User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More water issues

So I have reasoned that (thanks to this forum) I have been losing water through the vent tubes due to sloshing while driving I guess .Lost 2/3 of a tank in 2 hours and I believe I have 2x50 tanks. Couple questions will put check valves on the tank vents but I guess why should I have too ? Second while filling the sensor unit says full but it is only on the front tank I believe .How do you know the second tank is full ? Is there a crossover to equalize but again how big is that Or are there 2 fill lines ? When emptying pulled one drain on fwd. tank all water out panel said empty, pulled second drain on back tank hmm lots there. Guess I am perplexed ,have asked GD for a schematic will wait to see what comes. RD3
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually siphoning and not just the sloshing around (the overflow tubes go up inside the tanks, come out the top, and then back down to where you see them). GD has supposedly implemented a solution to this, but I think it has been very recently. Some folks put petcocks on the overflow tubes and turn them off before travel (you have to remember to open them when setting up, though). I have dealt with the problem on both of our rigs this way: when the tank is filled and water starts coming out the overflow tube, I quickly turn off the water, switch the Nautilus system to "Dry Camping," and turn on the water pump. I then run water through the outside shower hose until the overflow tube tops flowing. This indicates that there is no longer water in the overflow tube and it will not siphon. We've never lost water in transit this way. I don't know how or if this will work on your two-tank system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,a starting point for sure and the siphoning effect does make sense ,so you do fill until water starts to come out the vent
    pipes, I did that on every other RV I had but was told not to?? on this one,but it has vents so it is not like I'm pressuring up a tank.
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddog303 View Post
    Thanks Rob,a starting point for sure and the siphoning effect does make sense ,so you do fill until water starts to come out the vent
    pipes, I did that on every other RV I had but was told not to?? on this one,but it has vents so it is not like I'm pressuring up a tank.
    I do - but I stand there watching the tube and shut off the water the second it starts trickling out. I then relieve the pressure and clear the tube using the process I described.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just heard back from my dealer who recommended NOT filling the tank full.HUH ,so why have a tank you can't fill ,but it gets better ,when I told them I had 2 tanks they said oh might have to put a check valve in ,,,

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing 2/3 of a tank of water to siphoning can’t be right. Losing water, Yes, but not that much, especially in 2 hours.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it is a mountain highway so I guess I can cut them some slack dealer got back to me and told me some things to try ,but was surprised that i had 2 tanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Losing 2/3 of a tank of water to siphoning can’t be right. Losing water, Yes, but not that much, especially in 2 hours.
    Its possible - happened to me but I did a fix.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddog303 View Post
    Well it is a mountain highway so I guess I can cut them some slack dealer got back to me and told me some things to try ,but was surprised that i had 2 tanks
    If you search water loss while traveling there are several simple fixes.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be going to the check valve on the 2 vents to stop the loss.I am curious though with the 2 tanks are there 2 fill lines or a crossover pipe that equalizes them both? Conversely when drawing with the pump do I draw from both tanks (y connection? or again crossover??Would be nice to see a schematic.I do know the front tank has the idiot light wiring as I drained it first and the lights said empty but there was still substantial water when I pulled the second back tank drain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast