User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty repairs

This is not necessarily in relation to GD products but the industry as a whole. As one that does 99% of all repair to my trailer, I feel for those that have recently purchased new trailers and are experiencing issues they are unable to fix. Everyone is just not a DIY'er and that's understandable.

What's more disconcerting is that the industry has promoted "buy locally so you can get warranty work done in a timely manner". My understanding is many dealers will not do warranty work unless they sell the trailer, and the manufacturers are supporting these policies.

Well, many posts on this forum and others are showing that new owners are having significant issues with new trailers, and their local dealer service departments are taking weeks or months to repair the trailer. From a dealers standpoint, I would assume they make more money on routine out of warranty repairs that warranty repairs. That tells me who is going to be in line first to get repairs done.

Will all this change in a couple of years when we see a reversion to the means in RV sales? I realize increased sales, backordered parts, and Covid are a factor, but is this becoming the new norm? Just wondering.................
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so sure there will be a change, many of today's complaints about dealers are the same as a few years ago. Repair times have increased, as long as new sales keep climbing so will the repair times.
    It seems worse because the sales have skyrocketed and more have complained on public forms due to the numbers of increased sales. Add a shortage of RV mechanics and it seems like there will be no end .

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    This is not necessarily in relation to GD products but the industry as a whole. As one that does 99% of all repair to my trailer, I feel for those that have recently purchased new trailers and are experiencing issues they are unable to fix. Everyone is just not a DIY'er and that's understandable.

What's more disconcerting is that the industry has promoted "buy locally so you can get warranty work done in a timely manner". My understanding is many dealers will not do warranty work unless they sell the trailer, and the manufacturers are supporting these policies.

Well, many posts on this forum and others are showing that new owners are having significant issues with new trailers, and their local dealer service departments are taking weeks or months to repair the trailer. From a dealers standpoint, I would assume they make more money on routine out of warranty repairs that warranty repairs. That tells me who is going to be in line first to get repairs done.

Will all this change in a couple of years when we see a reversion to the means in RV sales? I realize increased sales, backordered parts, and Covid are a factor, but is this becoming the new norm? Just wondering.................
    It has always been this way... We are just hearing more about because of all the newcomers.... They drink the koolaid (buy local as your dealer will take care of you better) and are shocked when they find that it just dosn't work like an automobile purchase....In the quality AND service aspect.
    I have zero loyalty to any dealer for any reason. They will trip all over themselves to help you... Until the money changes hands.

So I purchase on price alone, and the local dealer is rarely in the running. I generally save at least 10K even after travel expenses.
    I do fix most everything myself, and if I need a dealers help, I have found that a pocket full of benjamins grabs their attention.

Remember this rule: Money is Power, the one with the money has the power. By saving some money upfront, you have the power to get a dealers service as a priority.... He knows he will get cash from you, vs, working on a warrany issue from a previous buyer.

Money talks. Always has, always will.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, lots of money can usually be saved by being willing to travel. Later you can use that money to pay cash for any needed repairs and still come out ahead, as well as avoiding the hassle of warranty work. Also, the closer to the point of manufacture means less dollars in freight.

I got a pretty good deal on my Reflection but wish I'd shopped even further north! I never took it back for any warranty work.

It's just painful hearing the dealer stories now days. Purchasing and/or buying.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 33’ Jayco TT for 13 years. Never had a problem. Never really even did much in the way of maintenance. Brought it in for wheel bearings or something like that. Washed it a couple times a year using a pressure sprayer because I’m lazy. Now we have the new 303RLS. In two months I’ve hand washed it twice. Been on the roof twice to inspect. Bought the right stuff (water pressure regulator, EMS, etc). Trying to do it right. I’m not a DIY kinda guy, but when something needs to be fixed I research it and if it’s safe to try on my own I attempt it. At my age I’ve surprised myself. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

One reason I purchased a GD is the fact they are good at letting you get warranty work done elsewhere! I have had two issues under warranty and the dealer was backed up over 3 months out, so I got the work done in a week at a local independent service center!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few problems which have cropped up, but I'm reluctant to take my trailer to a dealer to let sit for a few months while they get around to it. The dealer ghosted me when I tried to contact them about scheduling a time, and it *is* the dealer I bought from. I'm going to call GD one of these days and arrange through them, but I might also just hire a mobile tech instead out of my own pocket for the stuff I'm too chicken to deal with on my own.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    One reason I purchased a GD is the fact they are good at letting you get warranty work done elsewhere! I have had two issues under warranty and the dealer was backed up over 3 months out, so I got the work done in a week at a local independent service center!

Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I have a few problems which have cropped up, but I'm reluctant to take my trailer to a dealer to let sit for a few months while they get around to it. The dealer ghosted me when I tried to contact them about scheduling a time, and it *is* the dealer I bought from. I'm going to call GD one of these days and arrange through them, but I might also just hire a mobile tech instead out of my own pocket for the stuff I'm too chicken to deal with on my own.
    For all you guys thinking you have it figured out here's one. For some reason this Fifth Wheel I have seems to have a black cloud over it. Every time I go out somewhere something breaks or fails several recent things might have left me in a bind.
    I found a local Mobile Tech that not long ago struck out on his own. 6 months ago my trailer was damaged at the left rear lower trim panels when a car side swiped it. I had the Tech take a look, write an estimate for the insurance and then the fun started. Long story short he has now ghosted me telling me he is extremely backed up and only taking emergency work.
    The RV life isn't long for me
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    If you can find a trustworthy independent shop close by, GD is good at letting you get it fixed where ever is convenient for you! They will pick up the tab, just contact them and let them know where you will take it and have the shop contact GD and give them an estimate.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    If you can find a trustworthy independent shop close by, GD is good at letting you get it fixed where ever is convenient for you! They will pick up the tab, just contact them and let them know where you will take it and have the shop contact GD and give them an estimate.
    That's good to know, I may try to pursue that. I'm going to take one stab at addressing it myself, then failing that I'll just get someone else who knows what they're doing. My slide shakes & clanks for part of the travel in & out, and I've cleaned it, lubed the parts that should be lubed, checked the weather seal fitment. The only thing I haven't tried is adjusting the rails to be perfectly square -- one end is 1/2 inch farther out than the other. It has enough slop that it seals when it gets to either end of the travel, but I do wonder if being a 1/2 inch off might be making it just out of square enough that it's catching a little while sliding. It's an easy fix to try, but when it's time to take off the belly cover and go spelunking, I'm out.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast