User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory solar panel washout?

Just returned from our first extended stay boondocking ( 9 days) in my new 30G .To say I'm a bit disappointed is an understatement. I have 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries in tandem and the 300 watt factory option solar panel with the compressor only fridge on my rig and the solar could not keep the batteries up after 2 days. This is without using any inverter or other big draw items. The campsite we were in was pretty enclosed with trees as such no direct sunlight but the best charge I could get out of the panels was .6 Amps ,10 watts. according to my app intel. To add insult my old trailer (which my son bought) was parked beside me with his propane fridge and 4 people living out of it and still had 70% battery left at the end. I was sold on the solar system and compressor only fridge by the sales people as I had ordered the trailer and they said this was the way to go? Maybe if you are in Arizona but up here in the NW I'm afraid it was an error in judgement. Thank heaven I had the genset but even then could only charge 2 hrs. at a time (park rules) so could never get the batteries back up to full. Will have to adjust the camping protocols to run the genset right from the start to insure we have battery power to keep the fridge running but am truly peeved that I made this choice. RD3
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory solar panel washout?

So it worked like it should

I would love to have the 12 v fridge as I never boondock and never will

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right to me also. Solar is pretty useless without good sunlight

Its also where lithium batteries would help since they can be charged at a much higher rate. (less time on the geney)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the factory solar and a residential fridge. I installed two 200ah lithium batteries. About 2 weeks ago, we boondocked at a music festival in Virginia for 5 days. We were parked in a field with a tree line directly behind us (to the East) and the solar panel was facing N/NE. We had bright sunshine most every day, but the panel was not in the sun until 10:30a. We did reach a charging rate of 300W a few times (can't recall the current rate), but those periods were short lived due to a few passing clouds and the direction of the panel. Still had to run the generator most days for ~2 hours to bring the batteries back up to full charge. The lowest remaining charge capacity on the batteries was 40%. We have a 200W solar suitcase that we will probably use as a supplement and to chase the sun since most of the camping we do is on the east coast and usually in shaded areas. If we do more trips out West, we may add some additional roof panels and change out the charge controller. Probably even go with the Multiplus II.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    We have the factory solar and a residential fridge. I installed two 200ah lithium batteries. About 2 weeks ago, we boondocked at a music festival in Virginia for 5 days. We were parked in a field with a tree line directly behind us (to the East) and the solar panel was facing N/NE. We had bright sunshine most every day, but the panel was not in the sun until 10:30a. We did reach a charging rate of 300W a few times (can't recall the current rate), but those periods were short lived due to a few passing clouds and the direction of the panel. Still had to run the generator most days for ~2 hours to bring the batteries back up to full charge. The lowest remaining charge capacity on the batteries was 40%. We have a 200W solar suitcase that we will probably use as a supplement and to chase the sun since most of the camping we do is on the east coast and usually in shaded areas. If we do more trips out West, we may add some additional roof panels and change out the charge controller. Probably even go with the Multiplus II.
    Do you have the factory 300 watt Jaboni system?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's correct, and a great genset thank heaven
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Do you have the factory 300 watt Jaboni system?
    Yes, Factory Jaboni 300W. Changed charge controller to lithium (converter, too). 2000W inverter. Also have factory installed 5500w Onan genny. Solar suitcase is a Renogy 200w with it's own MPPT controller. Upgraded battery interconnects to 1 AWG cable and installed positive and negative buss bars.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see about 48 hours of furrion 12v fridge use when I'm parked under trees. ( 2 GC2s in series)

When the trailer is at our storage place, in full hard sun, the panel can keep up and stay ahead of the fridge if the weather is cooler than 85F.

The minute I don't see a full day of sunshine, I lose ground...

I'm gonna be spending money on batteries this winter, I expect.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed huntingdogs post on Jaboni 300w or would not have started this thread as it pretty much described my thoughts and answered my questions .Boondocking will involve more generator use I am wondering about adding another 100w panel and using it to "chase the sun" as it will be direct wired to the batteries but I suspect that will compromise the controller so buy more fuel for the genset.So much for being "greener"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Yes, Factory Jaboni 300W. Changed charge controller to lithium (converter, too). 2000W inverter. Also have factory installed 5500w Onan genny. Solar suitcase is a Renogy 200w with it's own MPPT controller. Upgraded battery interconnects to 1 AWG cable and installed positive and negative buss bars.
    OK, I have been down the upgrade road already. IMO, leaving the factory Jaboni system in place and fuctioning is the best path forward. Build another system of your choice (I like Victron) and run them both at once. Matching the existing Jaboni panel specs with another brand is pretty much a no go. You will lose output trying to do that. Read some of my previous posts on my journey to my present opinion.
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-23-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison