User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Damaged by Wind - Can't Close It

Our awning arm was damaged by a brief thunderstorm that went through the campground while we were away. We returned to find the frame on one side bent quite badly and the roller coupling at the end of the awning bent also. See pics for details. Now it's way out of line. We can't open the door more than halfway or it scrapes on the awning. The awning won't retract - it just clicks. The vinyl part of the awning isn't damaged. We obviously can't tow it. We're at a national park in Michigan and are here for over a week, so we don't need to leave right away. This is a new trailer - only our third camping trip. Obviously we need to contact insurance, but what's the next steps? Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210801_110941443.jpg   IMG_20210801_110840660.jpg   IMG_20210801_111112016.jpg   IMG_20210801_111124538.jpg   IMG_20210801_111203845.jpg  

Last edited by Frogger321; 08-01-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger321 View Post
    Our awning arm was damaged by a brief thunderstorm that went through the campground while we were away. We returned to find the frame on one side bent quite badly and the roller coupling at the end of the awning bent also. See pics for details. Now it's way out of line. We can't open the door more than halfway or it scrapes on the awning. The awning won't retract - it just clicks. The vinyl part of the awning isn't damaged. We obviously can't tow it. We're at a national park in Michigan and are here for over a week, so we don't need to leave right away. This is a new trailer - only our third camping trip. Obviously we need to contact insurance, but what's the next steps? Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Unless you can find a mobile tech who can fix it for you, and that's somewhat doubtful as National Parks don't allow all mobile techs to work within park limits, it seems to me that you'll have to remove the awning yourself to transport the rig to a facility that will fix it.

You've now learned a valuable lesson - don't leave awning out when away.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Yes we beat ourselves up for leaving it open. We are usually vigilant about closing it, but made the mistake of believing a weather report that said any precipitation would be north. We were heading back to the rig when the storm broke. We missed being there by 5 miles. We will close it every time now.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bend it back

Take it apart and use an axe or whatever you have on hand and bend the metal back in line
    Won’t be perfect but it may get you home

Goodluck with insurance though
    Can’t imagine them covering an awning

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogger321 View Post
    Sorry to hear of the trouble Frogger. One crazy thought I had for your situation is call Grand Design or LCI (sounds like it's still under warranty), have them ship you a whole new replacement awning. Have it sent to the closest UPS store if it can't come to the campground. Take the old one off and install the new one. Here's one YouTube video on it but it looks like there are a dozen other videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-ksAe3kgo. I did something similar to get a hydac hydraulic valve for jackstand (only difference was they shipped directly to RV Park).
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 08-01-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! I will call them tomorrow.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Sorry to hear of the trouble Frogger. One crazy thought I had for your situation is call Grand Design or LCI (sounds like it's still under warranty), have them ship you a whole new replacement awning. Have it sent to the closest UPS store if it can't come to the campground. Take the old one off and install the new one. Here's one YouTube video on it but it looks like there are a dozen other videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-ksAe3kgo. I did something similar to get a hydac hydraulic valve for jackstand (only difference was they shipped directly to RV Park).
    Warranty?

For wind damage?

Never happen

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Warranty?

For wind damage?

Never happen

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Agree that's a really tough putt, but every now and then customer support will surprise me. Even if they don't cover it I think they could ship out a new part, but fair point, you may have to eat 100% of the cost on this little booboo.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ratchet straps are your friend. It's wrecked already so forcing it closed if you can and strapping it enough to hold till you get someplace to remove it is all you can do if you can't remove and haul it away. Such a bummer, but things happen.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ******** happens, we all get rushed, distracted.... as others mentioned, try and force straight enough so you can get it back in enough to get home. Tie wraps, ratchet straps.... what ever it takes. Worse case is to disassemble it completely and store it in the tt for your trip home. Try and salvage the parts that aren't bent. BTW, we just got back from quick get away and we had one of those distracting neighbors. You know the kind that wants to help but never does anything but talk and talk and talk while your trying to get things done. On the second day, we were going hiking at a near by park and we were such in a hurry to leave (avoid him) that I forgot mine open also.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE