User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with awning lights

Greetings, I turned my awning lights on, which also turns on my outdoor speaker lights. I have a 2016 Imagine 2950RL TT. After a couple of hours, both the awning and speaker lights went out. I checked the wires from the awning lights to where they enter the awning frame and found no broken or frayed wires. I found a 2 amp fuse behind the control panel where the awning light switch is and the fuse was blown. I replaced the 2 amp fuse, it worked for about five minutes, then the fuse blew again. I'm not well versed in electrical issues. Anything I can try or check? Thanks in advance!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2 amp fuse seems pretty small for that much light, even with it being LED.

I looked at a few of the LED strips available online and a 17 foot strip draws 2.7 amps and a 16 foot strip that draws 5 amps.

If it were me, I would verify the power requirement of the lights that are installed and be sure the 2 amp fuse is the proper one.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    A 2 amp fuse seems pretty small for that much light, even with it being LED.

I looked at a few of the LED strips available online and a 17 foot strip draws 2.7 amps and a 16 foot strip that draws 5 amps.

If it were me, I would verify the power requirement of the lights that are installed and be sure the 2 amp fuse is the proper one.

There is a sticker where the fuse plugs in that states "2 amp fuse only". I actually tried a 3 amp fuse and that blew also. Ugh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defndr View Post
    There is a sticker where the fuse plugs in that states "2 amp fuse only". I actually tried a 3 amp fuse and that blew also. Ugh
    Well, the easy possibility has been eliminated.

Time to start looking for a short in the wiring or a place where the wire is pinched against metal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same problem while replacing the old white LED strip with a new RGB and blew the 2 amp fuse and installed a 5 amp. Thanks, for the clue where this inline fuse was behind the switch panel.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Defndr,

What I would check is on the awning itself where the motor is. The wires are bundled in there. Check for chafing where it could be shorting out.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Defndr,

What I would check is on the awning itself where the motor is. The wires are bundled in there. Check for chafing where it could be shorting out.

Thanks. I will try that.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three lights bulbs in the awning string that are out or very dim. Is that a fuse? Seems unlikely as the others work great. Do you have to them replace the whole strip?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 60356jai View Post
    I have three lights bulbs in the awning string that are out or very dim. Is that a fuse? Seems unlikely as the others work great. Do you have to them replace the whole strip?
    Its been my experience that you would have to replace the whole strip. or if its not too noticeable wait until more go out then replace the whole strip. Happy Camping!
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ