User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery bank wiring

I’ve seen some pretty cool pictures of solar installs and the associated battery banks and have been soaking in all the info and advice. Are you guys building your own wires for the battery cables specifically? -or just buying pre-flab’s for that piece since those are generally straightforward if the batteries can simply be lined up.
    For now I am simply swapping out flooded batteries to (Battle Born) LiFePo4 100ah batteries in a new unit coming in that has a generator, factory solar & 2K inverter. If I was building the full system, I can definitely see picking up the tools, wires, connectors, etc. But for just slapping in 2 (maybe 3) BB 100ah batteries & a Victron BMW712 into the existing system I am thinking about just buying pre-fab’d 4/0 12in cables (polar wire?) for a quick solution. Thought? Reputable brands/ sources?
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I’ve seen some pretty cool pictures of solar installs and the associated battery banks and have been soaking in all the info and advice. Are you guys building your own wires for the battery cables specifically? -or just buying pre-flab’s for that piece since those are generally straightforward if the batteries can simply be lined up.
    For now I am simply swapping out flooded batteries to (Battle Born) LiFePo4 100ah batteries in a new unit coming in that has a generator, factory solar & 2K inverter. If I was building the full system, I can definitely see picking up the tools, wires, connectors, etc. But for just slapping in 2 (maybe 3) BB 100ah batteries & a Victron BMW712 into the existing system I am thinking about just buying pre-fab’d 4/0 12in cables (polar wire?) for a quick solution. Thought? Reputable brands/ sources?
    You can order custom lengths of you need that. Reach out to Northern AZ Sun and Wind.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another source is AM Solar I have had very nicely and well done cables from them. Making your own cables is easy to do, but when dealing with the heavy cables needed in a battery bank you will need a hydraulic crimper to do the job right. The last thing you need is to have a cable end slide out of the lug and turn your rig into a giant welder. Because of the expense of these units and the fact I do not do it often, I have not invested in one.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Are you guys building your own wires for the battery cables specifically?...But for just slapping in 2 (maybe 3) BB 100ah batteries & a Victron BMW712 into the existing system I am thinking about just buying pre-fab’d 4/0 12in cables (polar wire?) for a quick solution. Thought?
    I made all the cables for my new solar/battery system. If I just needed cables for two batteries and I knew for a fact I would never add a full solar system, I might have ordered them made to length. Maybe. Making cables is kind of fun so...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was having the same question for a solar/battery project that I've got planned to start soon. What it came down to for me was the price of the crimpers for the bigger wires and the time I would spend doing it. I decided to go with pre-fab wires already crimped. If I were doing a larger project (more batteries) and needing more done I would probably be able to justify the cost savings, but I'm only doing a two-battery setup so it's not that many cables that I need done.

I am still planning on doing my own cuts and crimping for smaller cables, partially because some of them will be longer runs so getting the length right will be practically impossible to get right for ordering pre-fab, and also the size and cost for a tool for crimping smaller cables is not as great as a hydraulic one for the big battery cables.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a non-hydraulic crimp tool - it is pretty large. All of my crimps have been perfect. It still operates using a very large/heavy duty lever (just not hydraulic-activated). It is a Temco lug crimper tool.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using BatteryCablesUSA for all of my cable needs. Reasonable pricing, made to order, fast shipping. Most orders I receive within 24-48 hrs.

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/battery-cables
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)