User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Champion just introduced a higher wattage inverter generator that be fantastic for a camper.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlatham View Post
    When a 50 amp trailer is plugged into a 30 amp plug can you operate everything but one ac?…

Other tips or watchouts?
    We frequent parks with 30a plugs only in cooler weather (ie no demand for 2nd AC). Otherwise just have to juggle microwave,elect water heater, space heater, coffee pot. In most cases you can run 3 high current appliances but no more on 30a.

General advice on used trailers
    - look for signs of water damage (stains on ceiling, soft corners on underside of slides, mildew smell)
    -check roof for rips
    -general scent of the rig. If it smells like sewer or mildew it likely has not been taken care of.
    -ask for service-related receipts (ie, did the owner get the wheel bearings repacked after first year?)
    -run all subsystems, pressurize plumbing so you can see any obvious leaks, make sure furnace runs, water heater, etc. i have seen sellers rent a campsite for a day when the rig would not fit in their driveway purely for the purpose of demonstrating all the subsystems.
    -shop labor rate is $120ish/hr so make sure you are not taking someone’s neglected problem or at least be aware of it and negotiate the price down.
    -if you are a first time buyer take a RV friend with you or hire an inspector.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give you some input on the 260RD.
    Light. Tows very easily
    Very roomy downstairs
    Good storage
    Great floor plan for two people
    One of the few 5th wheels under 30 ft. We like camping in national parks

Dislikes:
    Biggest by far is you must put the slide out to access the bathroom. Not a huge problem but one more step when you make a pit stop
    Sewer hose storage is under the slide
    Blue lighted switch on control panel for main lights is really bright

I would buy it again
    2020 Ram CTD 2500 SC SB
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Propane - technically you are not supposed to run open flame on the road (wonder if anyone turns it off before fueling at a gas station). They want them closed to.

That said, risk is low and tons do it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Rocky View Post
    I

Most people I'd say do travel with there propane on to run the refrig, there are some tunnels and areas that do restrict it for the period in the tunnel, or whatever area. So, you just have to know those restrictions - however, I have yet to come across one, must be more on the East coast.
    You can't go through any of the Baltimore tunnels with propane. You have to use the Francis Scott Key Bridge it adds around 25 miles to the trip.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, how much propane does a frig use? Have never tried this.
    Dan & Kathy
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to buy used, have it narrowed down to a 2020 260rd or 2018 29 rls. Both show very little use and are 1 owner units. Any input on these units would be appreciated.
    Other questions:
    When a 50 amp trailer is plugged into a 30 amp plug can you operate everything but one ac?
    Have read some concerns regarding using propane to power frig while traveling down the highway?
    Looking to also purchase a generator but very few have a true 50 amp plug, same question here can I run everything but one ac on a30 amp generator? Do I need any adapters or just plug trailer right it I the generator?
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    Tip: I have the 50amp Power Watchdog Hughes Autoformer PWD50-EPO which has a bluetooth app which shows you how many watts and amps your using so you can easily track and adjust what to turn on/off when on a 30 amp power source.
    Dan & Kathy
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    Just curious, how much propane does a frig use? Have never tried this.
    I've never really measured but it's really not much.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to buy used, have it narrowed down to a 2020 260rd or 2018 29 rls. Both show very little use and are 1 owner units. Any input on these units would be appreciated.
    Other questions:
    When a 50 amp trailer is plugged into a 30 amp plug can you operate everything but one ac?
    Have read some concerns regarding using propane to power frig while traveling down the highway?
    Looking to also purchase a generator but very few have a true 50 amp plug, same question here can I run everything but one ac on a30 amp generator? Do I need any adapters or just plug trailer right it I the generator?
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    Pleas let me address a couple of your concerns... The "30 amps" is an absolute maximum. The closer you get to 30 amps draw the hotter all of the wiring gets. I used ammeters to gage the current usage in our Solitude:

Microwave only ~ 12 amps
    Hot water tank ~ 10 amps
    Elec/LP fridge ~ 9 amps
    A/C #1 ~ 12 - 14 amps
    A/C #2 ~ 12 - 14 Amps
    Inverter ~ 5 amps
    Fireplace heater ~ 12 amps
    Everything else ~ 1 amp

On 30 amps, we can run one (1) AC set to 'high' and a couple of fans, as well as one other appliance. On 30 amp power I keep the fridge and hot water on LP.

One of my main concerns is the receptacle I plug into. With only 30 amps available almost everyone maxes-out their power usage which weakens the prongs of the receptacle causing a LOT of heat. Although I monitor and keep total of total my amperage I have still managed to melt a couple of 30 amp plugs. I even had the State park replace one receptacle before I would use it. They thanked me for letting them know...

Just use common sense and don't push too close to the limit of the 30 amp max.

In Michigan we don't have any tunnels to speak of, but we have been pulling with LP fridge on for decades. Just make sure it is completely off if you visit a gas station...
    Last edited by fez111; 08-08-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other questions:
    Other tips or watchouts?
    Thanks in advance
    As for using the propane while driving most of us do it all of the time. I've been pulling an RV of some type for over 22 years and never turn it off with the exception of going through the Baltimore MD Bay Bridge Tunnel. While fueling at gas stations I usually try and only pull up to the first pump so my rig is further away from any fuel source. Plus you have to remember that gasoline vapor is heavier than air and will sink to the ground and will accumulate in an enclosed unvented environment... so being outside in the open air with your refrigerator pilot light about 3' above ground level your chances of having a problem are extremely small. It's the idiots that are smoking a butt while refueling that you have to be aware of.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast