Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel bearings.

I purchased a new BHS 367 in February. Currently have about 3500 miles of travel on it. Are the wheel bearing packable or sealed and how often would you do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are most likely open-type bearings that have to be packed. Personally I would check them now, to insure they are well greased and there are no nicks
    or gouges on the bearing and/or seal areas. If they are in good shape grease-wise, and in nick-free condition, I would check them every few years. Maybe
    after 20,000 miles or so. Or you could pull them and repack them when you do your other vehicle wheels.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are open tapered bearings requiring cleaning and repacking. Replace the inner seals each time. DO NOT use the Zerk fitting on the hub - that's there for marine applications and RV bearings should be cleaned, inspected and repacked at regular intervals (usually 10k miles or annually).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 12-18-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are open tapered bearings requiring cleaning and repacking. Replace the inner seals each time (I replace the outer seals each time, too). DO NOT use the Zerk fitting on the hub - that's there for marine applications and RV bearings should be cleaned, inspected and repacked at regular intervals (usually 10k miles or annually).

Rob
    Hi Rob. Not sure what outer seals you are referencing. I only have inner seals on my axles. On the outer end I only have the flat washer, castle nut and grease cap. Maybe you mean the grease cap.

Another Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Hi Rob. Not sure what outer seals you are referencing. I only have inner seals on my axles. On the outer end I only have the flat washer, castle nut and grease cap. Maybe you mean the grease cap.

Another Rob
    I misspoke - you are correct! (And the grease cap does not need replacing.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just repacked my bearings at 3 years and roughly 2500 miles. 1 was pristine, but the three others needed repacking. If you pull the axle information off the axle tube and email Dexter, they will send you a build sheet on what you have with all the part numbers.

Having that you can shop bearings and seals. If replacing a bearing you need to replace the race too so get the sets. I went with Timkin brand bearing and seals. Summit Racing has the best pricing I could find and very fast shipping

I had my done by a local trailer place (not my dealer) but next time I will do it myself.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing with repacking wheel bearings is to make sure you get the, misnamed, pre-load set correctly. Many issues with wheel bearings occur
    right after a brake/wheel bearing maintenance job due to bearings set too tight or too loose, with too tight generally the culprit.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The main thing with repacking wheel bearings is to make sure you get the, misnamed, pre-load set correctly. Many issues with wheel bearings occur
    right after a brake/wheel bearing maintenance job due to bearings set too tight or too loose, with too tight generally the culprit.
    Dexter has a how to video that shows the correct way (50 ft/lbs load, then back off to finger tight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH-h3W9XvI

However a warning - there are literally hundreds of other how-to videos and most are wrong.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check them now. I did mine soon after purchase. The bearings were fine but two brake assemblies were toast...on one the adjuster fell on the ground when I pulled the hub. The other was missing most of the brake material.
    The delivery drivers use the trailer brakes almost exclusively to the dealers.

I've had 5th wheels for 20 years, & these were the first shoes I've had to replace.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I misspoke - you are correct! (And the grease cap does not need replacing.)

Rob
    Thanks Rob - I was wondering if I was missing something on a new axle.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast