User Tag List

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fender Skirt Problem

Based on past posts I tried to reinforce the screw holes in the skirt with washers. Unfortunately the screws loosened and the movement of the skirts while traveling caused the washers to pull through the screw holes, leaving about a 3/8" hole in the skirt.

The place where the screw heads rest on a Reflection's skirt are in an indentation, so now with the enlarged hole there is no room for a larger washer in the indentation.

I can move out of the indentation and drill new holes but will have to back fill on the back side of the skirt so it will snug up flush to the sheet metal. Maybe something like epoxy putty would fill the indentations and serve as a filler/washer after drilling a hole through it.

I would appreciate any ideas on this project.

As a side note, it is unbelievable once you remove the skirts how thin and flimsy they are. Also, they are quite expensive to replace if purchased new.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem and glued some flat 1/8” black pvc over the cracked and broken areas then drilled new holes as necessary. So far it’s holding up fine after about 3,000 miles of towing.
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt&Dana View Post
    I had a similar problem and glued some flat 1/8” black pvc over the cracked and broken areas then drilled new holes as necessary. So far it’s holding up fine after about 3,000 miles of towing.
    What kind of glue? Where did you find black PVC? Looks like they may be made of ABS which requires it's own specific glue.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What kind of glue? Where did you find black PVC? Looks like they may be made of ABS which requires it's own specific glue.
    You are correct it is abs sheet, I think I got it at Lowe’s and used a multi-purpose glue that works on pvc, cocci and abs.
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on my 3rd set of fenders and they are held together with large washers, Looks like crap. GD replaced my first pair of fenders while it was under warranty in 2018. Mine cracked like the worker tightened the screws too tight. That is just the beginning of my story.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcjackson77 View Post
    I am on my 3rd set of fenders and they are held together with large washers, Looks like crap. GD replaced my first pair of fenders while it was under warranty in 2018. Mine cracked like the worker tightened the screws too tight. That is just the beginning of my story.
    Do your fender skirts have the indentations where the screws are?

If so, I had great results with a sheet of ABS plastic off Ebay. I cut and formed small pieces to fit into the indentations, and then used a JB Weld adhesive for ABS to secure them. I drilled holes and used stainless screws. If you carefully hand form fit the small ABS pieces you cannot even tell they were added to the skirts. I have had not issues since.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Do your fender skirts have the indentations where the screws are?

If so, I had great results with a sheet of ABS plastic off Ebay. I cut and formed small pieces to fit into the indentations, and then used a JB Weld adhesive for ABS to secure them. I drilled holes and used stainless screws. If you carefully hand form fit the small ABS pieces you cannot even tell they were added to the skirts. I have had not issues since.
    Yes mine have the indentations and I used epoxy then large fender washers. I d like to replace them. They are $80.00 each from the dealer. (Robbery) Surly we can find them cheaper somewhere online. Before I unload it. I am looking at an Outdoors RV F26RKS made in eastern Oregon. Check them out they have a complete suspension with shocks and 6000 pound axles. Just a long way to drive for a new 5th wheel rv. They build all their rv s for off road.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we first got our trailer (transcend 26RLS) I noticed when I looked in my side view mirrors while towing, that my plastic fender skirts were flapping in the wind as we drove down the highway...A LOT! I started to notice stress marks in the plastic around the screw heads almost right away. The fender skirts only were supported by the screws a long the top. It looked like the plastic fender skirts might come flying off real soon unless I found a way to better support them. The passenger side was easiest to address and I added a couple supports (metal brackets) in the middle between the two tires at the bottom of the fender skirt. The other side with the slide out was more of challenge, since everything moves. I couldn't add a bracket because it would get crushed when I brought in the slide and there nothing really to attached it to. I noticed that there was a big bolt in the slide between the two tires. It looked like it might be used to do some sort of adjustment to the slide, but it was otherwise stable. So I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the skirt (you can't see it unless you get very low). Then I took a plastic tie wrap and passed it thru the hole and around the bolt and back, then snugged it up tight. I'm not sure what this bolt is for, but it can still be easily moved or the can cut the tie wrap and reinstall it if needed. I could take a pic if you like. That seemed to stabilize the fender skirts as we drove down the road. Well I did this about three years ago (about 8000 miles of towing) and the plastic fender skirts are doing fine. I hope this helps.

Bob

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Outdoors RV does cost more But I firmly believe you get what you pay for!