User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo hitch carrier

I'm looking to hitch up a cargo carrier with a 110 lb generator on it for a total of about 150 lbs. to the receiver on the back. Does anyone know what a 2020 Reflection 29rs receiver is rated for? And also anyone have any experience with cargo carriers/with a generator on they're rigs Thanks

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexmahon View Post
    I'm looking to hitch up a cargo carrier with a 110 lb generator on it for a total of about 150 lbs. to the receiver on the back. Does anyone know what a 2020 Reflection 29rs receiver is rated for? And also anyone have any experience with cargo carriers/with a generator on they're rigs Thanks
    We have one from Harbor Freight on our 2021 320MKS with our Champion 3400 Duel Fuel inverter/generator (96 lbs.) on it. I wrap it up in an oil cloth tarp, strap it down with ratchet straps, and lock it to the hitch with a Master cable lock. The propane tank for it goes in the bed of the truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d like to know this too. Just bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle rack and didn’t think about checking for a rating. Is there such a thing?
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateritter View Post
    I’d like to know this too. Just bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle rack and didn’t think about checking for a rating. Is there such a thing?
    Looks like a quick search on the forum found this. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...hitch-capacity

300lb full weight.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateritter View Post
    Looks like a quick search on the forum found this. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...hitch-capacity

300lb full weight.
    After searching a little more on line I'm having a hard time finding one hitch mounted carrier that mentions anything about being used on an RV. The one I purchased...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFTGFSB...roduct_details... didn't say anything about use on an RV, but when I read the instructions that came with it, it said NOT recommended for use on an RV.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one from etrailer.com Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Reese/63153.html
    been on my rig for 3yrs.
    Eddie and Donna
    Jake and Bella (fur-kids)
    2020 Solitude 390 RK-R
    2019 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)
    2015 F350 6.7 Lariat Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eoguinn View Post
    I have this one from etrailer.com Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Reese/63153.html
    been on my rig for 3yrs.
    Sounds like it has worked great for you. However it does state on their tech support that it is not rated for use on a 5th wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those ratings on the carrier are for a hitch receiver located on the tow vehicle, typically only 2-4 feet from the axle and with limited deflection distance up/down.

On an RV, you're twice that distance and deflection. I'd reduce the weight proportionately to the distance from the axle. 8ft from the axle would safely carry less than half the "approved" rating on the carrier. 150lbs physical weight has a lot more momentum when it's on a long lever...

If you're carrying 300 lbs on a hitch haul, you're probably seriously overloading the welds or bolts on both the hitch receiver as well as the carrier. Inspect often...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 07-26-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 260RD and I beefed up the rear receiver hitch. It claims to have 300 lb capacity but it didn't look that way. I welded a channel iron across the back and it is much stronger. See the pictures. I either carry a 280 lb motorcycle on it or my 150 lb Yamaha generator on it all the time and it works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190529_162821.jpg   20190529_162758.jpg   20190605_161136.jpg   20190529_162812.jpg  

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend put a carrier on the back of his 5er and did like the side-to-side wobble. He added two receivers just welded to the frame giving him 3 receivers. I don't know if that increases the payload but stop the side-to-side wobble.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast