User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Sailun tire failure?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

2 10.00%
  • NO

18 90.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfan View Post
    Bought a set in May for a long trip, put roughly 3000 miles on and two lost the middle of their treads within maybe 600 miles of each other. Had to use a 3 year old Westlake spare which surprisingly held up when one of the Sailun's gave out to get me home.
    This is right in alignment with what the folks on the Montana forum reported. Failures are from the May 2021 time frame and with tires manufactured in Viet Nam.

Can you give us your date code and where they were manufactured?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Date code on mine were 2016. No problems in 4 years and 25,000 miles. Sold the trailer.

Is there a code on the new Sailuns that means they were made in Vietnam? Are ANY current Sailuns NOT made in Vietnam? After my success with the Sailuns I was shocked to see two reports in the last few months of Sailun failures.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    YES

or

NO

If yes please provide details.

If no just please state the age of your tires.

Over on the Montana forum folks are reporting tread separation failures. I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Thanks.
    I have 4,318 miles on my new Sailuns, one just lost tread on my way through the redwoods...I just purchased these 14-ply beauties 4k miles ago, I sure don't want to replace the whole set...I have a new one on order from Amazon and I'll replace this one. Candidly, if it happens again, I'll have to replace all 4.

I can provide you date code, time/date and place of purchase...are you thinking Class Action Lawsuit or ...what?

BTW, ironically, I made sure tire pressure inflation was absolutely perfect, normally I do +/- 3 pounds, but before this trip they were all at 110 perfectly.
    Last edited by MommasBoy; 08-24-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailun failure

Here's some of the evidenceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210821_160212693.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	36296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	36297

...it has still lost only 5 psi pressure and we were able to get to the park.

Purchase date: 03/09/2021
    Purchase location: Snider Fleet Solutions, Raleigh, NC 27610
    Type: ST235/80R16 Sailun S637
    Date of Failure: 8/21/2021
    Speed of travel: ~65 per hour
    Distance of travel: from Eugene, Oregon to Crescent City, CA (of course all the way from NC, KY, NE, CO, WY, MT, WA, OR to CA) - 4318 miles.

I'm personally worried now that I need to replace all 4.
    Last edited by MommasBoy; 08-24-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MommasBoy View Post
    I have 4,318 miles on my new Sailuns, one just lost tread on my way through the redwoods...I just purchased these 14-ply beauties 4k miles ago, I sure don't want to replace the whole set...I have a new one on order from Amazon and I'll replace this one. Candidly, if it happens again, I'll have to replace all 4.

I can provide you date code, time/date and place of purchase...are you thinking Class Action Lawsuit or ...what?

BTW, ironically, I made sure tire pressure inflation was absolutely perfect, normally I do +/- 3 pounds, but before this trip they were all at 110 perfectly.
    @MommasBoy
    I'm not interested in lawsuits or anything like that; that's too much like work for very little reward. A friend saw on the Montana forum that some folks there had lost treads on their Sailuns. Sailuns had (have?) such a good reputation and we both have them so we began to wonder what is going on.

I have about 14,000 miles on mine and they are 3 years old. I plan to replace them next year so am wondering if I will do Sailuns again or not. I got mine in 2018 and they were stamped China.

The failures reported on the Montana forum are from tires manufactured in Vietnam around May 2021. Apparently Sailun moved their manufacturing facilities from China to Vietnam (to avoid high tariffs from China??).

So I started this survey just to see what us Grand Design owners are experiencing.

Thanks for all the stats about the failure. Can you provide the date code from the tires and where they were manufactured (both are on the sidewall).
    Larry KE4DMG

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    No. Date code on mine were 2016. No problems in 4 years and 25,000 miles. Sold the trailer.

Is there a code on the new Sailuns that means they were made in Vietnam? Are ANY current Sailuns NOT made in Vietnam? After my success with the Sailuns I was shocked to see two reports in the last few months of Sailun failures.

Actually there is a code indicating where manufactured but the country name is also stamped on the side. I'll put up a link to that Montana RV forum. They have photos there....

Mine are 1018's and so far, so good...

Thanks for the info!
    Larry KE4DMG

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the conversation going on over at the Montan Owner's Forum....

https://montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84846

I think I'm OK doing this. If not one of the other moderators or Janet will rap me on the knuckles for doing this (kind of like the nuns use to do... )

I like my Sailuns. I want to get another set. But it won't be until mid next year before any long travel so I am just trying to keep an eye on things.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sailins are 2020 build; clearly stamped "Made in Vietnam" on the sidewall.

This thread has me nervous; just in my first season with them; now with about 3K miles on them.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are stamped 4618 (date) & made in China. Bought from Simple Tire & installed in Feb. '19.
    No problems, took very little weight when balanced.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I impaled a front tire on my 3/4 ton tow vehicle, and it was a $255 Michelin. I got cheap and ordered two replacement Sailun tires through Walmart.com for $155 each. They're performing very well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast