User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    double post
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    Well, you may have just saved me a considerable amount of time and effort! That is a failure mode that I would not have considered early on. And I do have all the proper tools and extra MC4 connectors!

It seems like I might be able to tell if one of the MC4 connectors is incorrect and possibly damaged without opening up the Jaboni gland, just by visual inspection. If it turns out that I have an incorrectly assembled MC4 which is not damaged, I should be able to make a pigtail for that line. It would sure be nice if I didn't have to rip up that gland.

Thank you so much for the great explanation of your problem!
    A little more info. Since they put a female connector where a male should hav been, they then forced the two female ends togther somehow. they actually mangaged to get one female into another female damaging both in the process.

I think that the person they have doing the assembly of the MC4s has no clue what they are doing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    One more thing,I am not a fan of the location of the circuit breaker that GD chose. And I think you did the same. (generator compartment). The fuse should be close to the power source, in this case the panels on the roof. otherwise all of the wire from the panels to the gen. compartment is not fuse protected.
    They make MC4 fuse holders just for this purpose. They come complete with the fuse of your choice. Plug and play.
    That's a good point about the fusing, a short in that line could be an issue.

The more I think about it, the less I believe that an incorrectly assembled connector could survive connection to a properly assembled connector without damaging one of them.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, some good news today! I inspected the MC4 connectors in the Jaboni gland, and they appeared to be correctly assembled. I checked continuity on the 2 lines and found that the positive side was open between the gland and the breaker I had installed in the basement. Long story short, there WAS an inline fuse on that line, it was just pushed back into the underbelly. I was able to coax it out, and found it connected with a quick splice device on its output end to the solar cable running to my breaker, and connected with a quick splice device to -- nothing -- on its input end.

The only way to find the source side of the positive line was by lowering part of the underbelly floor. I found it about 18" back from the wall to the front basement, way too far for it to have been connected when it shipped in the state I originally found it. Anyway, the fuse is now removed from the circuit, and the positive line has been repaired. Everything seems to be working well.

Thanks for all the great tech support!
    Don
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Silverado 3500HD/CC/SB/SRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverDon View Post
    Well, some good news today! I inspected the MC4 connectors in the Jaboni gland, and they appeared to be correctly assembled. I checked continuity on the 2 lines and found that the positive side was open between the gland and the breaker I had installed in the basement. Long story short, there WAS an inline fuse on that line, it was just pushed back into the underbelly. I was able to coax it out, and found it connected with a quick splice device on its output end to the solar cable running to my breaker, and connected with a quick splice device to -- nothing -- on its input end.

The only way to find the source side of the positive line was by lowering part of the underbelly floor. I found it about 18" back from the wall to the front basement, way too far for it to have been connected when it shipped in the state I originally found it. Anyway, the fuse is now removed from the circuit, and the positive line has been repaired. Everything seems to be working well.

Thanks for all the great tech support!
    Great job on the diagnosis. Hope you did not spend a lot of time chasing my bum steer. It's good thing my bet wasn't with real money.
    So we have yet another way the factory can screw something up.

Interesting about your fuse. I have had the entire underbelly off, and I have no fuse there. Mine is fused thru one of the circuit breakers in the gen compartment.... It is almost like they make up how to do something as the mood strikes. Not to mention that was a lousy place for a fuse. Hard to access, and it doesn't protect most of the wire,
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-16-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Imagine 31RD with Jaboni roof hook up. Has anyone added a solar panel on an Imagine? Do you, or where do hook up the controller, do you have to cut the wires ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12