User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks, OP here, and just and update. Looks like the Caterpillar Oil is on national backorder, not available anywhere. I'm torn between just using the fork oil or waiting 30-60 days for the Cat Oil.

Believe me, I've tried, the guy on Ebay that comes up on every search is apparently out of business and not taking orders. Nothing on Amazon. All the CAT dealers in California are backordered. Even ordered it off a Perterbuilt site that advertised that they had it. They got back to me and said it's backordered.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3rd View Post
    Hey Folks, OP here, and just and update. Looks like the Caterpillar Oil is on national backorder, not available anywhere. I'm torn between just using the fork oil or waiting 30-60 days for the Cat Oil.

Believe me, I've tried, the guy on Ebay that comes up on every search is apparently out of business and not taking orders. Nothing on Amazon. All the CAT dealers in California are backordered. Even ordered it off a Perterbuilt site that advertised that they had it. They got back to me and said it's backordered.
    If you don't want to wait for the CAT fluid, do the two-quart exchange with one of the other approved fork oils (one quart of fork oil didn't work for me). On the other hand, the popping isn't harmful as far as I know...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up just ordering the Torco 15 oil off Ebay. I'm gonna add 2 quarts.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you don't want to wait for the CAT fluid, do the two-quart exchange with one of the other approved fork oils (one quart of fork oil didn't work for me). On the other hand, the popping isn't harmful as far as I know...

Rob
    Just added a quart of the Maxima fork oil an hour ago. I noticed that my fluid reservoir is about 2” below max fill when slides are in & levelers are up but still has 3” in it when all slides & levelers are down. I’m going to order another quart of Maxima & top up to the fill line. We get a dull thud from drivers side of the 345GK every hour or so in hot weather. I’m wondering if it’s the hydraulics or sun causing expansion of the sheet metal along bottom of trailer. Anyone have any ideas?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All, I really need your counsel and help.

We started experiencing the popping condition after we weathered the severe storm that went through Panama City Beach last Wednesday. We move to Gulf Shores the next morning. No issues raising jacks and hitching up. However, when we arrived at Gulf Shores and went to unhitch, the popping occurred as did almost what I would call a screeching sound as we raise/lower legs and retract/extend slides. Also, there was a little slippage in the front legs’ height. Finally, I couldn’t get some of the rear jacks to fully extend.

I have scoured this forum, watched “all” of the YouTube videos and spoke with Lippert. The easiest and somewhat universal “answer” seems to be to replace up to two quarts of existing fluid with an equal amount of Fork Oil. Then, I need to cycle the legs up and down a put the slides in and out several times.

I am good with all of this. But in the back of my mind I am worried about how it so quickly went from starting to experience popping sounds to all the other symptoms, especially the screeching sound (this sound is captured on the video posted by the husband/wife traveling nurses who ended up replacing all of their fluid with hydraulic fluid).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

John
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    All, I really need your counsel and help.

We started experiencing the popping condition after we weathered the severe storm that went through Panama City Beach last Wednesday. We move to Gulf Shores the next morning. No issues raising jacks and hitching up. However, when we arrived at Gulf Shores and went to unhitch, the popping occurred as did almost what I would call a screeching sound as we raise/lower legs and retract/extend slides. Also, there was a little slippage in the front legs’ height. Finally, I couldn’t get some of the rear jacks to fully extend.

I have scoured this forum, watched “all” of the YouTube videos and spoke with Lippert. The easiest and somewhat universal “answer” seems to be to replace up to two quarts of existing fluid with an equal amount of Fork Oil. Then, I need to cycle the legs up and down a put the slides in and out several times.

I am good with all of this. But in the back of my mind I am worried about how it so quickly went from starting to experience popping sounds to all the other symptoms, especially the screeching sound (this sound is captured on the video posted by the husband/wife traveling nurses who ended up replacing all of their fluid with hydraulic fluid).

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

John
    Stiction could explain the popping sounds, but not the rest of what you're describing. Have you checked the hydraulic fluid for water contamination? Is the fluid at the proper level (at the top line on the reservoir will all struts and slides retracted)?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thanks for the quick reply. I have not checked for water contamination. Was planning to check fluid level as I close up the slides and raise jacks in preparation for exchanging the two quarts of new fluid. Sorry for being such a dummy, but what do I need to do to test for water contamination?
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBadger View Post
    Rob, thanks for the quick reply. I have not checked for water contamination. Was planning to check fluid level as I close up the slides and raise jacks in preparation for exchanging the two quarts of new fluid. Sorry for being such a dummy, but what do I need to do to test for water contamination?
    I've only seen water contamination in engine oil, not ATF. In an engine, the oil will have a lighter, slightly milky appearance. Doing searches, hydraulic fluid will become cloudy if it has water in it (the ATF is usually clear).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I presume the remedy will be to completely extract all current “hydraulic” fluid and replace it with “new” fluid? I maybe should plan to also leve room for the fork oil. Does this make sense to you?
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    Curt A20 Slider

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast