User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilizer Jacks - Will Not Stay Stable

How much torque do you give stabilizer jacks once they have touched ground? I give a little extra to "tighten" the jack so maybe it raises the frame an inch... However, I find that not long after we've been walking around the trailer, it starts to shift and when I check all the jacks inevitably one of the jacks is no longer touching the ground (or pad if I've used one) so I have to torque it some more. Am I doing something wrong?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple brands of strut rods you can add to do that and to make the trailer even more stable...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop tightening the stabilizers when I see the trailer start to lift. For our trailer, I lower/tighten all the jacks before putting the slide out. Once the slide is out (driver side), the passenger side jacks are loose again due to the weight redistribution and need to be re-tightened. So tightening the jacks is a two-step effort before and after the slide is out for us. That being said, even with the stabilizers tight the trailer still would shake a lot. So I started using X-chalks and they seem to stabilize the trailer very well. For example, before using the X-chalks, the window shades would knock against the wall when I walked around inside. Post X-chalks, that does not happen nearly as much.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once mine hit the ground I give a few more turns. I also installed the SteadyFast system which takes about 90% of the shake out of the trailer when set up. http://www.steadyfast.com/
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also tighten then until I see the tt lift a little. I also use the rubber pads under them. Although I'm not sure if they make a difference. There's still a little bounce but it doesn't bug us. You could look into the strong arm or steady fast I think they are called. They get really good reviews. As for the x-choke, I've seen a few comments where they bent the axles if over tighten and if setup when the tires are hot, they'll come loose when the tires cool down.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    How much torque do you give stabilizer jacks once they have touched ground? I give a little extra to "tighten" the jack so maybe it raises the frame an inch... However, I find that not long after we've been walking around the trailer, it starts to shift and when I check all the jacks inevitably one of the jacks is no longer touching the ground (or pad if I've used one) so I have to torque it some more. Am I doing something wrong?
    I lower the jacks just until I see the frame start to move up, no where near the 1 inch you are lifting. I will then go back around maybe the second day and use the manual wrench to snug them back up. Mine have never loosened to the point that they are no longer touching my blocks.

You may want to consider a product such as this nut lock (there are others). http://https://www.amazon.com/Sizzer...88068647&psc=1

Stabilizer jacks will not keep your trailer from 'shifting' or moving front to back or side to side. To eliminate that movement you need to 1) ensure your tires are chocked well, 2) use a product similar to x-chocks between the tires, 3) install stabilizer supports such as JT Strong Arms, or 4) Valterra Universal RV Stabilizer which is installed under your rear bumper or front frame cross member.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Sizzer Jack Nut Lock. Works great and easy to use. Www.sizzerjack.com.
    June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppies Ellie and Ruby, Oklahoma City, OK
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G
    2019 Winnebago 2106FBS Micro Minnie (Sold); 2018 Reflection 230RL (Sold)
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up JT Strongarm they are all over YouTube I have them on my 5th wheel.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am easily bothered by my camper shaking and I am finally to a point where I'm satisfied.

After leveling my camper, I set the 4 stabilizers on top of my wood cinder blocks. I tighten them to where they start to lift the corner. The least amount you have to lower the 4 stabilizers is the best. I then add my x-chocks between the tires. Then I open the slide. Lastly, I add 2 Valterra stabilizers, one under the rear bumper and one under the stairs.
    https://www.valterra.com/product/rv-...iversal-boxed/

I go go around on the second day and make sure everything is still tight.

I wanted to install something like the JT Strong arms but it looked like they may not be a straight forward install on my camper.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say your not doing anything wrong just maybe adding some 2 X boards about 12” to 18” long under the sand pads (creating a wider foot print) of your stabilizers, stack a few on top of one another so as to not over extend, would help. You may still need to re-torque things the next day. I use a cordless impact set to one to lower the stabilizers which provides a controlled frame lift of +- 1 inch.
    The use of boards may not be as pretty as some of the aftermarket items, but just as effective.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast