User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LiFePo4 batteries and the Factory 300W package

Question to those smarter than I (or at least have more experience with Solar and LiFePo4). We ordered the factory 300W panel setup to simply keep the residential fridge running while travelling. Our unit is a 2022 and is currently in FBP. I was thinking about using two Battle Born 100ah batteries with this setup and do understand the charger may need to be changed (depending on what is shipped in the unit).

My question is this - I know the 300W system won't fully cover the 200ah batteries on a full recharge, but I was looking at the 270ah "gamechanger" as something that could better position the unit for adding a second 300W panel down the road and upgrading other equipment, etc. Also like the form factor, less cables and is $500 off today. :-) Given we don't boondock (today), we likely won't be digging very far into the battery capacity. But if we did fully utilize the capacity and couldn't get shore power to assist the charge - are the LiFePo4 batteries harmed not receiving a full charge? Any disadvantages to go this route (other than redundancy)?
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 07-22-2021 at 06:32 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Question to those smarter than I (or at least have more experience with Solar and LiFePo4). We ordered the factory 300W panel setup to simply keep the residential fridge running while travelling. Our unit is a 2022 and is currently in FBP. I was thinking about using two Battle Born 100ah batteries with this setup and do understand the charger may need to be changed (depending on what is shipped in the unit).

My question is this - I know the 300W system won't fully cover the 200ah batteries on a full recharge, but I was looking at the 270ah "gamechanger" as something that could better position the unit for adding a second 300W panel down the road and upgrading other equipment, etc. Also like the form factor, less cables and is $500 off today. :-) Given we don't boondock (today), we likely won't be digging very far into the battery capacity. But if we did fully utilize the capacity and couldn't get shore power to assist the charge - are the LiFePo4 batteries harmed not receiving a full charge? Any disadvantages to go this route (other than redundancy)?
    Since you do not plan to do much boondocking, and you will have 200ah to 20ah Battle Born battery(ies) you should not have much of an issue with not getting your batteries fully charge. You forgot that your batteries would receive a full charge every night while you are plugged into Shore Power. This will give you a full charge to start the day with and I bet that on a Sunny day with your 300 Watt Solar panel charging up the battery, you will arrive with a nearly full battery (at least 75% State of Charge [SOC]).

Yes, you definitely want to replace your Converter if it is not Lithium compatible.

By-the-way, LiFePo4 batteries are not harmed by not receiving a full charge.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what Solarpower said, My installer said Life batteries don't like to be fully charged everyday.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. After reviewing pictures of other folks battery installs in their Mo's which also gave insight into where GD mounts all of the equipment for the factory solar package in the belly bay... I decided to stick with the original plan of starting off with (2) BBB 100ah batteries (currently on sale for $150off ea). In looking at the pics, I realized there is also less room in that front bat than I thought given the generator. I figured standing up the BBB 270ah "Gamechanger" would make it difficult to access a couple of items on the back wall, and laying it flat takes up more footprint than (3) of the normal BBB 100ah batteries. I can look at adding additional ah's down the road if/when I feel I need or if I expand the solar system. For now, I am confident the (2) 100ah batteries powering the 2000 inverter with 300W factory solar will keep my residential fridge cold to our destination.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the factory 300 watt setup with a residential fridge, 2,000 watt converter/charger, and two 100AH BB LiFePO4 batteries. It works perfectly for our purposes (which are the same as what you describe). The WFCO converter/chargers installed by GD do not have a setting for lithium batteries (the solar controllers do), so you will want to replace the converter/charger with one from Battle Born's compatibility list.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have the factory 300 watt setup with a residential fridge, 2,000 watt converter/charger, and two 100AH BB LiFePO4 batteries. It works perfectly for our purposes (which are the same as what you describe). The WFCO converter/chargers installed by GD do not have a setting for lithium batteries (the solar controllers do), so you will want to replace the converter/charger with one from Battle Born's compatibility list.

Rob
    Rob,

Do you stay anywhere overnight without shore power with your setup?
    Just wondering if 2 BB's would keep the frig running thru the night.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Rob,

Do you stay anywhere overnight without shore power with your setup?
    Just wondering if 2 BB's would keep the frig running thru the night.
    We do not, so I can't answer your specific question. The two BBs have kept the fridge running on long, overcast/rainy travel days, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    The OEM converters, at least on the 2022s with factory solar and 2000w inverter package have a lithium "setting". To set to lithium, you just have to make a jump wire and connect to the two WAGO-type connectors on the converter. If you have AGM or SLA batteries, just leave as is. I can probably get a photo of the setup later today.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 07-23-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post

My question is this - I know the 300W system won't fully cover the 200ah batteries on a full recharge, but I was looking at the 270ah "gamechanger" as something that could better position the unit for adding a second 300W panel down the road and upgrading other equipment, etc.
    See @huntindog post about trying to add additional panels to the factory 300w system: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...765#post371765
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    The OEM converter, at least on the 2022s with factory solar and 2000w inverter package have a lithium "setting". To set to lithium, you just have to make a jump wire and connect to the two WAGO-type connectors on the converter. If you have AGM or SLA batteries, just leave as is. I can probably get a photo of the setup later today.
    Good to know they've changed this - thanks.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast