Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800BH or 2400BH with F150 Diesel

I am looking to buy either of these two trailers. I have read all the threads thus far and haven’t seen anyone with this truck yet. Total capacity is a hair over 11,200#, payload limit on my door sticker is 1400#. I sold my previous trailer and all gear will transfer to the new rig. Total weight of all added cargo in the trailer will never exceed 1000 pounds (not including water). I know this because I have weighed it from my previous trailer. My F150 is the lariat 4x4 SB superCrew with the 3.0 powerstroke. Total weight of all occupants and gear in vehicle will never exceed 350 pounds…I pack light (not an RV gear hoarder) and keep everything in the trailer. I use 2 lithium batteries, 2 - 20# LP.

My question is this. I figure I am good on all weights in either case with 164# payload to spare on the 2800 and 209# to spare on the 2400. Will the Propride 3P be a necessity for a good pull or should the Equalizer 4 point do the job. I am leaning Propride and the 2800BH unless I am missing something.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imo a propride is unnecessary if the trailer is loaded properly with a heavy TW

The Equalizer is a great hitch. It is what I used on my previous trailer
    I now have a Husky Centreline that works great as well but I wish I had my Equalizer back

I don’t bring anything out of the ordinary with us camping other than maybe regular folding chairs(hate camp chairs) that may weigh more perhaps
    Tools and a box with repair materials (eternabond,sealant,hoses,regulator etc)
    Portable BBQ
    Can’t find my last weigh slip but with my kids 16 and 10 and my dog ,one bike in the truck ,box with helmets and life jackets and 2 tandem kayaks with rack ( total weight of kayaks and rack 220 lbs) my GVW of the truck was 7400 lbs and change

So over by the weight of the kayaks

I personally think you will likely be over payload with the 2400 and definitely over with the 2800 and the extra weight of the propride will just make it worse

The 1400 payload you mentioned,is that door numbers or actual scale numbers?
    My door says just under 1800 lbs payload but scale says I have 1300

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently towing a 22mle (GVWR 6995) with a F150 2.7 EB Lariat (payload sticker 1426). Our tw is usually around 760. IMHO I wouldn't go any larger or heavier. The power is adequate, it's just at it's limit everywhere else. YMMV. On the GD tt, the tw is usually around 12.5 and 13%. BTW, the propride is real heavy wdh, you'll need to factor that weight in the payload.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, if that 350 lb gear/occupant in the vehicle number holds, you will probably be near payload with the 2400BH and an Equalizer 4, and likely over with the ProPride. The issue with the 2400BH for me has been getting enough weight on the tongue to eliminate sway. I need to re-weigh again after some recent changes moving gear around, but in the past I have been ~50 lbs under payload hitched up. (I have an 1850 lb payload but more occupant/gear weight than you.)
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would buy the 2800 and a new truck or buy an A or C class and pull your old truck with it. I love my 2400bh but after a month trip and getting comfortable towing it I could of used a little bigger.
    TW is about 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTheLeg View Post
    IMO, if that 350 lb gear/occupant in the vehicle number holds, you will probably be near payload with the 2400BH and an Equalizer 4, and likely over with the ProPride. The issue with the 2400BH for me has been getting enough weight on the tongue to eliminate sway. I need to re-weigh again after some recent changes moving gear around, but in the past I have been ~50 lbs under payload hitched up. (I have an 1850 lb payload but more occupant/gear weight than you.)
    So if my situation mirrors yours, which it sounds like it could, what hitch do you use that is not getting rid of all the sway?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    I would buy the 2800 and a new truck or buy an A or C class and pull your old truck with it. I love my 2400bh but after a month trip and getting comfortable towing it I could of used a little bigger.
    TW is about 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How heavy are you loading the trailer to get the 1000# TW?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Imo a propride is unnecessary if the trailer is loaded properly with a heavy TW

The Equalizer is a great hitch. It is what I used on my previous trailer
    I now have a Husky Centreline that works great as well but I wish I had my Equalizer back

I don’t bring anything out of the ordinary with us camping other than maybe regular folding chairs(hate camp chairs) that may weigh more perhaps
    Tools and a box with repair materials (eternabond,sealant,hoses,regulator etc)
    Portable BBQ
    Can’t find my last weigh slip but with my kids 16 and 10 and my dog ,one bike in the truck ,box with helmets and life jackets and 2 tandem kayaks with rack ( total weight of kayaks and rack 220 lbs) my GVW of the truck was 7400 lbs and change

So over by the weight of the kayaks

I personally think you will likely be over payload with the 2400 and definitely over with the 2800 and the extra weight of the propride will just make it worse

The 1400 payload you mentioned,is that door numbers or actual scale numbers?
    My door says just under 1800 lbs payload but scale says I have 1300

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    1400 payload is door sticker max payload numbers. Don’t know what actual scale is. I don’t put anything in the bed of my truck when I tow, just 350# of people, not including me, and my hitch (everything else goes in trailer). So that leaves up to 1050# left for tongue weight and hitch allowance.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodipak View Post
    1400 payload is door sticker max payload numbers. Don’t know what actual scale is. I don’t put anything in the bed of my truck when I tow, just 350# of people, not including me, and my hitch (everything else goes in trailer). So that leaves up to 1050# left for tongue weight and hitch allowance.
    Run it over a scale It only takes a minute or two

Google cat scales They are everywhere

Take the weight minus the gvwr and that is your payload

Unsure what the person above is experiencing but my 2400 tracks perfectly behind my GMC
    Literally can drive with a finger on the wheel while being passed
    This was the same when driving the trailer home when new which was 1300km and empty (630lbs TW)

I am quite positive you will be over with the 2400
    Would it stop me? Unlikely but that is your call only to make
    We generally drag our trailer 3-4 hours and park it for the summer only moving it between sites when there

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last cat scale heading to the coast minus the wife

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg 
Views:	32