User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making our first RV purchase, several questions

Looking to buy used, have it narrowed down to a 2020 260rd or 2018 29 rls. Both show very little use and are 1 owner units. Any input on these units would be appreciated.
    Other questions:
    When a 50 amp trailer is plugged into a 30 amp plug can you operate everything but one ac?
    Have read some concerns regarding using propane to power frig while traveling down the highway?
    Looking to also purchase a generator but very few have a true 50 amp plug, same question here can I run everything but one ac on a30 amp generator? Do I need any adapters or just plug trailer right it I the generator?
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Mlatham; 08-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlatham View Post
    Looking to buy used, have it narrowed down to a 2020 260rd or 2018 29 rls. Both show very little use and are 1 owner units. Any input on these units would be appreciated.
    Other questions:
    When a 50 amp trailer is plugged into a 30 amp plug can you operate everything but one ac?
    Have read some concerns regarding using propane to power frig while traveling down the highway?
    Looking to also purchase a generator but very few have a true 50 amp plug, same question here can I run everything but one ac on a30 amp generator? Do I need any adapters or just plug trailer right it I the generator?
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    You can run everything but not at the same time of course
    30 amp is 3600 watts so a hair dryer and a toaster oven can pop the breaker. Just happened to my wife

Propane isn’t an issue while travelling Most of us do it without issue

I assume you have a 3/4 ton truck as well?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes 2019 ram 2500 mega cab diesel. Thanks for response

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what has already been said, regarding your last question, good luck finding a generator with an rv 50amp receptacle. I've personally never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If they do it will be huge which also means heavy. Probably best to get 2 smaller ones that you can tie together.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance
    We have a Firman WH02942 Dual Fuel generator from Costco and can plug our 30 amp 22RBE right into the generator.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can. The 50 amp service will be needed to run both a/ c units along with all your accessories. There are times even when I’ved camped I just had 30 amp service . I currently dry camp with 2 Honda 2000 eu generators . Just can use 1 a/ c unit. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Champion 3400 watt 30 amp duel fuel inverter generator. It does just fine running one AC and more normal electronics. When you want to run the Microwave or hair dryer, just turn off the AC for that period of time. You can parallel two Champion inverter generators together with the parallel box and that has a 50 amp plug. See Champion's website they have a list of what gens you can link together.

Most people I'd say do travel with there propane on to run the refrig, there are some tunnels and areas that do restrict it for the period in the tunnel, or whatever area. So, you just have to know those restrictions - however, I have yet to come across one, must be more on the East coast.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Progressive Dynamics electrical management system with the remote display. When I'm on 30 amp service I watch the load on both legs of the AC. You really have to be careful especially when running one A/C, and manage what other high current devices you turn on, i.e. microwave, water heater running on AC, hair dryer. Same in the winter when running the small heaters.

I managed for 35 years with trailers with 30 amp service, and it can easily be done. You just have to pay attention to whats running.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or "You have to pay attention to watts running".

Yeah, the small space heater can trip your breakers too, and the fireplace if you have one - those are the appliances I tend to forgot about. My gen trips and then you have to go outside, in the cold.

My meter shows:
    Leg 1 = 19A with AC running, elect. water heater on, TV, Refrig on elect., some other small electronics...Charge converter was off
    Leg 2 = 12A with AC running, maybe some other low draw electronics

So, to run this on gens I really need about 4400-4500 watts total. I have the Champion 3400/3100 duel fuel and a smaller Champion 2000 gas generator that can be paralleled together but never have done that configuration. Maybe I'll get around to trying that set-up one day.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2021 RAM 3500 MegaCab SWD Diesel 4x4
    SOLD --> 2020 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other questions:
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    I have a 2021 29RLS, been living in it for the past 6 months while new house is being built in Florida. No problem running on 30 amp. One A/C unit will cool the rig but it will creep up to 78 during hottest part of the day with temps in 90s. With both A/C units on 50 amp I set the bedroom A/C unit on 72, and living room at 74. The living room A/C only kicks on during hottest part of day.

The trick to 30 amp is to run the fridge and hot water tank on propane. Same rule for running on generator, I use a 3400 watt champion generator no problem. Love my 29RLS. Easy to tow with my 2016 Chevy 2500 gas engine. Closets and pantry a little small for full time use but we have adapted.

As for traveling with fridge on propane, most people do. Because my truck uses gasoline, when I pull into a gas station, I shut off the propane tank, then turn it on after I pull away from pump. The fridge will automatically start up. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast