Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodipak View Post
    How heavy are you loading the trailer to get the 1000# TW?
    6860Lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Ford 1/2 ton diesels but they really didn’t give them enough payload to be useful.

I would steer clear of the 2800BH, it’s just too much trailer with the 1/2 ton. We were looking at the same two campers as you. Bought a 2500RL for less money. Replaced the recliners with a 72” pull out couch with some of that savings and have zero regrets. Love the bigger bathroom between us and the boys and also the living room full of windows for great views. Weighs 920lbs on the tongue ready to camp.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I love the Ford 1/2 ton diesels but they really didn’t give them enough payload to be useful.

I would steer clear of the 2800BH, it’s just too much trailer with the 1/2 ton. We were looking at the same two campers as you. Bought a 2500RL for less money. Replaced the recliners with a 72” pull out couch with some of that savings and have zero regrets. Love the bigger bathroom between us and the boys and also the living room full of windows for great views. Weighs 920lbs on the tongue ready to camp.
    We like the 2500RL too. Do you find it problematic at all to have to turn the couch/dinette into a bed and back each day?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our boys are 9 and 11. The slept on the dinette the last season and a half. They were fine but getting a little cramped. We all loved the recliners more than we expected and it was only their growing size that made us pull the trigger on the couch. The dinette takes much longer to break down and set up. But you get good at it, maybe 2 minutes for it.

This spring we bought the trifold sofa. They use a pillow and sleeping bag on the pull out couch. At breakfast time we have them throw their bags and pillows on our mattress and it takes me 30 seconds to make the couch or bed. We don’t use sheets. You can get it from the factory with the 68” couch. But since I caught a deal on one with recliners I took it. I bought a 72” couch off Amazon, it was pricey, like $1350. It makes a short queen bed, like 70x60. I’ve laid on it and I’m sure adults could use it in a pinch. It fits that spot in the 2500 like a glove, like it was really designed for it. I feel like in another 2-3 years they’ll want to be in a tent.

To answer another question you posted, the 2400, 2500 and 2600 campers, like all grand designs, are much heavier on the tongue weight than what they publish. The first two are commonly in the 800-1000lb range and 2600 seems too be a little lighter because if that rear bath. Maybe 750-850lbs. Owners feel free to chime in. You can also use the search feature finding these numbers as we’ve have this conversation dozens of times. Search “2400rb tongue weight”.

I suggest having a good look at the 2500 and 2600. We picked our 2500 mostly on price, but then the floor plan has won us over. At the time it also offered larger tanks than the 2400 and that matters because we boondock a lot. The 2600 had the best storage and heavier axles, but you would want to verify the size of that pullout couch and that floor plan puts the kids kinda close to the mommy/daddy bed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodipak View Post
    So if my situation mirrors yours, which it sounds like it could, what hitch do you use that is not getting rid of all the sway?
    Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling. I have the Equalizer 4 hitch. I moved some gear I carried in the truck bed to the pass through to raise the tongue weight, and towing was much better this last trip with little sway at ~65 mph. Had a day with ~20mph winds also, with no real issues. Now need to reweigh, but I would guess my tongue weigh is about 900lbs based on my earlier scale tickets.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 29TBS with the 150 Ecoboost MaxTow using a Reese Dual Cam. Tongue weight is 1100 plus 7800 on the axles. It's a bit over the edge of what most drivers here would like. I've been towing for a while and am fine with that. I keep my speed down for braking and it does fine on everything except gas mileage.

Sure, I'd be happier with a 3/4 ton, but I bought the truck I need 48 weeks a year, not what I'd like 4 weeks of the year.
    Last edited by Lane Hog; 07-31-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a different brand RV that is the same floorplan as the 2400BH (~100# between the two on brochure stats). Towed it with a F-150 5.0L V8 w/ tow pkg (15,100 GCWR, 7200 GVWR, 1344 CCC) with an Equalizer hitch.

Loaded RV with aftermarket mattress, no water, tongue weight was 800#-850# using a Sherline trailer tongue weight scale, throw in the hitch weight (~109#) and there was only 385#-435# for driver and passengers. Don't forget if you have a truck bed cover or other aftermarket add-ons then those count against CCC too. Good for a couple going out for a short trip, but any more passengers or stuff in the bed then we'd be over.

The setup drove fine and was stable on the highway until a semi or big RV passed then it was active driving to keep separation. While we were good on our weights, it just wasn't comfortable to drive and I didn't look forward to getting out on the road.

The 2400BH or 2500RL would be hitting the limits of that truck in real world use. For shorter trips and seasonal use, it should be fine but I wouldn't enjoy taking that setup cross country.

On a side note the challenge of the 2400BH is it's good for sleeping and a meal, but can feel cramped if you need to stay inside during the evening. The 2500RL would give you more evening space and seats for everyone to do a movie night when its raining outside at the cost of the kids not having dedicated space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12