User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference, I have a 2021 22MLE with 800lb tongue weight per a Cat scale. My 2017 Expedition has 1350 payload and we just barely stay under max payload. As you search (which I imagine you will be doing all evening) you will find this same issue over and over. Payload (as you have seen) is the first thing folks mention when asked on this forum and it is the last thing you ever hear about before you dive in. Seems obvious to me now and I admit I had never heard of it as a limitation before getting into RV'ing and I have been towing cargo trailers and boats for decades.

Keep at it and you will figure it out. This site is a wealth of knowledge.
    Kansas City and Lake of the Ozarks
    2021 22MLE
    2021 Ford F150 Platinum SCrew, Max Tow, 3.5L Ecoboost, 2k Pro Power
    Husky Centerline TS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traymilburn View Post
    thank you so very much... we are rethinking the travel trailer now. I love my truck but if it cannot pull the Imagine 2600RB I may have to back out of the sale which means I'll lose my shorts!
    Your truck can “pull” it but carrying it is the issue

This is what people don’t understand

Like said above I am not the weight police either and will never say to someone not to tow something but numbers are numbers

Perhaps if the dealer doesn’t return the deposit if you decide to back out maybe mention they didn’t do their job by ensuring you could tow it. It is a popular model and will sell quickly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually saw our truck and told us it could handle pulling this specific trailer. I guess that's why I'm so confused by it all.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this information... I did keep at it until after midnight last night. I suspect after work today I will do the same tonight. I never give up easily!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually saw our truck and told us it could handle pulling this specific trailer. I guess that's why I'm so confused by it all.
    But they didn’t
    They were negligent in not looking at your payload imo
    They saw a full size truck and a sale

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2600RB had a tongue weight of almost 1000# when we measured it on a CAT scale. That was with not really much in the trailer, loaded only for a 4 night trip.
    Our old truck, a 2017 RAM 1500, had a payload of 1404 and we were overloaded.
    And yes we didn't realize the trailer would be so heavy and the dealer didn't advise us.

We now use a 2500 to tow.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m agreeing with NB Canada on this one. They should have verified tow capacity of your truck bf telling you it could pull it. I have same tt and tow with an F150. The sales guy took the time to check my truck could tow it safely. Here in the flat Midwest it pulls it fine. If I was in the hills around you I’d get a bigger truck. Just my opinion after towing one this size for 20+ years. We do love the tt!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this information... I did keep at it until after midnight last night. I suspect after work today I will do the same tonight. I never give up easily!
    What have you decided?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is most sales people will tell you what you want to hear..yes your VW microbus can tow that 5th wheel. Most either don't understand payload limits or just don't care.

We purchased a 2020 2600RB and towed it with a 2019 F-150 5.0L, 6 ft bed and RWD. We were able to stay about 150 lb below max payload from the truck but the wife was very uncomfortable, especially when semis would pass. The salesman told us we would be up near payload max and made two suggestions. 1) determine what we would be putting in the bed of the truck and adding to the trailer (food, clothes, water, etc) and rough out the figures and 2) make sure we weigh the trailer/truck combo within a week of purchase. If it wasn't going to work, he said bring it back in and we could look at a lighter unit. He checked the payload sticker in the door AND the towing information from Ford. We decided we would go with the trailer.

We upgraded to a 2020 F-250 6.7L diesel, RWD and max payload. We don't come close to max payload, semis aren't an issue and it is a very comfortable tow. We just completed a 7500 mile trip with no issues towing, with a massive improvement while towing in the Rocky Mts and Cascades. And we had the whole rig weighed at a Smart Weigh, which is offered at two Escapee's Campgrounds (FL and TX, and you don't have to be a member to take advantage of Smart Weight but you do need an appointment). They weight all wheels (by axle) then the truck by itself. Gives us information by tire, axle, total truck/trailer combination and the truck by itself. With all of that information, we found the passenger side of the trailer was heavier (side with kitchen) and we had almost 1000 lbs of payload capacity still available. We have balanced the trailer by moving things around (moved tool box and a few heavier items to the driver side of the basement storage.

You will love the 2600, especially that large bathroom, but you and your family safety has to be #1 . You shouldn't take a monetary hit if you back out of the purchase since the dealer can sell the trailer without a problem. Don't let them rush you. If you want to downsize, GD makes a number of lighter trailers.

Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 08-04-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh just now seeing the difference from what you had to you have now. My apologies for the mistake!!! We actually have a weigh station with CAT scales about 5 miles down the road on I-64. Do we weigh it empty and then with ALL the junk we are putting into the trailer? My deepest apologies as I am so new to this process of towing... except for my little framed garden trailer. Here are the numbers on the door of the truck -

GVWR - 7300#
    FR - 3800#
    RR - 4012#
    Payload - 1267 #
    Towingplanner.com will guide you on how to weigh your rig.

You are probably in 250/2500 truck land.

Get the truck to safely tow your TT of choice.

If you go diesel, I'd recommend 350/3500. Essentially the same price; room for upsizing in the future.

Good luck and have fun!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast