Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hot springs arkansas suggestions

Hello everyone,

Our grand girls finally start school in early August so we have a couple of weeks of free time before gymnastics competition begins. We were thinking of taking a week and a half trip from Austin to Hot Springs.

Anyone with campground suggestions, places to see, things to do please let us know. We are planning to leave Austin and go to Canton Tx and then onto Hot Springs. I'm figuring on about 4 1/2 hours from Austin to Canton and another 4 1/2 from Canton to Hot Springs.

Again any and all suggestions will be welcomed.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed for a week at Lake Catherine State Park in October last year. Nice park with full hook-up campsites available. Nice hiking trails and not to far from town. Check out the state park website.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a nice water park in Canton. Petit Jean SP is about 70 mi north of Hot Springs. Very nice state part with lake, hiking, and has nice swimming pool (that I assume it's still open).
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake Catherine SP is cool. Several nice trails to hike up into the hills. Petite Jean is prettier to me , but there’s more to do in the Hot Springs area. One of our favorite areas to hang out. Catherine’s Landing is a resort style park that’s closer into town. They have zip lines , climbing towers , and a pool. Try out the fried catfish at Mr. Whiskers.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change of plans. We are going to Eureka Springs first then to Hot Springs. Question - Has anyone left Eureka Springs traveling down AR23 to IH40 to Russellville then used AR7 to Hot Springs.

Good Sam trip planner is taking me down AR23 to IH40 around Little Rock merging with IH30 back west to US70 to US70 to Catherine's Landing RV Park.
    Based on Google Maps AR7 might be a little "white knuckle" driving that far.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 is worse than 7. Do a google street view of both. They call 23 the “pig trail” because it is a short cut to Fayetteville to watch the Hogs play and because it is so crooked with a few switch backs. Construction and narrow lanes on 430 and 30 in Little Rock. 23 is a beautiful drive in the fall in a vehicle not pulling a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake Catherine and Lake Dardanell are both great parks. On out first trip to Lake Catherine, we did a road trip every day to check out the other Arkansas Parks. Their State Park system is second to none and you will not be disappointed by ay of them.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Change of plans. We are going to Eureka Springs first then to Hot Springs. Question - Has anyone left Eureka Springs traveling down AR23 to IH40 to Russellville then used AR7 to Hot Springs.

Good Sam trip planner is taking me down AR23 to IH40 around Little Rock merging with IH30 back west to US70 to US70 to Catherine's Landing RV Park.
    Based on Google Maps AR7 might be a little "white knuckle" driving that far.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Hwy 23 is two lane and very curvy. Lots of motorcycles, very few RV's as you average speed would be about 30 to 35 mph. You may be better served to take 62/187 from Eureka Springs and the I49 S to I-40 and across.

Hwy 7 is not to be trifled with. The highway is in pretty good shape but 2 lane, steep and very curvy. Having driven both multiple times I would consider alternate routes for through travel.

Both roads are beautiful,2 lanes with little to no shoulder and very few areas to pull off if you have any issues.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. We left Eureka Springs when down AR23 to 412 then cut-off to Fayetteville. Fayetteville to IH40 and to Hot Springs. Little longer but a much better road.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd give a short summary of our trip to Eureka Springs and Hot Springs. I don't like to post bad reviews about campgrounds because we need those campgrounds to do what we do and if a bad post causes the campground to lose business it's not good for us.

At Eureka Springs we stayed a Wanderlust RV Resort off AR62 on Passion Play Road. The good: This park was on the Eureka Springs trolley route so you caught the trolley and went to down town Eureka Springs and most anywhere else that you wanted. Didn't have to take the car because parking is almost non-existent in Eureka Springs. Also you are very close to the Passion Play and statue of Christ. The owners of this park are very friendly and helpful and the visitors and full-timers are very friendly and take time out to visit.
    I really don't see how this park got a 9.5 rating from Good Sam and a 4.5/5.0 from trip advisor. The only thing that I can think of is that they got the rating before travel trailer got to be over 20' and had slide outs. We have less than 3' between our front door and our neighbors slide out and out 7-9' feet from the front of my 5th wheel to the back of the across the way travel trailer. Plus they allowed parking along the fence line and behind the travel trailers which cuts down the 7-9' even more. When you sit outside in the evening you have to set in front of your rig, so you get to meet everyone that walks by. The bathhouse/showers were very outdated and not air-conditioned. One of the showers was out of service and they were closed from 11am to 2pm for cleaning (all 3 bathhouses were closed at the same time each day). We were scheduled to leave on Saturday by Friday afternoon the place was full. This meant that there was no way that I could pull forward out of my space and get out of the park. With another 5th wheel in front of me and a Tiffan Motorhome on both sides I was basically stuck. Luckily our Tiffan neighbor was a 30 year veteran of the armed services who specialize in heavy equipment and he was able to help me back out of our site and get out. One last thing the views were great and the weather was beautiful.

At Hot Springs we stayed at Catherine's Landing RV Resort. The park was great and had lots to do. There was Zip-Lining, a splash pad for the kids and a great pool. This park is on Lake Catherine (not really a lake but a big river) with party barges to rent. It has large a fairly clean bathhouse/showers. There spaces were just the opposite of Wanderlust. You could park our 5th wheel and still have room for the truck in back or in front. We stayed in the "new" pull through section (#7). This park is close to Hot Springs National Park off of AR270 and Carpenter Dam Road then left onto Shady Grove Road. Follow the campgrounds directions and not the GPS as the road gets very narrow and lots of low hanging trees.

Both Eureka Springs and Hot Springs were excellent and worth the trip. We even took a trip to Diamond Crater State Park. Found a bunch a pretty rocks but no diamonds, however the next week the big diamond was found. We spent 4 hours in the rain sifting for diamonds with no luck!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast