Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nylon lube plate on Truck Rather Than Trailer

I just got a nylon lube plate for my B&W hitch rather than the king pin on my trailer. Over the last 17 years of pulling a fifth wheel I’ve always used a nylon lube plate on the king pin of my trailer. We’ve been in the Elkhart Indiana area for a few weeks & the fiver owner of the fifth wheel next to me is a driver pulling fifth wheels for manufacturers. He has a B&W hitch on his truck & saw that he had a nylon plate on the hitch that covers the entire surface of the hitch. This interested me since the fork area of my hitch is getting scrapes in it when I back under my trailer. Most of these transport drivers seem to have the hitch mounted plates. I think that’s because they tend to forget to remove the plates on the trailers they are pulling.

I went to a local trailer place & had a plate installed on my hitch. The nylon plate has round holes in it. The shop welds washers on to your hitch that are placed in indentations on the plate. The cost was $35 for the plate & $25 for installation. This should last me many years & it will prtrct my hitch. Has anyone else done this?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plate on the trailer is large enough in diameter, you shouldn't be getting any scraps on the fork area. My disc covers all of the trailer that contacts my B&W hitch.
    However if the hitch was getting scraped up, I would certainly consider what you've done. I've read about some people that have trouble with the disc coming off when
    they drop the trailer, and your solution would be just the ticket for them.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S