User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to monitor both legs of the 50amp system

I have 380FL (50amp) and am wanting to see if anyone knows of a duplex amp monitor. One that will read and constantly display the amp draw for each of the legs. I have the Progressive Industries 50am EMS. I know it displays both legs, but that is installed before my ATS (and doesn’t display both legs at the same time) and I have a pass-through inverter/charger installed after that point. So I am able to use my batteries to “make-up” the other amps when I am connected to 30 amp shore power. So I want to install one monitor that displays both legs amp draw (at the same time) (if such a monitor exists, as I have googled amp monitors for a few hours now, and all I can find are ones with one “channel”.)
    Thanks in advance for any all and help!!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use this: https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Sur...s%2C263&sr=8-4

It has the dual leg monitoring and also displays on the internal monitor. Hope that is helpful.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one below doesnt seem bad. It will only do one leg, so you would need to use two of them. I dont know if that's an option for you, but I dont see one for two hot legs either. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210724-222132_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	35655

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the hard wired version of the Watchdog. It has Bluetooth and you can monitor both legs. Works great.

Tim

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Watchdo...7PMJ2K95&psc=1
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking this is going to be the best option. I already get both legs from my EMS, but that is reading shore power only. My inverter does power sharing, so can make a 30amp shore power act like a 50amp.

Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The one below doesnt seem bad. It will only do one leg, so you would need to use two of them. I dont know if that's an option for you, but I dont see one for two hot legs either. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210724-222132_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	35655

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So quick update… I bought two of the monitors that are listed above. But I knew I wanted to be able to monitor amps on both legs at the same time (one amp reading, thus no math needed). So after having the monitors and CT’s (current transformers) in hand for a couple of days and pondering how I could do this, I have solved part of my problem.

Quick run down of my system:

2 Renergy 12v lithium 130ah in parallel
    Go Power 3000w 50-amp pass-through inverter/charger
    400w Renergy solar w/ Renergy MTTP solar charger

So my shore power comes into the RV, through the ATS [(Automatic transfer switch) pre wired for generator], out of the ATS goes into the inverter, out of the inverter and straight into the power panel. This inverter/charger is able to pass 50amp (from shore power) through it and has the ability to power share from the batteries (when on a 30amp shore power).

The problem I was having was I could not tell how many amps I was using and if I were to have a power share problem, I wouldn’t be able to read the amp’s on each leg to see what was going on. So my fix for when I am on 30amp (or a fake 50amp) was to install the CT’s on the power legs going into the RV’s power panel (output side of my inverter/charger). I then placed the leads from the CT’s into parallel and installed the leads into my meter. So when I am on 30am (or fake 50amp) I am able to read total amps on one monitor.

I know that I will get whacked out amp readings when I am on a 50amp (240v) shore power (but I am able to turn this monitor off0. But there really isn’t anything to worry about power wise when connected to 50amp (240v). But if I wanted to be able to read amps when on 50amp there are some things I would need to do: Install two more CT’s (one on each leg) and connect the Reb and black leads in anti-parallel (red from one to black from the other). I would need to install a 3 position switch (would go with some style of rocker switch). Wiring the rocker switch would be down with inputs attached on the outside connections (parallel on one side, ant-parallel on the other) with output (from the switch) using the middle connection points, and then wire the output from the switch to the CT terminals on the monitor. Then just flip the switch for either 30amp or 50amp and still get total amp reading on one monitor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6FE909D4-D988-455F-8BE1-F77DD49E0480.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	35789
    Last edited by Tsmaster; 07-31-2021 at 06:16 PM.