User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dallas bypass which is better US 69 or US 271

Planning a trip to Mississippi and wanting to try a new bypass around Dallas, Will be coming south on 287 and am looking at grabbing US 82 east at Henrietta. Tip advisor and or Google maps is saying to grab either US 69 south to I20 at Bellis, or continue east on US 82 to Paris then grab US 271 south to I20.

I have driven parts of 69 before (has good safe passing opportunity's) as I used to cut over on US380 from Decatur, but that is to built up now and a traffic mess. Never driven 271

So which is the better rout and road. Travel time and distance are about the same.

Thanks
    Last edited by powerscol; 07-25-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've driven through and around Dallas a few times with and without an RV. I think I finally decided the best roads are through Dallas. That or stay up on I-40 and then cut down to MS, but I'm not sure where in MS you are headed.

My last attempt around Dalles was from east to west. I took I-49 north from Shreveport to Texarkana, then US 82 west to Wichita Falls. I-49 was awful! Nothing but dips and humps; one of the worst interstates around (although there are lots of those); and it looked new. And US 82 was so bad I ended up putting the PS wheels in the shoulder lane; I can't recall if that was the whole length or just east of Paris.

I tried US 380 once too. Geesh... that was a mess and had LOTS of traffic.

I'm waiting to hear what others say.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry
    Heading through Jackson on my way to Georgia. I have driven I40 before and cutting down - not good. Also gone straight through Dallas 287 to 380 east to I 35 south to I35E to I635 east around and then grab 80 east or if I miss the exit down to I 20. All I remember is 6 lanes of white knuckle "H" with the most inconsiderate drivers I have ever been around - especially with a trailer behind me. Changing lanes was near impossible. Never go that way again. The 82 to I 49 seems a bit out of the way with bigger towns to drive through.

My FIL did the 82 to 69 and said it was OK, but he did not have a trailer behind him.

Thanks for the information
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in the DFW area for 13 years and have traveled through periodically since then (both with and without the RV). My experience has been that, when you avoid the interstates and get off on the US highways and Texas state roads, you start adding to your transit time significantly. This is due to the myriad traffic lights, lower speed limits, and greater congestion on the secondary roads. My strategy the last 30 years has been to head straight through on the interstates or their loops (preferring I-20 to I-30 for east-west travel due to the tolls and city centers) and stick to the second or third lane from the right. Oh - mid-morning, mid-afternoon, or the middle of the night are best.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in East Texas and just happened to have used the same route last month coming back from Colorado. Either hwy 69 down to I20 or go on over to Paris and come down hwy 271. Both routes have good state highway roads, and it's honestly a toss of the coin. Going to Paris might offer a little better roads but it also may be about 45 min longer.

I took hwy 69 down to Greenville to Mineola and then to I20. I have traveled these roads for many years, and there is no way I'll go through the DFW- Ft. Worth area any more. The traffic is insane, day or night. Hwy 380 used to be a good route but Denton and McKinney are now part of Dallas. Avoid at all costs.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I live in East Texas and just happened to have used the same route last month coming back from Colorado. Either hwy 69 down to I20 or go on over to Paris and come down hwy 271. Both routes have good state highway roads, and it's honestly a toss of the coin. Going to Paris might offer a little better roads but it also may be about 45 min longer.

I took hwy 69 down to Greenville to Mineola and then to I20. I have traveled these roads for many years, and there is no way I'll go through the DFW- Ft. Worth area any more. The traffic is insane, day or night. Hwy 380 used to be a good route but Denton and McKinney are now part of Dallas. Avoid at all costs.
    Thanks I think I will go the same way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Thanks I think I will go the same way.
    There is a little stretch of a smaller 2 lane road after you go through Bells but after that it's fine. Once you get to Greenville the road is great all the way to I20. There is a large station, with good prices, to fuel up right on south side of I30 where hwy 69 crosses. Easy in and out for trailers.
    2020 Reflection 273MK