Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Switching from a Long Bed to a Short Bed - any real downside?

This question is for folks that actually switched from a Long Bed to a Short bed. Also please no suggestions on choosing another brand truck.

Well Ford sure messed up my 2022 truck selection. Light Baja Tan or Onyx Black in the Lariat trim level. Platinum is Back or Dark Marsala whatever that is. Limited is gray. I don't want Black - to hot - and the Baja is way too light and will show every speck of dirt. So it looks like I need to get the King Ranch again. I don't mind, except it means getting a crew cab.

I currently have an 04 King Ranch, CC, Long bed, dually. ( 176" wheelbase) I don't need this big of a truck for my 220RK and I doubt we will go much larger in the future. So I was thinking of a Super Cab Long Bed SRW. 164" wheelbase in the optional 11,400 GVW which is close to what my 04 is. Save 12" on length and save on tire costs, etc.

But with the leather color choices to get a real brown, I need the KR which only comes in a crew crew cab. I can get it in the SRW but I am stuck with the long truck unless I go SB. The SB configuration is 16" shorter than my current truck.

The space I loose is forward of the hitch. I was planing on an in bed aux tank as stock tank in this config is 34 gal (CC LB is 48). I have 36gal now. The transfer flow that works with a rolling bed cover (there are others too) will still fit, but only leaves 6" forward of the hitch from what I can calculate. To carry plywood or lumber means tailgate down and probably would need an extension to stabilize with the aux tank- not a deal killer. The times I have needed to carry long items has been few. I do have a GN trailer for big projects.

5th wheel towing

I can switch to use the turning point hitch, but I am not sure of towing performance. Not sure I like the wedge forces on the hitch. Others with the 6.5 foot bed say they are OK with a standard 5th wheel hitch if set to the rearward position. I think mine will do 2". Otherwise get a slider to fit the puck system. To use my current hitch I will need a puck to rail adapter. It will fit, but barely with the aux tank.

On the upside my KR came with rear bucket seats which don't fold down and the new CC seats will fold flat making more room for stuff and dog. Also on the CC the door issue the SC has in parking lots goes away.

So for those that switched from a Long Bed to a Short bed - any regrets or issues?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 27 RL which if I recall correctly has front cap in the same configuration as your trailer. We pull it with a GMC 61/2 bed with a generic hitch. The pin is centered over the axle. While we could hit the truck cab in theory, in practice it hasn’t been an issue.
    I was concerned , but our sales person pulls a 27 RL with a standard bed Ford and a non slider, was adamant it would be fine. In this case the salesman was right.
    Just be aware in a tight U turn. I have never found the need to jack the trailer to 90 degrees and estimate I can get to 75 or 80 but would,avoid that for,other reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you with the switch from a long bed to a short bed...I would never consider a short bed in a Super Duty. I always appreciate the additional bed space, towing or not and the minimal impact to maneuverability is a very fair tradeoff to me. I can tell you that I love the Marsala interior in my truck. There were many reasons I special ordered my truck, and at the top of the list was getting the Marsala interior which is almost impossible to find on a dealer lot. I drove 100 miles just to see a truck with the Marsala interior in person before I placed my order. I have had Fords trucks with camel and black leather interiors as well, and this is my favorite by far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181103_142542_resized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	35890
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    I can't help you with the switch from a long bed to a short bed...I would never consider a short bed in a Super Duty. I always appreciate the additional bed space, towing or not and the minimal impact to maneuverability is a very fair tradeoff to me. I can tell you that I love the Marsala interior in my truck. There were many reasons I special ordered my truck, and at the top of the list was getting the Marsala interior which is almost impossible to find on a dealer lot. I drove 100 miles just to see a truck with the Marsala interior in person before I placed my order. I have had Fords trucks with camel and black leather interiors as well, and this is my favorite by far.

Name:	20181103_142542_resized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	35890
    In the picture is is almost the color of the king ranch. How would you describe it in a comparison? Looks beautiful.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    In the picture is is almost the color of the king ranch. How would you describe it in a comparison? Looks beautiful.
    More red-brown as opposed to the KR which is more orange-brown. To me, it feels like a color you might find in a luxury car. It usually photographs lighter than it appears in person.

Name:	20190629_182528_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	35891

Name:	20190629_182545_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	35892
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you're looking for long to short opinions but....We went from a CC short to a CC long. We had no issues with the short Ford . Never really felt the need for a slider.
    We did go long when we got a new truck and can tell you we'll never go back to a short as long as we are towing. The extra backing radius is really nice to have at times as well as the space to pack some extras if wanted.

I like the interior color of the marsala , not an average boring looking interior.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I know you're looking for long to short opinions but....We went from a CC short to a CC long. We had no issues with the short Ford . Never really felt the need for a slider.
    We did go long when we got a new truck and can tell you we'll never go back to a short as long as we are towing. The extra backing radius is really nice to have at times as well as the space to pack some extras if wanted.

I like the interior color of the marsala , not an average boring looking interior.
    I am going to haft to look at it in person. Too many color variations in the pictures from tan to dark burgundy.

Thanks for the long bed thoughts. Packing for my trip to Georgia has me re-thinking. I am hauling a lot of stuff to my daughter. He bed and frame are on top of the chase lounge strapped down and under bed is full of her boxes. At least we will have a place to sleep during the travel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that is nice when using the turning point, you can use the back corners of the bed since the 5th wheel remains stationary. I keep my generator in the right rear corner.

I would rather have a long bed ford just to have the 48 gallon fuel tank. Sure you could buy the extra bed tank with a diesel but it just takes up bed space. You can't add a extra fuel tank if you go with gas.

Are you sure you want a diesel? The new 7.3l gas is probably making more power than your 2004 diesel unless you have tuned it.

You actually have one of the few 5th wheels that is truly half ton towable. But if you are used to towing it with a diesel dually I don't think you would be satisfied with a half ton.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That camper is only 9000lbs gvw. I’d even consider the 6.2L, 10 speed with 4.30 gears.

I’m a short bed fan myself but given that you have a smaller camper I don’t think you would lose much maneuverability going with that 8 ft bed.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with the Trailair Turning Point pulled by a 2500 crew cab, short bed. I'm very happy with the combination of the B&W Companion hitch. No issues with the Turning Point hitch or the short bed. Mainly because I am trying not to overload the truck or trailer to keep my numbers on the safe side. We've done three short haul trips (about 240 miles each way) plus a two week, 3400 mile, excursion to Utah in June.
    Bob & Belinda
    Part timers headed to full timing, based in Mansfield, TX
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with Trailair Turning Point
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 High Country, 4x4, SRW, B&W Companion Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast