Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi Stage Converter?

New 2022 22MLE. I didn't get a manual or info on the converter/charger. I'm just trying to confirm that it is a "smart" charger that will float the battery as it should? The previous older RV's we had always had single stage chargers that would burn the batteries up if I didn't install a separate charger.

Also, if we want to add solar, I assume we would just disconnect that converter/charger and replace it with a higher performing solution?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    New 2022 22MLE. I didn't get a manual or info on the converter/charger. I'm just trying to confirm that it is a "smart" charger that will float the battery as it should? The previous older RV's we had always had single stage chargers that would burn the batteries up if I didn't install a separate charger.

Also, if we want to add solar, I assume we would just disconnect that converter/charger and replace it with a higher performing solution?
    You probably have the infamous WFCO converter.
    It is supposed to be multistage, but rarely works as it should.
    Do not bother trying to warranty it, as you will just get frustrated. Just replace it, as they are not that much $$$ to stress over.

As for solar, the short answer is that you still need the converter. BUT, solar means different things to different people... Some end up with lithium batteries as part of a solar solution. If so, then you should get a lithium compatible converter when replacing the WFCO.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    You probably have the infamous WFCO converter.
    It is supposed to be multistage, but rarely works as it should.
    Do not bother trying to warranty it, as you will just get frustrated. Just replace it, as they are not that much $$$ to stress over.

As for solar, the short answer is that you still need the converter. BUT, solar means different things to different people... Some end up with lithium batteries as part of a solar solution. If so, then you should get a lithium compatible converter when replacing the WFCO.
    Thanks much. I'm not new to RVing but definitely new to solar. I was thinking I want to add solar panels and go with 200AH lithium, so I'll keep researching that and plan to replace the onboard converter with an appropriate setup. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar is simply a different way of charging your battery. Doesn't really have anything to do with converter directly. Your converter is a WFCO. It is multi stage but not that great as @huntingdog mentioned. Its not smart but will work with your lithium battery if you choose that route but will not charge them to 100%. You'll need a converter/charger that is compatible with lithium to get them to 100% as they require a higher voltage. There's are many good threads on this and many of our members are quite knowledgeable so don't be shy to ask questions.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Solar is simply a different way of charging your battery. Doesn't really have anything to do with converter directly. Your converter is a WFCO. It is multi stage but not that great as @huntingdog mentioned. Its not smart but will work with your lithium battery if you choose that route but will not charge them to 100%. You'll need a converter/charger that is compatible with lithium to get them to 100% as they require a higher voltage. There's are many good threads on this and many of our members are quite knowledgeable so don't be shy to ask questions.
    I appreciate the info. I'll check other threads to learn more about a solar setup.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t get hung up on charger stages. It’s mostly just definitions that describe what is happening rather than actual different behavior from the charger.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also most everyone else calls these “converters” chargers. We installed a Victron Multiplus 3000, to not only add a great 3 stage charger but also electrify all our 110 outlets from our onboard batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Multi...00273785&psc=1
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Important to understand the three stages of charging so to determine battery type you want to use. Also in understanding the batteries acceptance of charge , overcharging, or equalizing. Again dependent on battery type.

You don’t want to be charging at bulk rate once the batteries are charged
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM