close to max weight that is 11, 990 lb. I have an additional 1,600 lb margin now with the upgrade. Dexter 6k axles, 3k leaf springs, MoRyde HD wet bolt shackles, cross members to strengthen the hangers, CRE 3000 equalizer, SS disc hubs, 6 x 5.5 , Kodiak disc brakes and dexter electric, hydraulic brake actuator. I spent more time installing the brake lines and actuator the doing the axles and components because that is really straight forward installing. Planing and figuring my actuator and placement of brake lines took more time. Not really a bad job. Just need to jack the trailer up and support it well on the frame. The cheap flare tool I had to use to make two ends to finish my brake lines was the worst part. Made a short 4 mile test run. Disc brakes are really nice!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210721_124804.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	35610Click image for larger version. 

ID:	35610
    Last edited by deerislandbrew; 07-21-2021 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Pictures
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you stiffened the hangers with cross members. Did you make those yourself? Are they welded to the inside of the hangers with cross members the full width from one side to the other?

I just had some frame cracking that I think would have been prevented if I had the hangers cross braced.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow look at those shiny beauties. Looks real nice and I'm sure that extra capacity will come in handy and ease your mind. Nice job

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job, wish I had the Skills & tools, plus PATIENTS to do that. I'm having brakes and HD shackles installed at the G.D. rally in September, can't wait
    Jim & Susan
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2021 Chevy 3500HD SRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    Here was an interesting project. I ordered the complete kit for an upgraded axle, suspension and disk brakes from performance trailer braking co. The upgrade for my 2019 303 RLS 5th wheel went fairly smooth, although I took my time and spent a week getting it done. Stock axles on the 303 are 5200 each. So easy to overload your rig with all the add on and general stuff that is thrown on board. We were pretty close to max weight that is 11, 990 lb. I have an additional 1,600 lb margin now with the upgrade. Dexter 6k axles, 3k leaf springs, MoRyde HD wet bolt shackles, cross members to strengthen the hangers, CRE 3000 equalizer, SS disc hubs, 6 x 5.5 , Kodiak disc brakes and dexter electric, hydraulic brake actuator. I spent more time installing the brake lines and actuator the doing the axles and components because that is really straight forward installing. Planing and figuring my actuator and placement of brake lines took more time. Not really a bad job. Just need to jack the trailer up and support it well on the frame. The cheap flare tool I had to use to make two ends to finish my brake lines was the worst part. Made a short 4 mile test run. Disc brakes are really nice!Click image for larger version. 

I'd like to upgrade our axles, but I think I've been convinced to do Sumo Springs on both the truck and camper.

As for disc brakes, I pulled my 2021 320MKS from Northgate RV in Ringgold, GA, 1400 miles to Albuquerque, NM on drum brakes. I set up an appointment with McBride Spring and Suspension here in Albuquerque and they did the Kodiak hydrolic over electric disc brake conversion.

On every trailer I have ever owned, that weighed over 10K lbs, I put disc brakes on them. Best investment on the trailer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! X-factors work very well! I could have made my own, but for what I paid for the three I installed it was well worth my time savings! I just made one for a fellow camper to work with the worst drain routing I've ever seen on a 5er, and 8 easily had 12 hours into it and he's doing the primer and paint!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the price for the x factor cross members were really reasonable. I spent 4k for everything I bought. A fair price, I think.
    Alan and Paula
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Glad to hear you stiffened the hangers with cross members. Did you make those yourself? Are they welded to the inside of the hangers with cross members the full width from one side to the other?

I just had some frame cracking that I think would have been prevented if I had the hangers cross braced.
    Mine are MoRyde x factor cross members . They are bolted on using the hanger wet bolt for the springs and equalizer, plus they have another bracket and bolts to attach up against the hangers. Seems like good support.
    Alan and Paula

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are MoRyde x factor cross members . They are bolted on using the hanger wet bolt for the springs and equalizer, plus they have another bracket and bolts to attach up against the hangers. Seems like good support.
    Thanks. I knew about the x factor between the equalizer. I didn't realize they also had them for the spring hangers. hmmmm - another project for me maybe.......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work on your installation. I realize your brakes are not fully seated in yet, but could you describe what level of additional braking performance you noticed?

Thank you, Saldog
    Last edited by Saldog; 07-31-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Type error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast