User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Auburn, GA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hello From Auburn, GA

    We just put a deposit on a Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE. We pick it up on August 19th and are now shopping for a new truck to pull it with, which will most likely be a Ford F-150.

    I have camped when I was a kid as well as my wife. Our parents started in tents, then pop-ups, then trailers and finally class c motor homes. My wife and I had an Aliner pop-up a few years ago but life got in the way so we sold it. Now Iím retired and my wife is retiring next March. We plan on spending some ďusĒ time and see some new country along with enjoying the outdoors, which is what camping is all about(IMO).

    I did a lot of research and happened upon Grand Design. I liked the floor plans and that everything is pretty much standard on the units in the XLS line. I would have liked a 12 volt refrigerator but Iíve used the dual fuel before and it works well. We stopped by Gander and they tried to sell us a Cougar but I didnít like vents in floor and the higher price. I also really like this forum and the help everyone gives. I have learned so much from reading the threads here.

    We live near Atlanta and the local dealer didnít have models we wanted in stock and they were pushing us to just buy a trailer. We drive to Alabama on Saturday and the price was $8k lower for the larger unit. Plus we could touch and feel both models we were looking at.

    Plus they have a campground they own next door and encourage you to spend the night(which is free) when you pick it up. This way you can check to see that everything is working well. In fact, when we arrived, the salesman was out at the campground checking on a couple after their night stay.

    There was no pressure, no hard sell. Here is our price, we add $299 fee. The salesman left us alone but was around to answer any questions. We werenít going to purchase but with a great price and great people, we decided to move forward.

    Very excited to pick up our new camper and start our new chapter of life. The hard part is going to be driving through Atlanta to get home, itís like a race track. Lol.

    Sorry for the long post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Russ & Sheila
    2022 Image XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ford F-150
    Auburn, GA

  2. #2
    Seasoned Camper Cannon07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Palmetto, Ga.
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from just south of Atlanta. I go thru there many times a year. Went thru with my 5er last Fri. and came back yesterday with no problems. Just go thru between 9:30 and 3:00 and you will be ok.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

  3. #3
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Auburn, GA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon07 View Post
    Welcome from just south of Atlanta. I go thru there many times a year. Went thru with my 5er last Fri. and came back yesterday with no problems. Just go thru between 9:30 and 3:00 and you will be ok.
    Thanks. We drove home on HWY 20 last Saturday and there was tons of traffic when we were close to Atlanta. I will make sure to go through during those hours. Thanks again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Russ & Sheila
    2022 Image XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ford F-150
    Auburn, GA

  4. #4
    Site Team Ynot4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    ON & QC Canada
    Posts
    4,769
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group and the 22mle gang. Also congrats on retirement. May a new chapter filled with great memories begin. Doing your shakedown at their site is a good thing. As for driving down the highway, just pick your lane and drive at your pace.

    Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resauers View Post
    We just put a deposit on a Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE. We pick it up on August 19th and are now shopping for a new truck to pull it with, which will most likely be a Ford F-150.

    I have camped when I was a kid as well as my wife. Our parents started in tents, then pop-ups, then trailers and finally class c motor homes. My wife and I had an Aliner pop-up a few years ago but life got in the way so we sold it. Now I’m retired and my wife is retiring next March. We plan on spending some “us” time and see some new country along with enjoying the outdoors, which is what camping is all about(IMO).

    I did a lot of research and happened upon Grand Design. I liked the floor plans and that everything is pretty much standard on the units in the XLS line. I would have liked a 12 volt refrigerator but I’ve used the dual fuel before and it works well. We stopped by Gander and they tried to sell us a Cougar but I didn’t like vents in floor and the higher price. I also really like this forum and the help everyone gives. I have learned so much from reading the threads here.

    We live near Atlanta and the local dealer didn’t have models we wanted in stock and they were pushing us to just buy a trailer. We drive to Alabama on Saturday and the price was $8k lower for the larger unit. Plus we could touch and feel both models we were looking at.

    Plus they have a campground they own next door and encourage you to spend the night(which is free) when you pick it up. This way you can check to see that everything is working well. In fact, when we arrived, the salesman was out at the campground checking on a couple after their night stay.

    There was no pressure, no hard sell. Here is our price, we add $299 fee. The salesman left us alone but was around to answer any questions. We weren’t going to purchase but with a great price and great people, we decided to move forward.

    Very excited to pick up our new camper and start our new chapter of life. The hard part is going to be driving through Atlanta to get home, it’s like a race track. Lol.

    Sorry for the long post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We live in your area and just returned from a trip to Florida. Usually we do as Cannon07 said but tried something new and it
    worked for getting thru Atl. We left our last stop around 1 p.m. (our campground gave us a late check out since it was
    a weekday). Stopped for a nice dinner in Macon, got to South of Atl about 7:30, used I285 to I85 to I985. Traffic was
    a consistent 60 to 70.
    We would rather sit for a good dinner than sit in Atlanta traffic. As we all know if you catch a wreck there is no solution.
    Just another alternative:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

  6. #6
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Auburn, GA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    We live in your area and just returned from a trip to Florida. Usually we do as Cannon07 said but tried something new and it
    worked for getting thru Atl. We left our last stop around 1 p.m. (our campground gave us a late check out since it was
    a weekday). Stopped for a nice dinner in Macon, got to South of Atl about 7:30, used I285 to I85 to I985. Traffic was
    a consistent 60 to 70.
    We would rather sit for a good dinner than sit in Atlanta traffic. As we all know if you catch a wreck there is no solution.
    Just another alternative:
    Bob A.
    Thanks Bob, I appreciate your comments. I was considering 285 or just staying on 20 and doing what @Ynot4me2 ; stated, pick a lane and drive at my pace. This will be my first time pulling a trailer this size but I will have a good amount if time with it before I get to Atlanta. After I have read some posts about lug nuts, I may also stop at a rest stop along the way to check those. I will also be checking before I leave. Looking for Torque wrench now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Russ & Sheila
    2022 Image XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ford F-150
    Auburn, GA

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resauers View Post
    Thanks Bob, I appreciate your comments. I was considering 285 or just staying on 20 and doing what @Ynot4me2 ; stated, pick a lane and drive at my pace. This will be my first time pulling a trailer this size but I will have a good amount if time with it before I get to Atlanta. After I have read some posts about lug nuts, I may also stop at a rest stop along the way to check those. I will also be checking before I leave. Looking for Torque wrench now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lug nuts are important.
    Another important addition is a good TPMS (Tire Pressure Mgt. System).
    We use TireMinder but there are several good systems out there.
    Hope this is helpful:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

  8. #8
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Auburn, GA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Lug nuts are important.
    Another important addition is a good TPMS (Tire Pressure Mgt. System).
    We use TireMinder but there are several good systems out there.
    Hope this is helpful:
    Bob A.
    Very helpful, thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Russ & Sheila
    2022 Image XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ford F-150
    Auburn, GA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.