User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gas grill quick connect common issue fix.

Grand design manufacturing team brand new RV owner and just took my 22mle out for a maden voyage. Purchased a 7' quick connect to treaded fitting for gas grill (charbroil grill2go x200) the connection is same thread of small green 1lb tank. And grill wouldn't light. After pulling a full 20lb tank from the camper for dinner and lucky bringing that hose I discovered this is a common problem on RVs. That the quick disconnect line is a low pressure line. Can we please just make this a direct feed from the propane tanks so we don't need to convert a grill to make it work. I have a grill that doesn't seem to have a conversion for low pressure. So I either need to try to rig something or bring a additional 20lb tank. This seems to be a issue with all camper manufacturers from what I can tell just don't understand why it hasn't been fixed? Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to add a shutoff value at the tanks and high pressure line down the frame to the quick connect. To allow people to connect the grill regulator and control values to the camper tanks. It's like $200 in parts if that. Or move the regular after the quick connect port. Allowing the grills to be high pressure and everything else downstream low pressure.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michilson View Post
    Grand design manufacturing team brand new RV owner and just took my 22mle out for a maden voyage. Purchased a 7' quick connect to treaded fitting for gas grill (charbroil grill2go x200) the connection is same thread of small green 1lb tank. And grill wouldn't light. After pulling a full 20lb tank from the camper for dinner and lucky bringing that hose I discovered this is a common problem on RVs. That the quick disconnect line is a low pressure line. Can we please just make this a direct feed from the propane tanks so we don't need to convert a grill to make it work. I have a grill that doesn't seem to have a conversion for low pressure. So I either need to try to rig something or bring a additional 20lb tank. This seems to be a issue with all camper manufacturers from what I can tell just don't understand why it hasn't been fixed? Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to add a shutoff value at the tanks and high pressure line down the frame to the quick connect. To allow people to connect the grill regulator and control values to the camper tanks. It's like $200 in parts if that. Or move the regular after the quick connect port. Allowing the grills to be high pressure and everything else downstream low pressure.
    I worked on this for a long time. A lot of the grills wont let you remove their regulators so you cant plumb it into your RV low pressure system. I finally gave up on it and purchased a Blackstone Griddle and a Camp Chef Blind stove. They both will work off the regulated LP system of the RV.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michilson View Post
    First I see that it's your first post so welcome to the group and the 22mle gang. 2nd GD does not monitor this site. There are many reasons why the propane line on every rig manufacturer is low pressure. Safety is the biggest one. In the event that the line is cut, the regulator at the tank will cut the flow. Second is cost, you'd need a regulator at every appliance if it was high pressure. There ways to MacGyver your grill to work. Often, your local mom and pop lp shop can help you.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a long time the biggest complaint on the forums was the inability to convert the Coleman grills to low pressure. There is now even a kit for those. Converting grills by removing regulators is not rocket science. If it went together, it can come apart. Fittings are available everywhere, including on-line outlets that specialize in propane fittings and adapters.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised to see that our 2021 310GK did not come with any external propane connection. I called GD and was told it was left off for safety reasons. I haven’t gotten around to plumbing one in myself.

Consider yourself lucky if you got an external fitting of any type on your rig.
    2021 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

For those of us who have had various campers over the decades, we can tell you that high pressure outside ports we once common. In fact, staple of the original Coleman pop-ups and even when Fleetwood was building them. The high pressure Coleman stoves they came with were great too!

The evolution of no more high pressure ports and now even low pressure ports is the result of accidents that have happened and manufacturers deeming they do not want to be in the chain of liability. So, if the end user wants such, they can add such and the risk and liability there's alone. A local propane supplier will have all the fittings you could need and can make custom hoses as you need as well. MB Sturgis will do the same through phone order.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank guys for all the comments just didn't realize this was low pressure and wouldn't work with my grill. Maybe a Blackstone will be the replacement in the future. Been camping all my life just first personally owned RV. So far that's my only complaint about the RV. I under stand the liability side. Just seems it wouldn't be hard to have a main shutoff at the tank for the higher pressure line. And then you can use the grills stock regulator with out modifications. But I get it costs more for them. Anyways extra tank in the truck is the solution for now. Thanks Guys.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realized that a low pressure propane connection with a shut off was unsafe on some trailers and not on others.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a coleman that a bought a fitting for along with a y so I can connect my campstove and grill. I found a cabela grill i liked without looking at the details and am in the same situation where I need to remove the adjustment knob and regulator on the grill and add an adjustment and quick connect. I've found a needle valve that seems like it would work for the adjustment but want to do a bit more digging.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Pit Boss 2 burner stainless grill. It was trivial to unscrew its external regulator and screw on a threaded-to-quick-connect hose. The connection works fine and I like the grill.
    2020 Ford F150 XLT with HDPP, 3.5L TT V6, 6.5' bed, 3.73 axle, Curt A16 manual slider hitch.
    2021 GD Reflections 150 series 295RL 33' 5th
    Long ago: Carriage Lite 35' 5th, towed by Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast