User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Board Battery charger

I have a 2019 Reflection Travel Trailer. Question on the on-board battery charger that charges when the trailer is plugged into AC.

Does it sense level of charge, then reduce the amps as it nears full, then go to a maintenance only charge when full? The owners manual is worthless on that info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    I have a 2019 Reflection Travel Trailer. Question on the on-board battery charger that charges when the trailer is plugged into AC. Does it sense level of charge, then reduce the amps as it nears full, then go to a maintenance only charge when full? The owners manual is worthless on that info.
    I'm voting that you have it right. That's the way battery charges work afterall. I know if you upgrade to LiFePo4 the internals need swa]ing out to provide mire power, or drop in a new charger alltogether
    - El Hefe

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I finally got the specs on it off the internet. Mine is a WF-9855 and the specs say it has a 14.4 volt bulk charge voltage, dropping to 13.6 volt in absorption more, then a 13.2 volt float mode which is where it would stay. If you are in a site where you have AC power, you can shut off the battery switch in the storage compartment if you want. That will stop the converter from charging the battery, but still supply DC to the trailer through the converter. I've done that a few times.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I finally got the specs on it off the internet. Mine is a WF-9855 and the specs say it has a 14.4 volt bulk charge voltage, dropping to 13.6 volt in absorption more, then a 13.2 volt float mode which is where it would stay. If you are in a site where you have AC power, you can shut off the battery switch in the storage compartment if you want. That will stop the converter from charging the battery, but still supply DC to the trailer through the converter. I've done that a few times.
    I hate to be the one to break it to you.... But the specs for the WFCO are not worth the paper they are written on.
    WFCOs never go into bulk, and rarely into float. They all seem to be stuck at 13.6 volts. They do however seem be reliable, as they rarely just quit... They are just reliably bad.

Now does this matter to you? That all depends. If you are like most and go to campgrounds with electric, then it never going into bulk is not an issue. You will be OK camping. And if you store it with the battery disconnected as the manual states, then the not going into float is not a problem either
    If you boondock.... You will want something else.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Not true, if you “shut off the battery switch” you will not have power to any 12 volt systems in your trailer (lights, sound system etc).
    "It Ain't Necessarily So". Quite a few people have commented about their batteries running down after turning the Battery Disconnect Switch to "OFF". Our last 5th wheel also didn't disconnect all power, and
    we did have a battery drain completely after we thought we had turned off everything. Seems like even the radio still had power when the Battery Disconnect Switch was turned to "OFF". Only way to be sure is to check the amperage draw with the Battery Disconnect Switch turned to the "OFF" position.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I hate to be the one to break it to you.... But the specs for the WFCO are not worth the paper they are written on.
    WFCOs never go into bulk, and rarely into float. They all seem to be stuck at 13.6 volts. They do however seem be reliable, as they rarely just quit... They are just reliably bad.

Now does this matter to you? That all depends. If you are like most and go to campgrounds with electric, then it never going into bulk is not an issue. You will be OK camping. And if you store it with the battery disconnected as the manual states, then the not going into float is not a problem either
    If you boondock.... You will want something else.
    I have a voltage monitor on my batteries that allows me to track their voltage on my iPhone (best $30 I have ever spent on a trailer) and I have been getting what the specs say, so maybe my WFCO converter is the exception. And when we dry camp (boondoggle), I charge the batteries with solar, though I do also take my Honda generator along "just in case" (cloudy weather), or if I actually need some AC for something.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 02-13-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. I’ve never seen my go into float mode at 13.2v. It always seems to be stuck at 13.6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C39D4172-B7E0-440C-82A6-22477AE6A0E7.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a voltage monitor on my batteries that allows me to track their voltage on my iPhone (best $30 I have ever spent on a trailer) and I have been getting what the specs say, so maybe my WFCO converter is the exception. And when we dry camp (boondoggle), I charge the batteries with solar, though I do also take my Honda generator along "just in case" (cloudy weather), or if I actually need some AC for something.
    What is your solar setup?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your solar setup?
    Pretty simple. A Big Blue Solar Suitcase with a Renogy 10 amp solar controller. Here's the panel info.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HZ25FSW.

Also had to get a Furion to SAE adapter to be able use the Furion solar port on the trailer. And since the Big Blue uses Anderson connectors, I had to get an Anderson to SAE connector. It works great though. Not enough panels to provide AC, but it keeps the batteries charged.

One could buy two (or more) of the solar suitcases and double the output as they will connect in a series. I only have one though.

Here's the Furion to SAE adapter:

https://www.zampsolar.com/products/p...-cable-adapter
    Last edited by hartcentr; 02-13-2022 at 01:32 PM.