User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator 110 to 12v

How long will a 110 refrigerator run on battery power that is converted to 12volt or will it even work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator 110 to 12v

Quote Originally Posted by Duzfire1 View Post
    How long will a 110 refrigerator run on battery power that is converted to 12volt or will it even work?

Through an inverter do you mean?

Off of a standard lead acid?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If OP is referring to using an inverter, lot of variables I would guess. What is amp/hr rating of the battery bank. How much current does the fridge draw. Also, I would assume the ambient temperature would affect the current draw over a 24 hour period.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thru the battery

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious
    How did you convert a AC fridge to DC?
    Or is this the part you are asking will even work?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I am curious
    How did you convert a AC fridge to DC?
    Or is this the part you are asking will even work?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    You don't convert the fridge to 12V. What you do is install an inverter thats hooked up to the batteries. The Inverter takes the 12V from the batteries and turns it into 110AC. You then can plug the fridge into the inverter and it runs like normal.
    Problem is and depending on how much amp draw the fridge needs you can run the battery/s down fairly quickly.

Most people that run 110 fridges off an inverter have larger battery banks and solar. If you're plugged into shore power then you can switch the fridge back to 110. Or you can use the inverter and let the shore power charge up the batteries.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator 110 to 12v

Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    You don't convert the fridge to 12V. What you do is install an inverter thats hooked up to the batteries. The Inverter takes the 12V from the batteries and turns it into 110AC. You then can plug the fridge into the inverter and it runs like normal.
    Problem is and depending on how much amp draw the fridge needs you can run the battery/s down fairly quickly.

Most people that run 110 fridges off an inverter have larger battery banks and solar. If you're plugged into shore power then you can switch the fridge back to 110. Or you can use the inverter and let the shore power charge up the batteries.
    Yes I am aware

In the comments I asked if through an inverter and he kind of said no
    Thru a battery

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, it would work with an inverter and enough battery capacity. A lot depends on the fridge. A dedicated 12V fridge consumes a good bit of power, close to 100Ah per day. A 120V fridge will consume more, even with everything equal, due to the inefficiencies of converting between AC and DC. And a residential fridge can consume quite a lot indeed. So it really depends on your equipment and how you use it. I think if you guessed 200Ah a day you probably would be in the right ballpark.

I wouldn't do it boondocking unless I had at least a kilowatt of panels on the roof. And even then, it might be cutting it kinda close depending on *where* you're boondocking.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 1980's ... 3 way fridges were quite common...12 volt/ 120 volt/ propane...12 volt worked great for travel days running off the alternator.... but that's it,,,,
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to clear up your question and answer it from my practical experience. I'm thinking you would like to run your absorption (110VAC / Propane) 'fridge on 110VAC using your battery as a power source? You would need to convert 12VDC to volts A/C. Have you or are you considering getting an inverter to do this function? The boiler in your absorption refrigerator uses a resistance element so it draws a lot of current. You would need a 15 amp circuit for it alone. That would lead to a minimum 2000 watt inverter. A single battery would not be enough to give any reasonable time. Multiple batteries with a generator or lots of solar power to keep them charged need to be considered.
    I have two Li-ion batteries in my trailer with a 3000 watt inverter. I have run the 'fridge on 120Vac electric, a few short periods while traveling rather than turn on the propane. To do anything more would require a lot more battery power. I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than a short term back up.
    To answer your question yes it would work but the expense, space sacrificed and trouble need be considered.
    Another line of thinking is if you are asking about converting to a 12VDC refrigerator. That would require exchanging your unit out in it's entirety as it is a different system completely. The 12VDC refrigerators work like a house unit using DC electric to run a compressor. If or when I move to a new trailer I would look into one of those.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast