User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pex is good stuff but has some limitations and quirks. It will handle slight deflections (unlike copper) but it has a memory and will put tension on both ends, so you'll need to use elbows anywhere you'd use one with copper. The tool needed to crimp fittings doesn't fit too well in tight spaces, so you'll learn to partly assemble your piping before installing it. And definitely use the red PEX for hot water.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    I am going to have to learn how to use PEX and replace that one hose.
    I started using PEX for the first time this year. It's SUPER easy to work with! I replaced as much of the braided lines behind the Nautilus panel as I could easily get access to.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the flex hose that GD uses, more, or less freeze resistant than pex?
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Is the flex hose that GD uses, more, or less freeze resistant than pex?
    Its about the same - it the fittings that are the issue - they all crack when frozen. Nylon is a bit better.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While adding a bypass for our water filter in front of the Nautilus in our Solitude I noticed that the very same hose looked like it could very easily get chafed. My solution was to cut a small piece of the same type (PEX) hose and split it to cover the existing hose.

For the record, Lowes sells 1/2 inch PEX, both red and blue, in 5 or 6 foot lengths for cheap. They also sell the PEX "cincher" tool there but it is ridiculously overpriced. I got mine off Amazon for just over $20 including five cinch rings of three different sizes.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally pulled the basement wall and looked at the rear of the panel. As you can see in the attached photo, all it needed was another 1/2" of hose length to prevent binding. At this point it's not worth getting on the soap box about factory assembly. I need to fix this and prevent a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PEX2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	35847

I want to replace this entire assembly, from the rear of the panel to the filter inlet (in front). It looks like some kind of retaining clip that holds the plastic piece (Black) into the back of the panel. I suspect that I will need to leave this piece in place and adapt the PEX to that point. i.e. replace the white elbows (2) and blue hose.
    Before I remove this, does anyone know what the thread or connector (black part) is? Otherwise I will disassemble it and take the white elbow/connector to the store and search the bins for a way to adapt it.

I now have my Google Doctorate in PEX, so I need to get the basic tools and some PEX. I know this is simple stuff, but I am weak in this kind of plumbing. As someone else pointed out, I may have created a monster in seeing how easy it is to fix this stuff behind the panel. So far I have had no issues with the plumbing.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After rearranging my storage area I relocated the filter to behind that wall using pex.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I finally pulled the basement wall and looked at the rear of the panel. As you can see in the attached photo, all it needed was another 1/2" of hose length to prevent binding. At this point it's not worth getting on the soap box about factory assembly. I need to fix this and prevent a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PEX2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	35847

I want to replace this entire assembly, from the rear of the panel to the filter inlet (in front). It looks like some kind of retaining clip that holds the plastic piece (Black) into the back of the panel. I suspect that I will need to leave this piece in place and adapt the PEX to that point. i.e. replace the white elbows (2) and blue hose.
    Before I remove this, does anyone know what the thread or connector (black part) is? Otherwise I will disassemble it and take the white elbow/connector to the store and search the bins for a way to adapt it.

I now have my Google Doctorate in PEX, so I need to get the basic tools and some PEX. I know this is simple stuff, but I am weak in this kind of plumbing. As someone else pointed out, I may have created a monster in seeing how easy it is to fix this stuff behind the panel. So far I have had no issues with the plumbing.

Rob
    It should be NTP National pipe thread. So you know Home Depot carries all theses fitting in brass (look for the wall of blister packs). Just take the fittings with you and match it up. Some good hardware stores carry this stuff too. I also thinks Lowe's has a section. I carry several spares in my trailer tool kit.

The metal clip just holds the valve to the back of the panel. Remove handle, but be sure to mark position on the valve and make a note of the valve rotation (use a piece of paper and set valve on it and draw direction and distance of movement). You will need that in case you replace the valve.

While more expensive some folks have used shark bite fittings with the ridged pex. HD carry's those too. The work well, but make sure you get the removal tool (orange C-clip looking thing).

Good luck

BTW there are two types of rigid pex. One is more flexible than the other but I can remember the designation. Also be sure it for potable water and not hydranic heat.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    It should be NTP National pipe thread. So you know Home Depot carries all theses fitting in brass (look for the wall of blister packs). Just take the fittings with you and match it up. Some good hardware stores carry this stuff too. I also thinks Lowe's has a section. I carry several spares in my trailer tool kit.

The metal clip just holds the valve to the back of the panel. Remove handle, but be sure to mark position on the valve and make a note of the valve rotation (use a piece of paper and set valve on it and draw direction and distance of movement). You will need that in case you replace the valve.

While more expensive some folks have used shark bite fittings with the ridged pex. HD carry's those too. The work well, but make sure you get the removal tool (orange C-clip looking thing).

Good luck

BTW there are two types of rigid pex. One is more flexible than the other but I can remember the designation. Also be sure it for potable water and not hydranic heat.
    Thanks for the info. I'll pull it apart this weekend and make a trip for parts. I should be able to build the entire assembly before installation and slip it into place, at least that's the plan.
    Checking the local hardware stores for tools, I would rather not have to Amazon it.

I thought about Scocciante's suggestion to relocate the filter. As much as it is in the way, it works in the wet bay. I have not found a better position that I like, or rather I don't have any position that I like. It gets swapped regularly and somehow I make a mess.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'll pull it apart this weekend and make a trip for parts. I should be able to build the entire assembly before installation and slip it into place, at least that's the plan.
    Checking the local hardware stores for tools, I would rather not have to Amazon it.

I thought about Scocciante's suggestion to relocate the filter. As much as it is in the way, it works in the wet bay. I have not found a better position that I like, or rather I don't have any position that I like. It gets swapped regularly and somehow I make a mess.

Rob
    HD or any good plumbing/hardware store will have the tools. I have a pex pipe cutter, and a simple crimp pliers for the rings, they are not expensive. A trick is also to have a heat gun handy to warm up the fittings so the go on easier. You can also use the heat gun to warm and bend the pex. Comes in handy at times. Don't forget to install the crimp rings first. It not fun pulling thing apart when you forget.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast