User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auxiliary Fuel Tank that will Fit Under my Bakflip Cover

I’m wanting to add an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed of my truck to extend travel time but I have a Bakflip cover and need to be able to close the lid. I drive a 2015 Ford F250 short Bed with a fifth wheel hitch in the bed. I wanting at least a 50 gallon tank. Any suggestions.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAPowerstroke View Post
    I’m wanting to add an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed of my truck to extend travel time but I have a Bakflip cover and need to be able to close the lid. I drive a 2015 Ford F250 short Bed with a fifth wheel hitch in the bed. I wanting at least a 50 gallon tank. Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    My answer will be a question first. Do you have the available payload capacity to carry an additional 425-450 lbs of aux. tank and diesel fuel? Most of the F250 diesels of that era will have no more than around 2100 to maybe 2200 lbs of payload capacity....and that is when they are new. Anything added after the truck was built...a 5ver hitch for example, will reduce that number even more. So, I just wanted to throw that out there in case you had not considered it.

If you do have the capacity, take a look through the RDS website and check out their selection of aluminum tanks that would work for you. I have a 60 gallon "L" shaped tank in mine, and although I don't use any type of cover over the bed, the tank does sit below the bed rails enough to use a cover of that type....

Here is a picture/drawing that I made and it is about 17" high including the bung on top....

The nice thing about an "L" shaped tank is that it allows room for a crossbed toolbox to sit on the truck bed rails above the horizontal part of the tank. I know you said that you are using a Bakflip cover, so that may not be of any value for you, but again, another bit of info out there....

Last edited by xrated; 08-19-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many auxiliary fuel tanks will fit below the bed rails. A lot will depend on your budget: prices will vary from $2000 to $500.
    Transfer Flo is very popular, but also very expensive. You can get aluminum or steel tanks from Northern Tool or any farm
    supply store, that will be priced much lower than Transfer Flo, or Titan tanks which are also quite expensive. You can
    install yourself or have it done, and you can choose how you want it to feed the OEM tank.

Many of them will have specs on how high they are. You would need to measure your bed with the cover and see what
    height will work for you.

I installed a 36 gallon steel tank from Tractor Supply with a pump and nozzle. I use an inline filter and fill the main tank
    when the fuel level get low. My total investment was about $400. It's been working well for me for over 15 years.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 08-19-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to do exactly the same. I wanted extra range from my 2019 F250 diesel but wanted a tank that would fit under the tonneau cover to keep anything I had in the bed safe from prying eyes. After a lot of research and measurments I opted for a 41 gallon tank ontine from JE Ellsworth. The addition of a pump made it too kigh so I have the gravity feed option. I had it shipped to a local garage who installed it for me, So far no issues. I love the extended range that it gives me. Only hurts when you initally fill up.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
    I wanted to do exactly the same. I wanted extra range from my 2019 F250 diesel but wanted a tank that would fit under the tonneau cover to keep anything I had in the bed safe from prying eyes. After a lot of research and measurments I opted for a 41 gallon tank ontine from JE Ellsworth. The addition of a pump made it too kigh so I have the gravity feed option. I had it shipped to a local garage who installed it for me, So far no issues. I love the extended range that it gives me. Only hurts when you initally fill up.
    I had already ran the wiring circuit with a relay to start the pump on a previous tank I had...and got rid of. So when I bought my new one, I went ahead and installed that same pump in the new tank and also added a gravity feed on the new one. I have options.....let it gravity feed, or if needed, I can pump about 15 gallons a minute with the electric pump.....that's a quick pit stop!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RDS makes at least a few tanks that would probably fit.
    2022 F450 Lariat
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RDS with toolbox
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 5.46.26 AM.jpg  
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one that I use on my truck. Fits under the backflip and is 69 gallon. F250 short bed, a little tight on the bottom and have to make a hole for the valve on the drivers side. You may want a little smaller tank so you don’t have to modify the bed so much. I have 5 of these trucks all set up the same at work and wanted the largest capacity possible so we don’t have to refuel that often, we average about 1800 miles between fill ups unloaded and about 1500 miles with trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FX425A..._fccfHJgfsiTMN
    2020 Solitude 380FL
    2020 F250 4dr
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    2018 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put in the 33 gallon RDS tank. Here is a link to RDS.

Which BAKFlip do you have?

I have a Roll-n-Lock so it had to fit under that top's canister. I might have liked a bit bigger tank but short of a custom made tank this was what I chose. Besides, it is a bit of compromise between cargo weight capacity and tank size, especially since I have a heavy auto slider hitch. I can drive all day before needing a fillup, but I hardly drive more than 5 or 6 hours so it is enough capacity for me.

I put in a pump and a solenoid valve and run it from a circuit I built that is powered from an up fitter switch and then activated with a momentary switch to run for 7 minutes (10 gallons) and then shut off automatically. It works well.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods