Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling through Canada

Anyone travel through Canada and bring along a pistol for personal protection? Did you get permits or just not say anything? Does the border patrol automatically search your camper?
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word! (okay 3) DON'T DO IT! We have traveled into Canada numerous times and because of my retired from profession they always ask multiple times and have taken everything out of my motorcycle saddlebags and trailer I tow behind it to check. If they catch you with a handgun, you will go to jail. If you are real lucky you can hide it and hope like the dickens they don't find it. Not worth the hassle.
    Mike
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only protection you'll need is from the skunk or raccoon if you leave you're trash out. That said, bears can be problematictic if you travel to some areas. Just do some research on where to avoid. Having worked in law enforcement in Ontario for almost 35 yrs, I can tell you that Mike is correct...you will be off to the local lock up if you're inspected by CBSA and a firearm is located without the proper permits. Not worth it. And you don't need it. Sure in some parts of the bigger cities (Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, etc .,) life can be a bit sketchy, but don't lose any sleep over it. You'll be fine. And you'll be adding 20% or so to whatever you spend here.
    Let me know if you're heading to Ontario and I'll point you in the right direction.
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was more about having one for travel in the US but to get where I want to go we have to go through Canada. I don't really want to mess with the permits either.
    2014 303 RLS

The Duke 316

Don't Do IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehead View Post
    Anyone travel through Canada and bring along a pistol for personal protection? Did you get permits or just not say anything? Does the border patrol automatically search your camper?
    My advice would be to stay out of Canada if you want to take any kind of firearm! I had my entire RV searched and they confiscated my firearm. I crossed at Buffalo and the whole lot was full of RV's being searched. You have to stand outside while some stranger rips your RV apart. I have not been back.
    Last edited by Dave and Monica; 05-03-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean even if you claim you don't have a weapon they will search your camper anyway?
    2014 303 RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Eaglehead,

If you need weapons to go to Alaska, I can't offer comment on that. This will be a problem since you have to go through Canada to get there. Maybe you can ship your weapons to Alaska and pick them up once you arrive ?

You are welcome in Canada . . . and you won't encounter anyone here that you will need to shoot. As kanatachris says, we have inner city problems, but this is not where you will be going with your RV. Leave your weapons at home and just answer the border questions openly and honestly. There will be no hostility from the border guards (going in either direction across the border) unless you get "evasive". Remember that their whole training is focused on detecting "evasive" . . . and they are good at this ! Once you spend some summer time in Canada, I know that you will be a regular visitor . . . on the other side . . . perhaps we can get together in Florida in January ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to Niagara Falls, not Alaska. Florida sounds good!
    2014 303 RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can get a permit to bring a rifle or shotgun across the border, as long as you have a valid reason to do so. Hunting is a valid reason. Personal protection is not. If you're not really planning on hunting, then don't use that reason to get a permit. They'll catch you. All handguns under 26" in length are prohibited. You can be arrested, and have your personal property confiscated. Don't even think you can hide it. If they do a thorough search, they will find it, no matter how tricky you are at hiding it. They have X-ray machines which are very detailed and can find a handgun anywhere.

Here is a link that will give you the details on how to bring a firearm into Canada. If you circumvent the system and get caught, you can look at the bright side. Canadian jails are much nicer than the ones in Mexico!

http://canadawelcomesyou.net/firearms.html

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast