User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

354M and I hate my entry door interior latch!

Need some tips after searching on my own for some solutions to my problem from all your wisdom out there!
    We are stationary at the moment in Oklahoma and the winds are relentless. Our rig has the standard dealer door latches. The interior portion has the small squared grip to open. The problem lies in regards to the high winds ripping what little room they give you to grip out of our hands slamming it against the side of our fiver. We have the grab bar on the screen- high wind gusts will rip that off the main door ( replaced the lock there already). Had anyone come up with anything unique or found an upgrade we can do to help this situation? It’s almost impossible trying to open the door safely with straight line wind they get here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to find a replacement as well. The plastic grip is very difficult to get a secure grip on for someone with large hands. Also wondering on the longevity given it flexes a fair bit as well with use.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're up against a couple of road-blocks, here. We have an RVLock 4.0 keypad lock on the door, but it's interior handle is similar to the OEM handle (although a slightly larger area to grip and more sturdy). The door is a very thin aluminum skin over a foam core. This combination will not hold screws which makes installing something else on the door surface problematic. And, yes, using a screen grab bar is not a good option because of the flimsy plastic screen door latch held in the door skin with two screws. We've experienced some really high winds (several times in the 50 MPH range), but the only time I've ever had the door ripped out of my hand was in California with a 70 MPH gust. You might check these out and see what you think:

https://www.rvlock.com/products/rvlo...xoCU-AQAvD_BwE

If you watch their site, they often have 40% off sales.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe fasten some kind of lanyard to the door handle. My RVLock has a metal pull handle (al-be-it pretty small) on the inside that looks like it can be drilled and a lanyard attached. Or maybe connect a lanyard to one or more of the screws holding the lock assemble on.... ????
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaesyandtombutler View Post
    Need some tips after searching on my own for some solutions to my problem from all your wisdom out there!
    We are stationary at the moment in Oklahoma and the winds are relentless. Our rig has the standard dealer door latches. The interior portion has the small squared grip to open. The problem lies in regards to the high winds ripping what little room they give you to grip out of our hands slamming it against the side of our fiver. We have the grab bar on the screen- high wind gusts will rip that off the main door ( replaced the lock there already). Had anyone come up with anything unique or found an upgrade we can do to help this situation? It’s almost impossible trying to open the door safely with straight line wind they get here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking along the same lines as @traveldawg. Maybe drill a hole in the handle and attach a strap or lanyard to it.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You're up against a couple of road-blocks, here. We have an RVLock 4.0 keypad lock on the door, but it's interior handle is similar to the OEM handle (although a slightly larger area to grip and more sturdy). The door is a very thin aluminum skin over a foam core. This combination will not hold screws which makes installing something else on the door surface problematic. And, yes, using a screen grab bar is not a good option because of the flimsy plastic screen door latch held in the door skin with two screws. We've experienced some really high winds (several times in the 50 MPH range), but the only time I've ever had the door ripped out of my hand was in California with a 70 MPH gust. You might check these out and see what you think:

https://www.rvlock.com/products/rvlo...xoCU-AQAvD_BwE

If you watch their site, they often have 40% off sales.

Rob
    Rob, is this the lock you have installed on your Solitude? If so, is it a direct replacement for OEM door latch for Solitudes (plug-n-play)? Thanks.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshhm View Post
    Rob, is this the lock you have installed on your Solitude? If so, is it a direct replacement for OEM door latch for Solitudes (plug-n-play)? Thanks.
    Yes - it was a direct replacement for the OEM lock and handle that come on the Solitude. The outside of the set isn't as flat as the OEM and the grab handle rubs on it a bit when folded for travel - but that hasn't been an issue.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015