User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patio deck 0n a 300TH delaminating.

Hi All,
    Maybe the factory looks in also. Why does the deck on the side patio on my 2017 399TH bubble up in many places? It appears to be delaminating.
    Anyone having this problem and what can be done about it?

ps; sorry for the wrong model number in the 'thread' description. I can't find a way to correct it!
    Last edited by MrOcco; 06-27-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it on the walkable side or the outside? If it's the walkable side, was it left out in the rain? It shouldn't be exposed to rain, a small amount of water might be ok, but not so much for rain. We always make sure to put ours up if it's going to rain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Is it on the walkable side or the outside? If it's the walkable side, was it left out in the rain? It shouldn't be exposed to rain, a small amount of water might be ok, but not so much for rain. We always make sure to put ours up if it's going to rain.

It is on the walkable side. I don't know if the previous owner may have left it open in the rain. Is there a fix you know of?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOcco View Post
    It is on the walkable side. I don't know if the previous owner may have left it open in the rain. Is there a fix you know of?
    Not sure on the fix, but I'm guessing the cause is water damage. I dont know what the composition of the patio deck is, so it's hard to say what the fix is. It might be worthwhile to call GD and ask them for suggestions, but they might just say to take it to a dealer for a replacement deck, only one way to find out.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is on the walkable side. We cut the top deck out and discovered water damage in about half of the plywood interior. Cleaned and scraped the bad wood off the top deck and the styrofoam center and completely dried it. Glued a new sheet of plywood to the top deck material and then glued the complete top deck to the styrofoam center. Weighed it down all over for 2 days. Re-sealed the edge with RTV and it is as good as new. Not to bad a job and with some help it is very doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in need of doing this to our 399th. Can you give us more instruction on how to remove the factory laminate on the side deck? What did you use to remove it?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Tom,
    You have quite a job ahead of you. I sold my 399TH a few months ago but I do remember what a job repairing the patio deck was.
    First we cut 1/4inch deep along the metal frame. I used an oscillating saw with curved blade. Don't go any deeper than needed to cut thru the thin plywood. Be careful when removing the cut piece that you don't get into the foam center. Lift the cut piece slowly. Clean off the top surface piece of wood and any debris and set it aside. Pre cut a piece of 3/16inch paneling to fit the opening of the deck, (It will take 2 pieces). Lay this paneling on a solid floor and apply contact cement to both the paneling and the top surface piece. When good and dry put them together and compress thoroughly. Make sure they are glued together real well. Trim the edges to be sure they are flat. Be careful to not take to much off. Thoroughly clean the foam on the patio of any loose particles. Air hose works well. Use a good construction glue or contact cement on the wood side of the new floor and the foam patio. When dry place on the deck carefully. A few people to do this is recommended. I found that starting on the inside edge and laying it down from there to the outside edge worked pretty good. When fit into the recess of the hole press it together really well. Walk on it in many directions. I used 4 pieces of 2x4 along the edges with clamps and clamped them on all 4 edges. Let set for about 8 hours. If it is hot there leave them clamped longer.

This turned out pretty good but the deck was still a bit flexible to walk on. It is better that having to buy a whole new patio deck if you could get the factory to sell you one. If you have any questions don't hesitate to write.
    Good luck and I hope this helps.. Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrOcco, thank you for your help.

Posting an update on side deck repair.

How we repaired our 399th side deck.
    Remove caulk around metal frame.
    Used Oscillating tool with flat blade to remove black top coating.
    We left the thin piece of wood that was still glued to the foam.
    2 sheets of 5/16 of plywood glued down with Loctite PL8X . The plywood was laid side to side. Opposite of thin pieces of wood that remained. Pressed & weighted down with boards & clamps 72 hrs to dry.
    The diamond tread 14 gauge, glued with Loctite PL 8.
    Used DAP Dynaflex Ultra (black) to seal the seam and edges of the metal frame. This was laid top to bottom. And screwed down along the edges every 4 inches to the metal frame and every 7 inches along the seam into the plywood.
    Again weighted down to dry 24 hrs.
    Longer bolts will be needed.
    We did not remove from the trailer. We are going seal edges and bolts with Predator coating.
    This is how we did it. Hope it helps.