Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Retirement is not a bad gig"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    THIS!! LMFAO!
    All part of the entertainment package while RV'ing.

Only recently retired. We usually drove long hours to get where we want to be. Then long hours to get back home to get to work on time.
    This year....things are different. We stop when we feel like it. Stay as many nights as we feel like. Retirement is not a bad gig.
    Could not agree more with you that "Retirement is not a bad gig" !!!!

But I keep wondering how many of us keep RVing (full time or just "trips") into our 80s?

Enjoy it while you can!
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

For many years I have thought that the wrong approach is being used in the push for electric vehicles. The battery and it's limited range are just the first problems. If we really end up with as many EVs as some are pushing for, more problems arrive. Sourcing all of the material for the batteries, the impact on the enviroment in mining etc. and handling the spent ones at the end of their life.... Remember we are talking about many millions of EVs. And what kinds of impact will the inevitable crashes have? The cleanup will be complcated, costly and likely dangerous. And many are counting on technology that doesn't yet exist, and may never exist to solve these issues.

My approach is much simpler, and can be done with technology that exists today.
    Take the battery out of the EVs.
    Electrify the roads and the cars get the electricity from the roads. Obviously it would start with the highways, and work its way down to major streets. A small battery would still be needed (likely about the same size as what is now under the hoods of ICEVs) in the EVs for side excursions off of the road grid, such such as residential streets, parking lots etc. Removing the battery pack will lighten the EV as well meaning a smaller more energy efficient motor could be used.
    This would be a huge undertaking but it solves all of the battery problems.
    All that would be left is solving the electricity supply issue. Which is more of a political problem than a technical one.
    My problem is that I would bet that "we don't how much we don't know" about the lithium battery life cycle and power distribution for charging them.

In the 1950s, proponents of nuclear power generation used to say that eventually, residential electricity would be too cheap to meter. By sometime in the 1960s we all knew it was not going to be that way.

Who knows how many issues they will find with EVs later on, like when we all get home and plug them into the grid trying to quick charge. In some areas of the USA, the electric grid is overstressed already, and wind and sun are not plentiful everywhere.

Time will tell!!!!
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345