Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-2-2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Never heard of 2-2-2. It is the rule of 3s that's the norm I've heard for decades from the full-timers (and also subscribe too as much as possible these days) - take a break every 3 hours, travel 300 miles a day, and be off the road by 3pm.
    LOL I've never heard it as 3's always 2's...inflation maybe.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
    I was reading an article about electric trucks and towing. In the article it mentioned that there is a general rule/guideline for RV'ing called 2-2-2.

*Take a break after 2 hours of driving
    *Drive 200 miles a day
    *Take a 2 nights rest

Anyone heard of this guideline? I can see the break every 2 hours, but only driving 200 miles a day and stopping for 2 nights seems a little much to me. Could take you awhile to get to your destination. Unless you are in no hurry???
    We prefer taking our time to get places, if we have an actual destination we're headed for. For us, the journey is the trip, so stopping frequently works for us. As to the 2 night thing - I really don't like one night stops, as you still have to get stuff out and put it away every day. It's nice to "set up shop" for a period of time before having to stow it all away for travel again.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pft. My rule is know my limits. I prefer to stay around 3-4 hours a day and arrive in daylight. Mileage varies depending on traffic, the passengers, etc. Most recent trip for me was this past weekend from Rapid City, SD to Hayward, WI in one day. Made it no problem with little fatigue so one night's rest was good for me to recover. .

Can I do that every time... possibly... would I want to? Heck no.

Different things affect the travel and your fatigue.

EXAMPLE:

The aforementioned trip was driving straight, practically one single highway for most of the trip, with very little traffic, no major cities, during daylight hours, in sunny/little wind conditions, and with easy on and off diesel stops. Even with a truck and trailer as big as we are, that makes it easy to keep trucking. Stress and fatigue increases exponentially the less favorable the travel conditions become.

Had that same distance been through cities, in the rain and wind, and with heavy traffic, I would likely have not made the trip in a day.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of 2-2-2 for years. It was for the travel, seeing the country your traveling in & checking out the destination for 2 days Of course that was in the day you could travel for 2 hours & find a place to put the trailer. These days the co-pilot is on the cell for those 2 hours trying to find a place to drop the trailer.
    I travel 4 to 6 hours at a time, 8 if I have to.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Same here. As full-timers, we try to keep it under 200 miles a day (yesterday was about 140 miles). On cross-country trips, every third stop we stay two nights to have a day of rest and to catch up on laundry or shopping if we need to. At our age, we're lucky if our bladders last two hours, though - especially after our morning coffee.

There's not an electric vehicle available to consumers at this point that would pull our fifth wheel or be logistically feasible from a charging standpoint. Since we're getting older, it looks like it will be diesel until we have to come off the road.

Rob
    Though we aren’t full time, I too practice an extra night every third day or so. Often planned for something we want to see in the area or a visit with friends. That leisurely morning with no rush to get on the road and the ability to fix a nicer meal for supper.

Also, knowing you have a day “off” lets you catch up on miles the day before if you need to, and the pause can be deleted if your schedule is tight and you have problems on the road. Traveling is always so stressful if you are running late!

My wife doesn’t drive much, but when she does, I can’t read because I get motion sickness almost instantly, so I tend to spend down days reading or making repairs.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the 2-2-2 is an old full-timers rule. It means travel 200 miles per day, arrive by 2pm, and stay for 2 nights. Has nothing to do with electric vehicles as originally defined.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Same here. As full-timers, we try to keep it under 200 miles a day (yesterday was about 140 miles). On cross-country trips, every third stop we stay two nights to have a day of rest and to catch up on laundry or shopping if we need to. At our age, we're lucky if our bladders last two hours, though - especially after our morning coffee.

There's not an electric vehicle available to consumers at this point that would pull our fifth wheel or be logistically feasible from a charging standpoint. Since we're getting older, it looks like it will be diesel until we have to come off the road.

Rob
    We are retired also, we try to follow the 2-2-2 rule as well.
    We stay 2 nights every other day when traveling.

We just made the trip from Georgia to San Diego
    GLowe - Retired
    Full-time RV - 2019 Solitude 374th
    2015 GMC Dually 3500 Denali
    Suzuki Trike in the garage

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-2-2 or 3-3-3 seems too rigid. Assuming we're trying to get to some place far away, we:
    - Change drivers/do rest stops every 2 to 3 hours.
    - Travel no more than 6 to 8 hours between morning-start and end-of-day.
    - Two-nights in one place only if we have things to do or see there.

STRESS LEVEL is important. Travel on I-40 through the US mid-west is a heck of a lot less stressful than I-95 to get to Canada or Florida. (Asuming no tornados or hurricanes.) Gotta take all that into account.

Then again, I remember doing 13-hour days from Fripp Island to DE, and from Mammoth Cave NP to DE. Both because the grandkids HAD to be home for sports the next day.

We do not recommend that kind of schedule! Be flexible and enjoy!
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We completed a 7,000 mile trip to southern Utah from North Carolina earlier this year. Drove about 350 miles a day for 3 days, then stopped for two days to rest, replenish supplies, etc. Once we reached Arizona, we through in sightseeing and had a more leisurely pace. I think the condition of the roads, time of year, traffic all come into play.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen an electric vehicle charging station in an RV park. I’m sure they are in the future. Saw one charging station last week at the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Cherokee area. It was broken! Could see using an electric car or truck as a tow behind vehicle. It takes a very long time to charge an electric vehicle on 110 volt, 20 amp receptacles. Can’t imagine (great name for an RV) how much it would cost to rewire RV parks for 30 / 50 amp RV plug and a second 50 amp service for electric vehicle. A 50 amp service will charge the vehicle at 37 miles range per hour and provide a full charge overnight. For now i am sticking with gas and diesel! Last i Knew the air coming out of modern diesel engines was cleaner than the air going in. Well that’s what the engine manufacturers say.
    HAPPY 😃 HAPPY 😊 RVing

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast