User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Near disaster in Tulsa in construction zone.

I was towing my trailer this last week through Tulsa Oklahoma and there is a large construction project going on there on 44 where there are barricades on both sides of the road and very narrow lanes. That made me pucker up as there was a lot of traffic going through there with me. What came up next was very scary. I saw in the distance that a car did not appear to be moving in the right lane. I slowed down and pulled up on a small car that apparently had a flat tire and the tire was pulled off and leaning up against the wall with the car up on a jack. The lady was sitting on the passenger side of the car with all this traffic driving by her. I was stuck for a bit as i couldn't pull over to the left lane as there was a steady stream of cars and semis going by and I couldn't get any speed up to merge into that lane. What really got me to thinking was that the broken down vehicle had no warnings out and if I was in a predicament like that I would not have any warning devices either. I had meant to get some but just had not done that yet on my fairly new trailer. I had been looking at those flashing led lights but had not pulled the trigger yet. I did notice several times during our trip that the broken down semis were still old school and using the safety triangles. I happened to be in an antique store with my wife that same afternoon and there was a set of really nice weighted emergency triangles with a case and all and it was ten dollars. Snatched that right up. The reason I'm writing this is to let those that don't have any devices know to go out and get something right away! Kind of shook me up when I pulled up on that stalled car as it could have been a disaster. I was fortunate that I had slowed down and was able to stop.
    Tim and Nora
    2021 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2021 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @tabnab,. Great post and totally agree on the safety devices. Great price on the ones you purchased/rescued!

I had bought the LED pucks. When I ordered them they were supposed to come with batteries and the did NOT. So I returned them. I then ordered the reflective triangles. My reasoning was that for the LED I felt for something you may never use, when you did need them the batteries would probably be dead. Also, I didn't need one more thing to keep charged up. So old school low tech it is for me. The batteries on my reflective triangles have not died and I haven't had to recharge them.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great reminder, was thinking about that yesterday as we drove past a disabled Momentum that had their triangles out..which we really wanted to stop and help but with trialer in tow and heavy traffic we couldn't pull over safely. Sorry we couldn't stop to whoever was stuck on 696 if you're here on the forum... we do need to get some triangles or flares for ourselves
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the first things I got was the flashing emergency light kit for the rig. I had an incident when returning from our honeymoon years ago. While traveling through Richmond VA I made a boneheaded move with the car. While I was replacing the blown tire, my new wife was gathering up the hubcaps (in the middle of I95, no traffic to speak of back then). I had ended up in the on ramp to I95. A Big Rig came past to get on the interstate and slammed on the brakes as he was approaching, and slid on by. When stopped he calmly walked back and placed flares and a triangle well before my car. Upon returning to his truck, as he walked by me, he said, "that's for the next A##h@l& that almost hits you". Got in his truck and left. In the mean time a trucker on I95 was trying to pick up my wife. Lesson Learned. At least about using emergency lights/triangles and so on. Not so sure about the bonehead stuff yet, 43 years later...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Great reminder, was thinking about that yesterday as we drove past a disabled Momentum that had their triangles out..which we really wanted to stop and help but with trialer in tow and heavy traffic we couldn't pull over safely. Sorry we couldn't stop to whoever was stuck on 696 if you're here on the forum... we do need to get some triangles or flares for ourselves
    I know what you mean about not being able to get over. On our last trip to Havasu, I saw a vehicle disabled on the side of the road, so I moved over a lane (only 2 lanes). Of course the anal orifices stayed in the right lane to get around me. When we passed the, "vehicle" it was a jet ski trailer with a tire gone. It appears the tow vehicle went to town to get a new tire, and one person stayed behind. He was setup under an EZUp on the side of the road. I wanted to get over to offer him some water, but as mentioned, people were passing on the right. I looked in the mirror and saw he had an ice chest, so I didn't feel as bad. Oh, and it was 108 outside.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading "tabnabs" story, it dawned on me that I had one of those red cases in my shop.
    It has 3 safety triangles in it, so as soon I finish this reply I will go out and put this into our RV.
    Great story - it helped me to remember what I already had.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had bought a box of three triangles back in 2000 when we got our first trailer. Never used them until I blew a tire in '16 (the tire in my avatar).
    We drive mostly in daylight so didn't need the light up ones...batteries would probably be dead after 16 years.
    With me under the trailer, it was nice to have them out a ways. With a speed limit of 70 (& people doing 80) I strolled down the hwy about 40 yards to put the first one out.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired Highway Patrolman, vehicular traffic is a deadly risk. If your vehicle can still move, drive to the nearest exit and/or wide-as-possible-as-far-off-the-road location, even if you will do more damage or destroy your tire/vehicle. If you're "dead-in-the-water" & can't move your vehicle, activate your hazard lights, keep an eye out for approaching traffic, bail out to a safe location, & call 911. Flares, cones, triangles & other devices will help warn oncoming traffic, but they are inadequate safety barriers to a moving vehicle. A tire or vehicle can be replaced, but your life on the other hand....well, need I say more. Stay safe! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some kind of marker is a must. I put these in my truck as soon as I got it:

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Veh..._dp&th=1&psc=1

I use these for marking landing zones, so I know they work well. Just replace the batteries once a year, even though they all still work fine.
    Built in hook and a magnet on each one (my truck is aluminum ) Small package and easy to use/store.
    The goal is to get attention. For me this type of puck light in quantity will get noticed right away.

Be safe.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I’m glad you guys are OK!

Second it’s funny to read how just many of us there are in SE Michigan.

I originally bought the red puck leds, I had reservations about pulling them out and having dead batteries. I try to pull every battery from every device at the end of season and then replace them in the spring.

I have since bought a pack of three road flares at Menards and I have some bright white LED work lights with a flash feature also in the pass though. I figure between those three items hopefully we will have a “safe” breakdown if one occurs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast