User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing capacity of a 2500 HD 6.6L Duramax diesel Chevy Siverado

Can a 2500 HD 6.6L Duramax diesel Chevy Siverado tow a Grand Design 310GK fifth wheel or the Reflection 337RLS?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling fisherman View Post
    Can a 2500 HD 6.6L Duramax diesel Chevy Siverado tow a Grand Design 310GK fifth wheel or the Reflection 337RLS?
    You haven't provided a lot of information, not even the year of the truck. I am assuming you don't have the truck. If you did you would want to look at the door sticker to get its weight capacities and most importantly the payload.

If you don't have the truck you can maybe use the trailer life towing guide. Here is a link to the 2020 guide. https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trail...wGuide2020.pdf

And of course go to the GD website and get the weights for the two models you are considering. For anyone to answer the question you will need to provide more on the truck. Long bed/Short bed? 4WD/2WD?

But to answer your question, yes it can tow them. The real question is can it tow them within ratings and safely?
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling fisherman View Post
    "Towing" is not much of an issue for any late model diesel. However, you will be exceeding the payload capacity of the truck - if that matters. It doesn't seem to matter to most people with 3/4 ton trucks.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    "Towing" is not much of an issue for any late model diesel. However, you will be exceeding the payload capacity of the truck - if that matters. It doesn't seem to matter to most people with 3/4 ton trucks.
    Agree with this. Far too many only look at towing capacity and fail to understand the payload capacity of a truck. Typically a 3/4 ton truck has approximately 2500 pound payload capacity. After you subtract driver, passengers, cargo, any truck accessories added after purchase and hitch weight you would be well below extra payload capacity to handle the 20 - 25% pin weight of a 5th wheel. So definitely no for a 3/4 ton truck and in fact a 1-ton DRW is the best choice. We have a 310GK we tow with a DRW and would not tow it with anything less.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year is the truck? My 2020 Chevy that I had was 3300lbs of available payload. I would think that would be pretty solid for that reflection.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing capacity of a 2500 HD 6.6L Duramax diesel Chevy Siverado

First, welcome to the site! Lots of great folks here and experience!

I think you would need a bit more truck for that rig. Pin weight alone would use 2800.- 3500 pounds at 20 - 25%. In the middle puts you around 3200. So if you load carefully on a newer model year truck (not max on truck or rig) you might squeak by, but you would be in the high end of the numbers. For an earlier year truck, too much.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-19-2021 at 12:56 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiasco13 View Post
    What year is the truck? My 2020 Chevy that I had was 3300lbs of available payload. I would think that would be pretty solid for that reflection.
    One of the "asked about" trailers has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs....and the other 15,000 lbs. If you use the 14,000 lb GVWR trailer as an example, if that trailer was loaded up to or close to the GVWR, you would likely have at a minimum....2800 lbs of pin weight being put on the truck (20% of the weight). If that pin weight went up to 22%, which is fairly common, then you would be looking at a pin weight of 3080 lbs. Then, when you add the weight of the hitch (175 lbs for a traditional type hitch), passengers, and anything and everything else that goes in/on the truck....you are very likely looking at overloading the payload numbers even on a truck that has 3300 lbs of payload capacity.

And you might say, well, I never travel that heavy, so I would be OK. That may very well be true, each and every person is different in what they want/need to take along when camping. I've always found that it is wiser to use a "Worst Case Scenario" approach when calculating this type of thing....thus the use of the 14,000 lb GVWR and the 15,000 lb GVWR examples. If you always calculate the worst case scenario, and then buy a truck that will never be overloaded even if you load the trailer all the way to GVWR, it then becomes almost impossible to not have enough truck. I live by the motto that is in my signature line....the Black Bolded part of it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 2020/21 Chevy & GMCs, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is one extra spring and $1000 on the 3500 (per conversation with sales person earlier this year when I was shopping). If you add aftermarket airbags or something like Sumo Springs, then you can boost your capacity to same or higher than a 3500. However, why not just buy the 3500 to begin with?
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    For the 2020/21 Chevy & GMCs, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is one extra spring and $1000 on the 3500 (per conversation with sales person earlier this year when I was shopping). If you add aftermarket airbags or something like Sumo Springs, then you can boost your capacity to same or higher than a 3500. However, why not just buy the 3500 to begin with?
    You may or may not know this, and I realize that you did not say "Payload" specifically, but just in case you or others don't/didn't realize that Air Bags, Sumo Springs, etc, do absolutely nothing to increase the truck's rated payload or capacities from a legal standpoint. Airbags are great for leveling (I use them myself), but they don't add any extra capacity to my truck. And technically, they DECREASE the existing available payload by whatever amount of weight they add to the truck.....same thing with Sumo Springs or any other device similar.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    I ask that question to the parts guy at the parts counter at GMC dealership and he pulled out a bearing that goes in the rear end of GMC truck. One was marked 2500/3500 and one was marked 2500 only. They both looked the same and had the same part number except different dash numbers at the end of the part number.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast