User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Campground or RV Park? IMHO two different facilities. I am not a full timer and frequent campgrounds, state parks and USACE parks....
    We completely agree with you...

Campground: Close enough for us to take and be able to park two vehicles. Two vehicles means my wife pulls our boat which means there needs to be water big enough for a boat with an outboard to fish and explore backwaters and canals. We like Michigan state parks on the west to north ends of the state the best. Living near Detroit I can honestly say the parks on this side of Michigan are sometimes very noisy and not as nice as parks further away. I am not putting anyone down or trying to belittle anyone, but the last time I camped in Irish Hills some drunk guy was driving through the park in a convertible at [4 AM] playing "Jump" at full volume, waking everyone in the park. He made several circuits!

But even the western Michigan campgrounds aren't as nice as they used to be. 20 years ago there was -0- noise allowed after 10 Pm. They patrolled the park every few minutes. Neither are happening now. Campers were not allowed to park next to the road so kids on bikes could be able to get off the road. Cars and RV's are now mostly parked less than a foot from the pavement! It is sometimes impossible to be able to make the swing to back our Solitude into a lot without bothering people to move their cars.

RV Parks: For our Solitude, 50 Amp service in warm weather is a must. Even with soft starts we can only run one AC on 30 amps at a time with everything else on gas (tried it...no go). There is a lot of roof surface area converting tall that sunshine into heat. Don't judge us but at our age we prefer quiet and adults.. We feel that hollow plastic wheels on pavement in an RV park should be banned. We don't care how old or new the RV's are as long as they are kept up and kept neat.
    Last edited by fez111; 08-05-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like spacious , level and sunny sites. Don’t like the mess trees make on your RV. Also like walking trails, restaurants etc. close to campgrounds. Full hookups are preferred but we have a solar panel and a generator if dry camping.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmelevu2 View Post
    What do you look for in a campground? What names you go back to places or if full timer what makes you stay longer? Concrete pads? Wooded or cleared? Good WiFi? Shopping, location? Any luxury campers that will pay extra for their must haves? I’m just curious
    For me, a campsite by a river or lake. Beautiful views of trees and or mountains...
    Not lots of people.. NO RV resorts with swimming pools, putt putt golf etc......
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    You might be waiting awhile for Starlink. The last comms I had with them (we have had Starlink since May) is they have no plans to make it portable. Today you're limited to about a 10 mile radius from the home address you give them. They assign you to specific satellites, and if your dish doesn't see them, you can't connect. I've got a technical discussion I had with them saved somewhere. Oh, and their system is very sensitive to a clear view to the northeast. The dish can't be anywhere near tall trees or other vertical obstructions. Somewhere in that tech discussion is a rough formula for vertical clearance. IIRC. it's about 1' for every 1.5' of obstruction height. So if you're near 75' trees, your dish needs to be 50' away. It might be the other way around (1.5:1). I don't remember.

We signed up for it on the come, hoping they'd expand the service. As it stands today, that's $499 wasted. When we did first try it out in a suitable location, it worked great. We had consistent 300Mbps speeds. We've since migrated to Nomad internet's cell-based service, coupled with a weBoost cellular amplifier. It also works great.
    I just saw a pix on my news feed of their new dish which is designed for mobile operation

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We 'B' train with a boat when camping, so, lake access for fishing. Hiking trails. A few trees between sites.

When RV'ing, ie where the big rigs go, full hookups and open sites for meeting people.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mostly stay in state/public campgrounds, or out in the sticks by ourselves. Stayed in a "resort" once or twice, not really for us. If in a CG we like to do some sightseeing if in a new area, walking/bicycle paths, maybe some single track parks nearby so I can go out & get hurt on my bike.
    One place we seem to go most EVERY year is Ft. Stevens St. Park in Oregon-11+ miles of bike paths, Astoria/Long Beach in Washington state is just a short drive. Sites are not huge but mostly private.
    Another place is Dead Horse St. Park in Arizona-in winter/early spring. Lots of mtn. bike trails a couple of lagoons.
    Both places need reservations way in advance to get the good spots.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A place that enforces the rules, especially the rules about being quiet and leashing dogs. I think I'll start carrying a cattle prod to zap dogs, or perhaps their owners, next time. I want to relax and loud neighbors during quiet hours and barking dogs just chaps my hide.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmelevu2 View Post
    What do you look for in a campground? What names you go back to places or if full timer what makes you stay longer? Concrete pads? Wooded or cleared? Good WiFi? Shopping, location? Any luxury campers that will pay extra for their must haves? I’m just curious
    Access number 1. We like wooded sites . Need space on sides to put the slides /awning out. Rear off trailer backs up to woods or lake. Good trails for hiking is a must. Lake or river nearby is a bonus. We camp almost exclusively at state parks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123