User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Yes, GenY has a few different models depending on the weight you are towing/carrying.
    For example, the GY66FR is a 25K GVWR with a 3500 - 5500 pin weight.

They have another 25K rated for a bit less pin weight, and yet another for a smaller GVWR.

Unfortunately, everything I've read is "No". This is not technically approved by Lippert; which by extension would not be approved by Grand Design.
    There are some theories as to why. I wont get into that, but you can read posts and evaluate whether the GenY would work for your application.
    Thanks, guys - always learning on this forum. I guess I live with the Goosebox weight limit and try to move some weight farther aft, or give in and go with a conventional 5th wheel hitch.
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post
    Okay, now I'm coming back to earth and am confused.

The Gen-Y fifth wheel-to-gooseneck adapter states only a 3500 lb max pin weight, not 5500. Am I missing csomething?

And does anybody know if Grand Design (Lippert) will stand behind the frame warranty like they do on the Reese Goosebox?
    I think you might need this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...ch/GY73FR.html

I’m not sure about frame warranty, I’m in the same position as you, but with a lighter trailer. Haven’t made the jump yet, but my warranty runs out in a few months and after that it won’t matter. Camped next to a couple who had the Gen Y on a very large toy hauler last month. He was very happy with it. Only a couple of moving parts, and no air bag to service, which was his big concern. I’m still torn, and I only have 2000-2400 pounds of pin weight to deal with depending upon how we pack. We have a Reflection 303. I’m leaning towards a Goosebox, as the 20k can move to a much bigger trailer when/if we trade up. As far as I can see, you cannot go wrong with either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    I think you might need this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...ch/GY73FR.html

I’m not sure about frame warranty, I’m in the same position as you, but with a lighter trailer. Haven’t made the jump yet, but my warranty runs out in a few months and after that it won’t matter. Camped next to a couple who had the Gen Y on a very large toy hauler last month. He was very happy with it. Only a couple of moving parts, and no air bag to service, which was his big concern. I’m still torn, and I only have 2000-2400 pounds of pin weight to deal with depending upon how we pack. We have a Reflection 303. I’m leaning towards a Goosebox, as the 20k can move to a much bigger trailer when/if we trade up. As far as I can see, you cannot go wrong with either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll keep that Gen-Y in mind - as I understand it, the problem with gooseneck adapters is they put too much stress on the welded joints of the fifth wheel frame where the horizontal front end angles downward (you can clearly tell I am not an engineer), and only the Reese Goosebox is approved by Lippert to minimize that stress.

I have only a few months experience with the Goosebox, but the air bag maintenance is really minimal so far. If mine is filled to about 35 psi unweighted, it will be about 45 psi hitched. I have only pressurized it once, even though Reese says it will lose pressure over time. We have taken 3 trips so far, 3-5 hours each way, over a 5 month period.
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found my Cat scale receipt and I'm confused. Nothing but full tanks and my wife an I in our 2020 RAM Laramie CC LB 4x4 SRW. GVWR is 12,300 and payload is 4014. By my math, the empty weight of the truck would have been 12,300-4014 or 8286 or am I computing wrong? In any case, we trued out at 9020 lbs on the Cat scale with 5460 on the steer axle and 3460 on the drive axle. If so, my effective payload would be 12,300-9020 or 3,280 lbs. Am I computing correctly? Since the two of us don't weigh 734 lbs, I'm trying to figure where the extra payload loss comes in. I'm only aware of two add-ons - spray in bedliner by dealer and folding tonneau which I had installed and can lift (means it can't be more than 40 lbs).

I've seen two completely different RAM documents on how they compute payload - one with 150lb driver and full tanks and the other no driver and empty tanks. Assuming the latter ok, drop 265 lbs for 32 gal fuel and 5 gal Def and we still don't weigh 468 lbs. What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even be concerned with the "paper numbers". What you've got is based on your Cat scale weights. I would say your math is correct: GVWR-Scaled weight= Payload.
    Work with that and ignore what the papers say you should weigh.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I wouldn't even be concerned with the "paper numbers". What you've got is based on your Cat scale weights. I would say your math is correct: GVWR-Scaled weight= Payload.
    Work with that and ignore what the papers say you should weigh.
    Exactly. It doesn’t matter who weighs what or how you get there
    Subtract scale from gvwr and you get payload

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123