User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    You know, I didn't consider the power running boards as additional weight.

Note, all of my options (power steps, tonneau cover, rear step, bedliner, etc.) were all factory installed. I @$$umed they would've been considered in the payload capacity, but I doubt they are.
    The steps likely yes, as it's standard for limited trims. The others were additional checkboxes.
    I don't know for sure on Rams but the Ford 150 plant every truck is weighed going out the door and the sticker is printed and put on the door jam.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

I've had a few scenarios at some parks in Oregon where the spots were tight to get into, with the tree, brush etc. across the road at the worst place.
    My short bed had a tough time (or at least I did... lol), The long bed would've been rough.

Haven't had an issue in years... I'd prefer to stay Ram.

Tough choice. Damned if you do, D....
    Ram makes a short bed dually….. It’s very popular in the livestock / rodeo / ranching world in my area.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammy&Grandad View Post
    Ram makes a short bed dually….. It’s very popular in the livestock / rodeo / ranching world in my area.
    I've been able to get away with short beds for a while now; my trailer is a wide body, and a front end not well suited for short beds.
    It worked, and only had an issue once. I'm VERY careful when turning, but I had a scenario turning into a campground (one we visit often now) where the turn is just over 90 degrees and slopes down.
    Created perfect scenario where I kissed the cab. Was NOT a happy camper.

A slider hitch solved that problem, but lost all bed space.

This time... long bed with Goosebox.
    Have my bed for lumber, and can turn without worrying about kissing the cab when towing.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only operators who have never needed the tighter turning radius of the 450 are the ones who have never experienced it. Myself included. Moving to a 450 was the easiest thing ever from our 250. We always discuss turning radius and how much easier it makes the 450 for parking and driving. Backing up a trailer and maneuvering is even more amazing. Just yesterday I had my 25’ equipment trailer picking up a tractor for transit. The tractor was in a parking lot and some Jack wagon was parked across the marked lanes making for a entry that required a pull in and back around the parked truck with about 10 ft of room to move. Took about 6 maneuvers but I got the trailer turned and into position. The turning radius allowed me much tighter turns and made for a much faster recovery. Not a week goes by that I’m not amazed at the difference it makes. Game changer. For campers and tight campgrounds there is no equal.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't yet weighed my new setup (new truck + Reese Goosebox) to check weights.
    Figured I was well within limits based on previous weights with my '14 3500 SRW, but short bed. The '21 has 450 lbs more GVWR and I removed the fixed hitch and went with the Goosebox.

I'm 100 pounds over the GVWR, and within 120 pounds of the RAWR.
    I was fully loaded up with wife, dogs, etc. But I didn't have any firewood, I do have ~100 pounds or so of firewood at times.
    Attachment 35717

Where I think I went wrong:
    he 50 gallon fuel tank adds about 115lbs over the '14 fuel tank.
    The long bed and air suspension adds a few more pounds than I anticipated.

I've read enough on here, and even participated in discussions about weights, SRW versus DRW, 3500 versus 2500 versus a Kenworth, etc.
    I believe, regardless of opinion, one should be within the weight rating of the vehicle.

I can get the weights into specs... BUT then I have the nagging thought that I am within 99% of my weight rating.
    A few more of mama's biscuits could put me over. And... what kind of stress am I inducing here.

I only tow ~ 2k miles per year.

Is it work considering a change This is also my daily driver, so while I'm not afraid of a DRW truck, it is a "bit" more difficult around town
    If I did go DRW, would I benefit from the better turning radius of an F450 (That really hurt to type it "out loud")

First world problems !!!
    I had a problem online this line. I had an F250 short bed. The GVW was 10000 lbs. I had picked up a new Reflection 5th wheel and was not fully loaded when I took it to a CAT scale. The resulting weight of the front and the rear axle was 9,980 lbs, without a full load or my wife. I went to an F350 DRW long bed for a couple of reasons, a weight that took me to 14000 lbs and a 40-gallon fuel tank. The F250 was a 26-gallon tank and I spent too much time looking for fuel. I had a DRW F350 years ago and always felt safer with the heavier tow vehicle and little to zero movements with passing truckers. I am getting almost 12 miles per gallon with this 11-speed trans.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a slightly different twist on the weight subject (that caught me by surprise). We bought a Solitude 3540 GK, GVWR 16800 and 3950 CCC, equipped with a Reese Goosebox 20k. To pull it we bought a 2020 Chevy 3500 LB DRW 4WD. The GVWR is 14400, 10500 RAWR.

So - CAT weights of the truck (with me, wife, cat and "stuff" ready to camp) are: 9360 and 4100 rear axle weight.
    with trailer hitched, RAW is 7380 - so still an extra 3120 on the axle and 1800 under the total 14400.

The trailer axles were 11200, 2800 under the rated 14000 for the two axles.

Here's the surprise - the pin weight is 3280, seems harmless, right? BUT the Reese Goosebox is rated to tow 20000 WITH A MAXIMUM 4000 lbs of pin weight. I still want to add a generator (est 400 lbs with install hardware, shroud, etc), a washer and dryer (200 lbs) and a Morryde sliding storage rack (120 lbs) all up front and I only have 700 lbs of pin weight to play with. My wonderful basement on this model is only half full ......

Gotta get rid of that cat I guess............
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post
    I have a slightly different twist on the weight subject (that caught me by surprise). We bought a Solitude 3540 GK, GVWR 16800 and 3950 CCC, equipped with a Reese Goosebox 20k. To pull it we bought a 2020 Chevy 3500 LB DRW 4WD. The GVWR is 14400, 10500 RAWR.

So - CAT weights of the truck (with me, wife, cat and "stuff" ready to camp) are: 9360 and 4100 rear axle weight.
    with trailer hitched, RAW is 7380 - so still an extra 3120 on the axle and 1800 under the total 14400.

The trailer axles were 11200, 2800 under the rated 14000 for the two axles.

Here's the surprise - the pin weight is 3280, seems harmless, right? BUT the Reese Goosebox is rated to tow 20000 WITH A MAXIMUM 4000 lbs of pin weight. I still want to add a generator (est 400 lbs with install hardware, shroud, etc), a washer and dryer (200 lbs) and a Morryde sliding storage rack (120 lbs) all up front and I only have 700 lbs of pin weight to play with. My wonderful basement on this model is only half full ......

Gotta get rid of that cat I guess............
    If it comes down to keeping the cat... the Gen-Y version of the goose box is available up to 5500# of pin weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    If it comes down to keeping the cat... the Gen-Y version of the goose box is available up to 5500# of pin weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    WOW, thanks for that information ! That can solve a bunch of questions for me. I guess another $2,000 is better than explaining all the reasons why our "big RV and "big truck" can't handle everything we want to my DW. I know that sounds like "mansplaining", but I had previously told her that "NOW, we'll never have to worry about weight limits again" after years of smaller rigs and smaller TV's ........

I still watch weights carefully, but really we should be able to do what we want with this RV and truck - and I love the Goosebox setup.

Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, now I'm coming back to earth and am confused.

The Gen-Y fifth wheel-to-gooseneck adapter states only a 3500 lb max pin weight, not 5500. Am I missing csomething?

And does anybody know if Grand Design (Lippert) will stand behind the frame warranty like they do on the Reese Goosebox?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gen-Y fifth wheel-to-gooseneck adapter states only a 3500 lb max pin weight, not 5500. Am I missing csomething?
    Yes, GenY has a few different models depending on the weight you are towing/carrying.
    For example, the GY66FR is a 25K GVWR with a 3500 - 5500 pin weight.

They have another 25K rated for a bit less pin weight, and yet another for a smaller GVWR.

Does anybody know if Grand Design (Lippert) will stand behind the frame warranty like they do on the Reese Goosebox?
    Unfortunately, everything I've read is "No". This is not technically approved by Lippert; which by extension would not be approved by Grand Design.
    There are some theories as to why. I wont get into that, but you can read posts and evaluate whether the GenY would work for your application.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast