User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bypassing converter elegantly

Has anyone bypassed the OE WFCO converter to use some other charger of their own choosing? Let's say I don't want to use a progressive dynamics drop-in module. Maybe I want to use a floor-mount. Or I want to use a Victron IP22. How hard would it be to bypass the WFCO converter cleanly and run the power over to the external charger while maintaining the rest of the A/C functionality from the WFCO?
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite sure what you are asking, The converter has no AC function if it is a stand alone model, it only provides the DC voltages and is plugged into the AC supplying the coach. You would have to take the DC output of the old and connect it to the new model and then unplug the old unit.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 07-28-2021 at 11:01 PM. Reason: CLARITY!!
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i wired in my victron multiplus i just did it in parallel to the wfco. Then i flipped the breaker for the wfco and figure if i ever need it in an emergency (in case the victron dies) i can just flip the breaker on again. No real need to bypass it, just turn it off.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do some dry camping and the factory WFCO is a lousy converter for getting a fast charge off a generator. I have an IOTA-55 deck-mount converter I've transferred between 3 trailers now, in our Imagine it's mounted inside the hookup center in the pass through. The + lead is attached to the battery side of the disconnect switch. I ran a separate ground lead through a hole I drilled in the floor and attached it to the grounding bolt under the frame. The WFCO is on its own AC breaker so I just turned it off. So now the WFCO is only used as an AC and DC distribution center.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    When i wired in my victron multiplus i just did it in parallel to the wfco. Then i flipped the breaker for the wfco and figure if i ever need it in an emergency (in case the victron dies) i can just flip the breaker on again. No real need to bypass it, just turn it off.
    This is a great point, thanks. It occurs to me I could just put a Victron IP22 right next to the solar charge controller, and plug it in to the AC outlet there in the distribution center. Then turn off the WFCO converter by breaker, like you suggest. Easily reversed, gets me exactly what I want. At 30A it's not a screaming fast charger, but it's my backup solution -- even at home I rarely plug into shore power, I usually just let the solar do it's thing. But I want to be able to efficiently charge the battery from shore power (or more likely generator) in a pinch.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5