Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barn doors with broken lag screws

I have a 2020 Solitude 380FL-R. A lag bolt that secures the barn door to the wall keeps sheering off. It’s in the same hole area every time. I am now one my third lag screw in the same area (I say area because I moved the hole over about an inch). Any ideas about the cause or a proper fix? Anyone else experiencing the same issue

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemanphil View Post
    I have a 2020 Solitude 380FL-R. A lag bolt that secures the barn door to the wall keeps sheering off. It’s in the same hole area every time. I am now one my third lag screw in the same area (I say area because I moved the hole over about an inch). Any ideas about the cause or a proper fix? Anyone else experiencing the same issue
    I'm not sure what you mean by a lag bolt As I have an image in mind that certainly wouldn't work. In any case i seems the threads aren't taking a hold of anything behind and pulling out. You could try a Rivnut or Molly Rivet in place and then bolt the hinge.

https://www.rivetnutusa.com/rivnut-rivet-nut/
    https://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Pop...e_p_23423.html
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response; A jacknut would be a good idea except the lag screw, screws, into a wooden support behind the plywood.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 380FL and this happened to the door between the bedroom and galley. Two of the four lag screws sheared off (leaving one end in the wall). The other two were bent (soon to shear as well).

I pulled the door off, removed the header rail moved the rail one inch to the left and reinstalled the rail (in the underlying wooden header) using grade-5 5/16” - 3 1/2” (long). Had to do a little clean up on the wall to cover the original install.

The door is heavy (like maybe 50 lbs) and it’s weight is completely supported by the rail. I fabricated a support block that I slide under the door when we travel. The block supports the weight of the door (on the floor) and prevents it from bouncing while traveling. I also replaced the same lag screws in the other barn door (between the bedroom and bathroom) with the stronger bolts.

The original bolts are total trash… no wonder they sheared. Some GD buyer wanted to save a few cents on fasteners and bought these turds…FAIL!
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F