User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wow... decisions decisions. CAT scale was a surprise

I hadn't yet weighed my new setup (new truck + Reese Goosebox) to check weights.
    Figured I was well within limits based on previous weights with my '14 3500 SRW, but short bed. The '21 has 450 lbs more GVWR and I removed the fixed hitch and went with the Goosebox.

I'm 100 pounds over the GVWR, and within 120 pounds of the RAWR.
    I was fully loaded up with wife, dogs, etc. But I didn't have any firewood, I do have ~100 pounds or so of firewood at times.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer Weights.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	35717

Where I think I went wrong:
    he 50 gallon fuel tank adds about 115lbs over the '14 fuel tank.
    The long bed and air suspension adds a few more pounds than I anticipated.

I've read enough on here, and even participated in discussions about weights, SRW versus DRW, 3500 versus 2500 versus a Kenworth, etc.
    I believe, regardless of opinion, one should be within the weight rating of the vehicle.

I can get the weights into specs... BUT then I have the nagging thought that I am within 99% of my weight rating.
    A few more of mama's biscuits could put me over. And... what kind of stress am I inducing here.

I only tow ~ 2k miles per year.

Is it work considering a change This is also my daily driver, so while I'm not afraid of a DRW truck, it is a "bit" more difficult around town
    If I did go DRW, would I benefit from the better turning radius of an F450 (That really hurt to type it "out loud")

First world problems !!!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If under and within specs keep what you have
    It isn’t going to self destruct being over a bit

But if it was me and said I was at max weight with my half ton the forum would be alive with people saying I must trade for a bigger truck

We will see if they say a drw is a must

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only you can make that decision - and it sounds like you have a good grip on the important factors and facts. I can only address the F450/turning radius question: while I would love to have a later model F450, I've never gotten into a situation where the turning radius of our crew cab, long bed, DRW F350 caused an issue (and we're full-time with stays in a lot of different places).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Only you can make that decision - and it sounds like you have a good grip on the important factors and facts. I can only address the F450/turning radius question: while I would love to have a later model F450, I've never gotten into a situation where the turning radius of our crew cab, long bed, DRW F350 caused an issue (and we're full-time with stays in a lot of different places).

Rob
    Thanks Rob,

I've had a few scenarios at some parks in Oregon where the spots were tight to get into, with the tree, brush etc. across the road at the worst place.
    My short bed had a tough time (or at least I did... lol), The long bed would've been rough.

Haven't had an issue in years... I'd prefer to stay Ram.

Tough choice. Damned if you do, D....
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Thanks Rob,

I've had a few scenarios at some parks in Oregon where the spots were tight to get into, with the tree, brush etc. across the road at the worst place.
    My short bed had a tough time (or at least I did... lol), The long bed would've been rough.

Haven't had an issue in years... I'd prefer to stay Ram.

Tough choice. Damned if you do, D....
    Curious what your CCC is on your '21 3500. Looks like your pin weight is ~3300 lb.

And if the question is ever F450? The answer is always, "yes".
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Curious what your CCC is on your '21 3500. Looks like your pin weight is ~3300 lb.

And if the question is ever F450? The answer is always, "yes".
    Yes, Pin is 3300. CCC (Payload) is 3823.
    Tells me the empty truck is 8,477, so packed up for camping we're adding 623 pounds.

This sounds pretty crazy, but doing the math I can get within 73 pounds of the 623:

Me, Wife, Dogs, kennel, B&W ball, chain holders, tie downs, tow strap, etc
    I wonder if the empty weight on the truck is accurate from Ram, or if the rear air, or other accessories didn't get added in ???

Stuff really adds up !!!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Yes, Pin is 3300. CCC (Payload) is 3823.
    Tells me the empty truck is 8,477, so packed up for camping we're adding 623 pounds.

This sounds pretty crazy, but doing the math I can get within 73 pounds of the 623:

Me, Wife, Dogs, kennel, B&W ball, chain holders, tie downs, tow strap, etc
    I wonder if the empty weight on the truck is accurate from Ram, or if the rear air, or other accessories didn't get added in ???

Stuff really adds up !!!
    Dealer installed options aren’t usually in the sticker number. Anything from a bed cover, running boards, etc.

Stuff really does add up!

I’m generally a believer in sticking with the weights as well, BUT - you have a good truck that has already served you well for a bit, and you aren’t over axle weights. This one would come down to comfort for me. If it pulls fine, run it, especially with your limited time towing.

What I can’t speak to is whether or not it will take away from your ability to relax and enjoy vacation
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You problem sounds like the same problem I had with a 310GK-R. I had 1 ton with over 3700 pounds of payload and from the factory 2400 pound pin. Loaded for 30 day trip I ended up over my GVWR and within 200 pounds of my axle ratings. I wanted to add a generator and stack washer dryer which would put me over the my axle weights. I don't tow over weight so I sold the truck and the 310GK and bought a Class A DP with 7224 CCed.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-27-2021 at 05:21 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Dealer installed options aren’t usually in the sticker number. Anything from a bed cover, running boards, etc.

Stuff really does add up!
    You know, I didn't consider the power running boards as additional weight.

Note, all of my options (power steps, tonneau cover, rear step, bedliner, etc.) were all factory installed. I @$$umed they would've been considered in the payload capacity, but I doubt they are.
    The steps likely yes, as it's standard for limited trims. The others were additional checkboxes.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    You problem sounds like the same problem I had with a 310GK-R. I had 1 ton with over 3700 pounds of payload and from the factory 2400 pound pin. Loaded for 30 day trip I ended up over my GVWR and within 200 pounds of my axle ratings. I wanted to add a generator and stack washer dryer which would put me over the my axle weights. I don't tow over weight so I sold the truck and the 310GK and bought a Class A DP with 7224 CCed.
    That's a beautiful diesel pusher!

May consider a diesel pusher at retirement (~ 10 years).
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast